No worries, mate!

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
"No worries" is slang for "no problem" here in Australia. It can mean more than that, but do the Americans (around LA) ever say "no worries"?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno about LA, but here on the East Coast I wouldn't notice if one of my friends said "no worries". Pretty common phrase here.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"No worries" is slang for "no problem" here in Australia. It can mean more than that, but do the Americans (around LA) ever say "no worries"?

No. (At least not in SoCal.) I'm familiar with the phrase from films and books, but I've never heard anyone actually say it.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My aunt, from Washington state, uses it. I live in SoCal, and I've heard it now and then. It's nothing that would make me think twice.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I hear it occassionally here, but not so much in one of the Aus senses of 'no that's fine, don't bother'--only in the more generic 'I'm not bothered' sense.

t0neg0d

Registered
Reaction score
In Seattle, at least, they all seem to be interchangeable:

No worries
No problem
No issue
No biggie

I’m originally from D.C. and tend to say ‘no worries’. Can’t say I actually recall anyone else saying this, but never seemed to make anyone look at me odd. Well, not for that reason anyways. >.<

Me

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
I'm in Northern California (near San Francisco) and both hear and use the phrase all the time. I probably wouldn't find it out of place, but then again I'm not a SoCal resident.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Surely I've heard it (in metro Atlanta), but I can't recall an instance. Even if not, I knew "instinctively" what "no worries" means...I probably wouldn't think twice if I heard someone say it.

There was some physics and/or philosophy book I read many years ago that started off with this quote (or if this isn't exact, something very close to it):

"What is matter?
Never mind...
What is mind?
No matter..."

So where did this thread start? (there's never an indication! I can SEE it's now in Office Party, but why does a mod moving a thread never say where it was moved FROM???)

FWIW, I think it should be moved (back?) to Grammar for Grasshoppers as a discussion of the international use of idioms. Anyone who disagrees can kiss my fa***. ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Surely I've heard it (in metro Atlanta), but I can't recall an instance. Even if not, I knew "instinctively" what "no worries" means...I probably wouldn't think twice if I heard someone say it.

There was some physics and/or philosophy book I read many years ago that started off with this quote (or if this isn't exact, something very close to it):

"What is matter?
Never mind...
What is mind?
No matter..."

So where did this thread start? (there's never an indication! I can SEE it's now in Office Party, but why does a mod moving a thread never say where it was moved FROM???)

FWIW, I think it should be moved (back?) to Grammar for Grasshoppers as a discussion of the international use of idioms. Anyone who disagrees can kiss my fa***. ;)

sportacus

Registered
Reaction score
I use 'no worries' all the time, but I'm not exactly close to Los Angeles. (I'm in Toronto)