Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Source: Associated Press

Feinstein backs Clinton-Obama ticket

By Erica Werner
ASSOCIATED PRESS
4:36 p.m. May 23, 2008
WASHINGTON – Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a staunch supporter of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, said Friday that if Sen. Barack Obama becomes the Democratic nominee he should pick Clinton as his running mate.

“I think as this race has emerged each one of them has garnered a different constituency and different states, and therefore when you put the two of them together it forms, I believe, the strongest ticket,” Feinstein, D-Calif., told The Associated Press in a phone interview.

“Women feel very strongly about Hillary and African-Americans feel very strongly about Barack, and the election results show that, and the young versus old, the higher educated versus the working person ... All these things are sort of separated out into one or the other so there is a logic in combining the two constituencies.”
Feinstein said she hasn't discussed the idea with Clinton and isn't pushing it with party leaders. The Obama and Clinton campaigns have dismissed reports that there were talks going on between the two campaigns about putting Clinton on the ticket.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20080523-1636-ca-feinstein-dreamticket.html

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder exactly how viable an Obama-Clinton ticket actually would be? I mean, each candidate has provideded rolls upon rolls of videobytes and sound bytes about how unqualified the other is.

Would the American people actually dismiss all of those and support the ticket? What would it take for the fanatic members of both camps to work together without rancor or subsequent loss of productivity Is it possible for the campaign to CONVINCE the American public that an Obama-Clinton (or vice-versa) ticket could set asides their differences and work together for the good of the country???

Hmmm....interesting. I hope it happens because I want to take notes. All of which, of course, I'll be more than happy to share with the rest of you.;)

Because if they manage to pull it off, if they manage to get elected as a ticket in November, it might require the greatest rhetorical coup in recent American history for success.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Dianne carries a lot of weight. It's going to come down to who Obama feels will help him get into the Oval Office. The logical choice to me, albeit a bit strange, is Hillary. Those who love Obama tend not to like Hill, and vice versa. If you want to get all Dems off the couch, it might be the ticket. Depending on who Obama chooses, there might have to be a big learning curve re: who the person is, which isn't the case with Hillary.
Interesting ticket, but I'm still not sure it is do-able.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i think you underestimate the odds of it happening.

the democratic establishment ignores the near 50/50 split in their party 6 months before the election at their peril.

Last edited:

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
I agree that after yesterday, it does seem like a remote idea. I did read that with Clinton gathering so much momentum, rather than an Obama/Clinton ticket, there might be an Obama/Clinton ally ticket.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
I just thought of how they could do it.

INT. Convention Hall.

The crowd cheers as Obama is announced as the Democratic nominee. He strides up to the poduim, red white and blue confettie falling from the sky.

He holds out his hand to quiet the crowd.

Obama
I humbly accept your nomination for the
office of President. And for as a running mate
the one person I can trust to help me bring
about the change you want in Washingtion...
The crowd leans forward, hungry for the name.

Obama gazes up to the sky boxes above the crowd and finds one pair of eyes. The crowd turns and strains to see at whom he points.

And like 1.21 gigawats, the realization runs through teh crowd. He's pointing at Hillary! The Dream is alive!

Obama
Senator Clinton. Hillary. I call upon you to
be my Vice President. Will you be my running
mate? Will you help me bring about the will
of the people?
There is a hushed moment, no one can breath as they wait for her response.

Hillary stares at Barrack. Then looks at her daughter, and then at her husband. Bill reaches out and touches her shoulder. He gives her the barest of nods. Chelsea takes her mothers hand, as if to say we support you no matter what.

Hillary looks down at the floor.

A whisper starts, will she turn it down? Will she say no?

And then she stands, and looks Obama right in the eyes, and with great humilty- greater than even Obama's- she nods. Yes.

The crowd goes wild. Feminist and racists explode.

Fade out:

and that kids is how they could pull it off.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
i posted the link to mario cuomo's endorsement of the ticket somewhere but i can't remember, so here it is again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUIId_Gvhds

i still prefer a clinton/obama ticket though. after 4 or 8 years as veep, no one would ever be able to argue that obama wasn't experienced enough to take over when clinton's term(s) is done. and i think it'll take 12 years to reverse what dubya has done to all the gains made by bill clinton.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think if (and it's a big if) a Obama-Clinton ticket does happen, it will help the Democrats tremendously both in healing among themselves and scoring a win in November. Unfortunately, I think the Dems are their own worst enemy -- it's not going to happen. Too much bad blood already and they don't seem to be able to pull themselves together and resolve their differences.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It may very well help the Dems internally, but it won't have any effect on the general election, imo. Why?

1) People don't vote for the VP candidate. They just don't. The idea that having Hillary in the VP slot will produce more votes--votes that would not have been garnered otherwise--is not realistic.
2) That small crowd of Hillary supporters that think she is getting treated incredibly unfairly--because of overt sexism--and that are truly prepared to vote against Obama will not be appeased by a VP slot. They'll see it (rightly) as a transparent attempt to pacify them.
3) Obama doesn't need some kind of ace in the hole--like Hillary--to win. He is fully capable of defeating McCain. And he may. Or he may not. This election will be decided by the debates and what transpires after the Conventions, imo.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
This election will be decided by the debates and what transpires after the Conventions, imo.

