• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Sentence space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
Ok, I tired to search for this in AW but either I'm a dolt when it comes to our search engine thingie, or nothing is coming up (but I'm sure this has been asked before . . . or maybe not).

ANYway . . . is there a rule on the space between lines? I currently have it set at 1.5 (it's easier for me to read when it's not so jumbled together). But, after looking at some listings, I don't see "line space" being anything of real important versus say, font type. So, what's the rule, if there is one? Single space? 1.5? Double? Doesn't matter?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Use double. It is important on submissions. The only exception is sometimes online magazines want single; they will say in their guidelines if they do.

Hey, cute little girl!

Last edited:

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
You used one of my favorite words just there, Christa ("dolt" - how I love that word!) so I'm inclined to say, do whatever you like. But alleycat is correct. Double it is. It's easier to read, and I know I like to make lots of notes on things, and double gives me the room to do that. Maybe editors do that too. I don't know.

Alleycat is also correct about the cute little girl - my goodness, what a face! How do you keep her from asploding the neighbors from teh Qte?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yes, when submitting, double-spaced is the default (unless guidelines specify otherwise).

When you're writing, of course you can set the line spacing, font and size to anything you want -- whatever's most pleasing to your eye. You can easily change these to double-spaced Courier 12 before you submit your mss. anywhere.

-Derek

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Or double-spaced Times New Roman 12. I compose in double spaced, myself. I like the restful white expanses. ;)

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I like single space. It is so cool when five pages turn into ten magically.

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
You guys crack me up. Thanks for the help! And thanks for the compliments on my daughter. She's my angel. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.