Speaking of rules (query concern)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every single thing I've read about querying commands query specific agents and never send email attachments.

So, an agent high on my list is Stephanie Kip Rostan at Levine Greenberg. Stephanie likes books that are hard to put down, and that's been the number one comment my book has garnered from a dozen or so betas. (Not that I'll mention betas in a query, I've been schooled that this is a big no-no.)

I went to submit my carefully crafted query to Ms. Rostan but lo, Levine Greenberg's site informs me not to query specific agents there. Okaaaaay. I carefully fill out their query form, which promises me I can upload 50 pages from my manuscript. Then I get to the end and lo, there is no place in the form for such an upload, or even a window to drop the text into. I look the thing over 65 times, try it in a couple of different browsers, and even have DH look at it in case I have a huge blind spot somewhere.

Nope. No place to attach a sample.

Next, I take all the information I've created especially for their form, and turn it into an email. Per their instructions, I'm careful not to address the email to anyone in particular. Their website says I can attach a file of up to 150 kb.

Now I'm all ready to send this query off, but I just can't click that send button because doing so breaks these rules I've heard over and over again: specify an agent, don't send attachments.

Yet their web site seems to indicate I should do both.

Help!

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
#1 Flip coin
#2 While in air, decide whether heads or tails.

The problem you face with an email with attachments is that some agencies have their computers set to automatically bounce or spam anything with attachments. They use one address for queries, and then use a different one after that.

What I'd do is send two emails and explain that with one your first fifty pages are attached and on the other the first fifty pages are below as part of the email. That seems the safest from your point of view in that you know one email will get through. I think the chances of irritating the agent is low.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
#1 Flip coin
#2 While in air, decide whether heads or tails.

The problem you face with an email with attachments is that some agencies have their computers set to automatically bounce or spam anything with attachments. They use one address for queries, and then use a different one after that.

What I'd do is send two emails and explain that with one your first fifty pages are attached and on the other the first fifty pages are below as part of the email. That seems the safest from your point of view in that you know one email will get through. I think the chances of irritating the agent is low.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe
Thanks, Jim. I went ahead and sent it with the attachment. I triple-checked their site, and it said "attachment" more than once, which I'm taking to mean "attachment" rather than "in the body of the email." If my email bounces, I'll simply resubmit with the sample in the body of the email.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
If the agency says "send attachment" as an attachment, then send an attachment. The number one rule, the only rule, whether you are querying for an article, a novel, a NF project, a short story, whatever, is to follow the guidelines. Period. End of story.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the agency says "send attachment" as an attachment, then send an attachment. The number one rule, the only rule, whether you are querying for an article, a novel, a NF project, a short story, whatever, is to follow the guidelines. Period. End of story.
Thanks, Lori. This was my first query ever, so I'm all angsty. Nobody's first query gets anything but rejected though, so I don't know what I'm worrying about.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. It does say attachment of no more than 50 pps. Deep breaths. Medicate yourself with the beverage of your choice and hit send.

Lyxdeslic

Laughing every time I choke.
Registered
Reaction score
Relax, Dev. Breathe, submit, move on.

You know I'm in the exact same place as you right now. I spent all day debating whether to put one line in the end of my query to state who my story appeals to, and I still haven't decided if I should do it. We're gonna act like first time mothers for a bit; it's inevitable I suppose. Just try to remember you have a brilliant story, a solid query and...hell, I don't know...great taste in music. Pearl Jam rocks. :D

You will get through this. We will get through this. We're traveling down a hundred-mile-road, on foot. May as well breathe the clean air and enjoy the scenery.

Oh and, everyone, mark my words--dated May 24th, 2008 at 10:35p.m. PST--this woman will be a published author.

Fact.

Lyx

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Devil I had the same problem with the same agency last week. I sent a second email with an attachment and apologies. ::shrug:: What can you do?

Nothing bounced back. Haven't heard a word either way.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Rules are made to be broken.
This statement is true in every aspect of our life.
In a world full of ‘copycat’ you must stand out in order to succeed.
Do what you believe it’s right for you.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
Thanks, Lori. This was my first query ever, so I'm all angsty. Nobody's first query gets anything but rejected though, so I don't know what I'm worrying about.

O ye of little faith! My first query, actually 2 out of my first 3, resulted in requests for a full.

Of course after that the rejections from subsequent queries started rolling in with such speed it was like I was giving away free gas or something. But still, those two fulls are still out there!

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody's first query gets anything but rejected though, so I don't know what I'm worrying about.

Not true. Not true at all. :) Not for me, not for Blondchen, not for many writers. So listen to Birol, don't be angsty and negative. And you CAN get a request right out of the gate. So be positive and good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.