I did it!

Juniper1

Registered
Reaction score
It feels more than a little arrogant to post here for such a small and simple thing but I'm doing it anyway.

When I started writing in January I couldn't even tell anyone that I was writing a novel. My goal was to just finish the first draft. I finished it and realized that I could at least say I was working on something. Reading back over it and deciding it didn't need to end up in the burn pile was a big step. I cleaned up the first hundred pages to a point that was tolerable (not finished but tolerable) and figured out that I could possibly let someone else read it. So I did.

To date I've had five readers, all people whose opinions I trust, all avid readers, and the consensus seems best summed up by the message I received today: "I have only one thing to say - Holy crap! I just locked myself in the car to have time to read the next two chapters!"

It may be a standard first novel. It may never go anywhere after revisions end. I know enough about writing to know that I have plenty of work to do. But shoot, to have someone say that they are hooked in a way that happens once every five years or so for them? I feel like the queen of the world.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That is terrific, Juniper and much good luck. Sounds like your off to a jolly good start and :welcome: to the cooler!

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Juniper! Finishing a first draft is something to be proud of and you are already doing revisions. Good luck with it!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
:partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

enjoy revising! that's when you
really make it shine!

congrats!! and tell everyone you
know you've
finished it! it's something to be proud of!

Juniper1

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for getting it.

I have nothing profound to say. I just appreciate the space to be able to share something so small and simple and so completely rock my world kind of good.

Now if only I didn't suck at pacing for action sequences my evening would be going even better.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Congratulations! Finishing that first one and then letting someone read it is a big step. I remember how good I felt when that happened. Good luck.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Good for you! You should feel proud! And to have readers wanting more-that's what it's all about.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! That's a hard thing to do. May you have many happy revisions!

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
:) Way to go! Good luck and keep working on it!!!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't a tiny thing, it's a big thing. Many people give up before getting to this stage. Many more lack the awareness of how long the haul may be. You are doing great!

Juniper1

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to keep my expectations as low as possible so that I don't go into another fifteen year writing drought. Instead I've been treating it like a word puzzle, one that requires more time than usual but provides reward at a significantly higher rate as well.

Thanks again! I don't tend to post much because I'm chicken and because I overthink and delete before posting but I do spend entirely too much time reading here. It gives me the illusion that my day isn't spent alone and the reminder that writing doesn't have to come perfectly or not at all. And it keeps my husband on his toes knowing that I've been asking in the expert forum about knives. :)

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, finishing is such an accomplishment. Congratulations to you, Juniper.

Have a good time revising. That's my favorite part of writing.

Michael Parks

In the moment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelparks.info
Most excellent, Juniper. You've a right to be feeling atop the world! Continue the adventure in the polishing, the texturing, the revisioning or whatever you want to call it! Your excitement is contagious. Thanks for sharing. :)

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
It's worth bragging about--every time I think I have something good it turns out people are either lying to me or are outnumbered (or outbrained) by those who want to burn th ething.

Uh, pardon that downerness right there...

Congrats! Now the real work begins! (heh, aren't you glad to hear me say it?)