Looking for a good guacamole recipe...any suggestions?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the thread title sort of says it all, doesn't it? :D

I'd like to have a recipe I can use by tomorrow, but it's obviously pretty slow around here on a holiday weekend.

So...if you've got a great recipe and you don't mind sharing, please post one here! Thanks! :)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a recipe to share with you. Usually I toss together the avocado with chopped tomato, lime juice and fresh cilantro.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's certainly a start, so thank you! If nothing else, I'm going to see which ingredients pop up the most frequently and go from there. :D

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Easy enough. I've used this one a few times.

Only change I've made was to use all of the medium onion,

and to hold out 1/3 of the diced avacado, then added it back in at the end, so that I got a mix of textures. (Some chunky to go along with the smooth.)

Oh, and I used sea salt instead of kosher.

Good stuff.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks. I love guacamole, but I've never attempted to make it myself. This'll be a first.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
First guacamole I learned to make was a 3-2-1 recipe, more of a salsa, really.

3 avocados
2 roma tomatoes
1 onion

All basically the same size. All diced into quarter inch cubes.

1 jalapeno (use a spoon to strip away all the seeds. Use the seeds for "fire as you desire".)

Mixed it with a bit of cilantro and lime, a tablespoon of sea salt. All, basically a little at a time until I found a flavor that DB (Darling Bride) liked.

Chill it, and serve.

You can also mash it and smash it to make it creamier.

and now, thanks to you, I must have corona and chips.
adios.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Good tip, thanks. Sorry to contribute to your deliquency, though. :D

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
When I cut avocados, I move the knife through the skin and flesh, around the pit until I've separated it into two halves, which (if it's truly ripe) come right away from the pit. The pit ends up stuck inside one of the halves, and I just smack the pit with the serrated edge of the knife. It sticks, I pull the pit free. I recommend doing this BEFORE margaritas, or you might cut your palm clean across. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon.

I smash up my avocado with a couple tbls of sour cream, and add diced jalapenos, tomatoes, and red onion, along with lime juice and cilantro. Salt to taste.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
My take is the simpler, the better: No mayo, garlic, sour cream, or other foreign ingredients sneaking into the bowl.
Everything to taste:

Avocados roughly mashed with a fork, fresh japanenos minced then crushed with some kosher salt (remove seeds and ribs first), minced red onion, plum tomatoes and cilantro, fresh lime juice.
A dash of ground cumin and cayenne if you're feeling fancy.
Serve with freshly baked or fried wedges of corn tortillas.
And a big margarita, of course.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*drools*

Thanks, everyone. These all look really, really tasty. And thanks for the tips about the seeding, too.

Wouldn't want to mess up on a technicality. LOL! Srsly, though, I know it could mess up the whole works, so thank you.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I had no idea there were so many variations on guacamole. Mine is pretty simple:

avocado, removed from skin with a fork so it's sorta mashed coming out
onion, minced
tomato, diced
salt
lime juice (key limes)
Tabasco sauce

I've never done it any other way, so I don't know how it compares to other people's recipes here, but I love it and can't get enough of it. My sister introduced me to it well over two decades ago and I've loved it ever since. :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Tobasco...the DH would love that addition. I'll have to try that instead of cumin or whatever. I don't have either of those spices, and was thinking of having the hubbster pick some up.

I have Tobasco in the cupboard, though. :D

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I love me some Tabasco sauce. Yum! Great flavour! Unfortunately, the wee little bottle here costs about $4 six months ago, probably $6 or $8 by now with inflation, and I just can't justify the price for that. So I've started making my own hot sauce, but haven't got it perfected yet. I guess the oak barrels really do make a flavour difference. *shrugs*

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
In a pinch, I'll just cut up some Avocado and mix it with a little bit of salsa. It's easy but it doesn't really have that fresh taste.

I really want some nachos and guacamole right now.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love me some Tabasco sauce. Yum! Great flavour! Unfortunately, the wee little bottle here costs about $4 six months ago, probably $6 or $8 by now with inflation, and I just can't justify the price for that. So I've started making my own hot sauce, but haven't got it perfected yet. I guess the oak barrels really do make a flavour difference. *shrugs*

My husband makes a nice hot sauce. I can ask him for the recipe when he gets home tonight, if you like.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty hot, I should warn you. But if you like Tobasco or habanero peppers, it shouldn't be a problem. Unless you can't get your hands on those peppers. He might be able to suggest a substitute, though.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com

My gosh I can't believe how expensive that is. It sounds like shipping some from the states to you would be cheaper than a couple of bottles of the stuff there. Gosh, for $8 you must be able to purchase at least 6 bottles of the stuff here.

I'd be interested in hearing about your homemade hot sauce. I've considered trying to do that but haven't become that creative feeling yet. I'm a Crystal brand hot sauce girl myself. I like the touch of garlic in it.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Tabasco I like because of the flavour, not because it's hot - it ain't. But it tastes nice. Habaneros are child's play to me. I like food hotter than most Sri Lankans, and they like their food hot. No, in a comparison of me against the rest of the world, if there were such a rating system, I would rate in the top 99.99 percentile on tolerating and liking hot food, so no worries there, believe me. It's actually boggled most Sri Lankans. :D Ah, the shock value...

We mainly get a pepper here that's either the Thai chilli or something pretty close to it. It's usually used here when green, but I can sometimes get it when it's riper (red) and much hotter. We don't have other choices for hot peppers here, so it's what I'll use. No worries - I'm good at adapting. :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet! My husband likes his stuff really hot as well, and tempers it for my tolerance. He'd be happy, I'm sure, to help out a fellow chili lover. :D

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
My gosh I can't believe how expensive that is. It sounds like shipping some from the states to you would be cheaper than a couple of bottles of the stuff there. Gosh, for $8 you must be able to purchase at least 6 bottles of the stuff here.
Mayo is now at $8 a bottle, too, so I've started making my own. Yes, it's because it's imported. Local stuff is cheaper, but even there, prices are rising dramatically. We have over 20% inflation a month here. Rice prices are now double or triple where they were six months ago. Eggs are four times what they were five years ago. Coconuts are three times what they were three years ago. You know, just to give you an idea.

Hot sauce, though, is something that I would buy by the 500ml or larger bottle if I could. Or, uh, 2 cups or more per bottle. I mean, I seriously love the stuff, would drink it for breakfast, use it on everything, and really love the stuff. A teeny tiny bottle of 100ml would last me a couple of days if I could use it the way I wanted. :) Happily, and expensively so, the husband agrees with me in that he loves the stuff, too, and loves hot food as much as I do. :D

Shipping it here would not be worth it. Really. There's the cost of postage, and, when it gets here, if it goes through customs, there are the handling charges, import taxes, and bribes that all add up to doubling or tripling prices. Which is why I'm better off making my own. :)

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Sweet! My husband likes his stuff really hot as well, and tempers it for my tolerance. He'd be happy, I'm sure, to help out a fellow chili lover. :D

It would make for a good story as we get arrested for shipping pepper seeds out of the country to Sri Lanka. We'd probably get put on the terrorist list for dealing in illegal pepper products. :D