Correcto. Although the Clinton VP thing, and her supporters response to it, may depend on she, herself. Does she want it? If so, she's now made herself some extra work by yesterday's comment. I've been pretty skeptical about the likelihood of an Obama-Clinton ticket, but was just beginning to open a bit of a door to the possibility when, boom, she makes that blunder. All very strange, and the more I look at that quote, the stranger it gets.

caw

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
for Obama's sake I hope Hil doesn't become his VP.
Otherwise she'll be trying to tell him what to do,
as will Bill.
:e2Order: :e2Order:

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
i think you underestimate the odds of it happening.

the democratic establishment ignores the near 50/50 split in their party 6 months before the election at their peril.

You're right and they know it. I think a joint ticket is far more likely than people think.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I just thought of how they could do it.

INT. Convention Hall.

The crowd cheers as Obama is announced as the Democratic nominee. He strides up to the poduim, red white and blue confettie falling from the sky.

He holds out his hand to quiet the crowd.
Obama
I humbly accept your nomination for the
office of President. And for as a running mate
the one person I can trust to help me bring
about the change you want in Washingtion...
The crowd leans forward, hungry for the name.

Obama gazes up to the sky boxes above the crowd and finds one pair of eyes. The crowd turns and strains to see at whom he points.

And like 1.21 gigawats, the realization runs through teh crowd. He's pointing at Hillary! The Dream is alive!
Obama
Senator Clinton. Hillary. I call upon you to
be my Vice President. Will you be my running
mate? Will you help me bring about the will
of the people?
There is a hushed moment, no one can breath as they wait for her response.

Hillary stares at Barrack. Then looks at her daughter, and then at her husband. Bill reaches out and touches her shoulder. He gives her the barest of nods. Chelsea takes her mothers hand, as if to say we support you no matter what.

Hillary looks down at the floor.

A whisper starts, will she turn it down? Will she say no?

And then she stands, and looks Obama right in the eyes, and with great humilty- greater than even Obama's- she nods. Yes.

The crowd goes wild. Feminist and racists explode.

Fade out:

and that kids is how they could pull it off.

I forbid you from ever, ever working in politics.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
It may very well help the Dems internally, but it won't have any effect on the general election, imo. Why?

1) People don't vote for the VP candidate. They just don't. The idea that having Hillary in the VP slot will produce more votes--votes that would not have been garnered otherwise--is not realistic.
2) That small crowd of Hillary supporters that think she is getting treated incredibly unfairly--because of overt sexism--and that are truly prepared to vote against Obama will not be appeased by a VP slot. They'll see it (rightly) as a transparent attempt to pacify them.
3) Obama doesn't need some kind of ace in the hole--like Hillary--to win. He is fully capable of defeating McCain. And he may. Or he may not. This election will be decided by the debates and what transpires after the Conventions, imo.

I agree with No. 3, but not completely with the first two points. I think all this talk about the Democrats being irreversibly divided over the race is greatly exaggerated, and that most of the Clinton supporters will eventually support and vote for Obama over McCain. But Clinton on the ticket could speed up the process, and that could help Obama focus on winning independent voters.

On the other hand, I hope it doesn't happen. I think Clinton as VP would be awkward after the election. I'd much prefer to see Obama pick a Clinton loyalist (like Bayh) as a running mate.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
that most of the Clinton supporters will eventually support and vote for Obama over McCain.

I'm not sure about that. I've heard people saying they won't vote for Obama. And some say 20% of Clinton's supporters said they wouldn't vote for him. And what about the moderates and independents who really can swing either way. Is that exaggeration? I don't know. Or should the Democrats underestimate that?

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
that most of the Clinton supporters will eventually support and vote for Obama over McCain.
generally, this is true. but much of this depends on how this whole process pans out. that is why it is the utmost importance for obama to encourage her to stay in the race... so it doesn't look like she's being forced out by any means other than by her own choice. clinton will fight until the end but if she doesn't get the opportunity to use all her cards then her supporters may feel short changed.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
obama eroding, clinton gaining:

20080525DailyUpdateGraph1_dfgty.gif

clinton stronger against mccain:

20080525DailyUpdateGraph3_jsioei.gif

20080525DailyUpdateGraph2_juikf.gif

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure about that. I've heard people saying they won't vote for Obama. And some say 20% of Clinton's supporters said they wouldn't vote for him. And what about the moderates and independents who really can swing either way. Is that exaggeration? I don't know. Or should the Democrats underestimate that?

I would suspect that the majority of Clinton's supporters are - for lack of a better word - centrist. I'm sure they'll swing to McCain if Obama gets the nomination. Obama's simply too suspect policy-wise, and Clinton supporters are grounded with a firm right foot in a good old-fashioned America.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score

They say that now but things will change. At the end of the day, most of them are blue collar, and thus are going to have to choose, more Bush-style economic decisions, or something else. A lot of people will likely take a gamble on Obama instead of going for someone that is almost certain (in their eyes) to be Bush's third term. Even if McCain is different, the DNC will use the "Third Bush Term" bit as their mantra, you're already seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.