dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Working class. Could be encountered anywhere in the UK. May be smothered by stronger regional accent.

-Derek

CalGrave

Registered
Reaction score
southern, Ebonics, "country" actually not exclusive to that anyone without a normal "accent" could do it when talking casually. Southern is the easiest answer that you are looking for.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
The characteristics you ask about are fairly common in some areas of the US - dropping the G from ing and the D from and especially. The your to yer is more Appalachia on out to American Western. The oddball in your group is the you to yeh - not common. In the south it would be you-all (y'all), In the hill belt out to the west it would be youse (if possessive or plural). I think what you may be getting at is the "Can I come with ya." which is again, fairly common. Overall, I'd say your examples (with the ya on the last one) could be quite a few places - Midwest, Appalachia, Plains, far West. It would be considered regional dialect but would also be quite acceptable in historical dialogue set in those areas. Puma

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think non-working class (rich) people speak with more distinct enunciation than working class. English, like French has vowel transformations when words are surrounded by specific consonants, it is just not "written." I would simply call it "lazy."
Compare:
Whatcha doin? (What are you doing?"
Nutin. (Nothing.)
Jeet? (Did you eat?)
Na. (No)

Deleted member 42

There's not enough data there to identify dialect; you'd need to more data about phonology, and, perhaps most importantly, word choice. Vocabulary is really important in dialect identification.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
There's not enough data there to identify dialect; you'd need to more data about phonology, and, perhaps most importantly, word choice. Vocabulary is really important in dialect identification.

Absolutely. Because the examples given could be me ( south east) or my mate from the borough ( north east)

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
The characteristics you ask about are fairly common in some areas of the US - dropping the G from ing and the D from and especially. The your to yer is more Appalachia on out to American Western. The oddball in your group is the you to yeh - not common. In the south it would be you-all (y'all), In the hill belt out to the west it would be youse (if possessive or plural). I think what you may be getting at is the "Can I come with ya." which is again, fairly common. Overall, I'd say your examples (with the ya on the last one) could be quite a few places - Midwest, Appalachia, Plains, far West. It would be considered regional dialect but would also be quite acceptable in historical dialogue set in those areas. Puma

Just to clarify for those who don't know, the southern "y'all" is for plural-you only. Singular-you is still said "you."

And I agree with Puma about the you to yeh being unusual.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
American white southern accents developed out of the Scottish/Irish accents of the people who settled the South and particularly the mountains of the east and midwestern south. While I traveled there, I heard people refer to what sounded like a Far Tar. In Arkansas, that meant 'fire tower.' It took me a while to figure it out.

There's a central south (Arkansas, Missouri) accent, too. And then there's Texas, which isn't just another state, it's a whole other planet.

SupplyDragon

I am the Car'a'carn
Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify for those who don't know, the southern "y'all" is for plural-you only. Singular-you is still said "you."

And I agree with Puma about the you to yeh being unusual.

Let's not forget you-ins... Which is Y'all + 3. :D

Many thanks to Jeff Foxworthy for that one.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
With the exception of 'Yeh' you would fit in comfortably in western New York