PDA

View Full Version : How well does your meat loaf?

Silver King
05-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Mine stands up quite well. I was thinking about sharing a recipe here last night while my arms were wrist deep mixing the loaf. I've tried at least a dozen variations over the years, but this concoction has the distinction of winning over fans who claim they hate meat loaf until they've tried this version.

Prep time is about twenty minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine:

One pound ground beef or chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1/3 onion, minced
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 eight ounce can of tomato sauce

Mix the meat and all of the above ingredients and form into a loaf about four inches high. Place meat into a shallow baking pan.

In a smaller mixing bowl, combine:

1/2 cup of water
3 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp yellow mustard (the kind you put on hot dogs)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Whisk sauce and pour over meat loaf. Bake at 350 for ninety minutes. Baste the meat every twenty minutes or so. Then serve it to people who claim they hate meat loaf and you'll enjoy their positive responses. :)

alleycat
05-24-2008, 04:50 AM
I thought this was going to be that old high school joke.

I have another recipe for "Italian meatloaf" that is slightly different, Silver.

Silver King
05-24-2008, 04:52 AM
I thought this was going to be that old high school joke.
I was wondering if anyone would get that reference... ;)

Cranky
05-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Went right over my head, I'm afraid.

I'll have to write up my blue cheese and bacon meatloaf recipe for this thread. Yum.

Silver King
...I have another recipe for "Italian meatloaf" that is slightly different, Silver.
Great! Let's hear it. I'll try your version the next time. :)

robeiae
I thought this was gonna be a boxers/briefs poll...

alleycat
05-24-2008, 04:56 AM
I was wondering if anyone would get that reference... ;)
It means either we're old or we both went to the same junior high.

C.bronco
05-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Nice! My meatloaf rules too.

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. turkey
1 egg
1 can seasoned diced tomatoes (sp?)
Throw in seasoned bread crumbs ( I have no idea how much)
2 TB dried onions
splash of milk

mix, top with extra breadcrumbs, and bake until done. Serve with onion gravy and stuff.

I like meatloaf!

Siddow
05-24-2008, 05:01 AM
I like to shred veggies into my meatloaf. Carrots work well without making the meat too loose.

We all know how much trouble loose meat can be.

C.bronco
05-24-2008, 05:05 AM
So true, so true.

soleary
05-24-2008, 05:29 AM
My mom's meatloaf crunched. I never understood crunching meat. I can't handle meat loaf to this day.

As for the performer Meatloaf, I loved his work.

alleycat
05-24-2008, 05:35 AM
My mom's meatloaf crunched. I never understood crunching meat. I can't handle meat loaf to this day.

I can sort of understand. While my mother's meatloaf didn't crunch, she grew up in a time when people were advised to cook meat thoroughly. So she did. Try getting a medium rare burger out of my mom. I finally managed to convince her that well-well-done wasn't always needed.

Funny, I have some friends who are the same way and they're much younger. They will look at my burger or steak and go, "That thing is raw!" It's really not, just medium or medium rare.

Silver King
05-24-2008, 05:36 AM
...As for the performer Meatloaf, I loved his work.
Funny you should say that, as I call my recipe, Paradise by the Dashboard Light.

These days, however, we usually eat indoors. ;)

C.bronco
05-24-2008, 05:36 AM
The best part of meatloaf is a nice meatloaf sandwich the next day: meatloaf on rye with ketchup.
YAY!

soleary
05-24-2008, 05:37 AM
Silver and Alley, you can come have meatloaf at my house ANY TIME :)

alleycat
05-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Silver and Alley, you can come have meatloaf at my house ANY TIME :)
Be careful with the offers you make.

By the way, I'm the size of an NFL linebacker . . . and hungry.

;-)

soleary
05-24-2008, 05:42 AM
I fear no man! (I'm the youngest of six with five older brothers).

L M Ashton
05-24-2008, 05:58 AM
Um, I'm not sure I've ever had meatloaf. *shrugs*

kristie911
05-24-2008, 06:01 AM
I don't have a recipe because I just throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl and mix it up...but it's delicious every time. :)

Silver King
05-24-2008, 06:36 AM
Um, I'm not sure I've ever had meatloaf. *shrugs*
It's similar to creating a giant meatball, only you shape it into a loaf (like a bread loaf) prior to cooking. It sounds complicated at first, but the meal is very easy to prepare and cook. And has been mentioned here, you can add just about any ingredient you'd like to flavor the meat.

DWSTXS
05-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Went right over my head, I'm afraid.

I'll have to write up my blue cheese and bacon meatloaf recipe for this thread. Yum.

OMG. I need that so bad! MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DWSTXS
05-24-2008, 06:41 AM
I swear, the next time I get married.

The #3 question I ask her is, how good is your meat loaf?

Cranky
05-24-2008, 06:46 AM
:roll:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-26-2008, 03:42 PM
The best part of meatloaf is a nice meatloaf sandwich the next day: meatloaf on rye with ketchup.
YAY!

No, no! Nonono! Thinly sliced onion and mustard on rye.

But it's gotta be either Russian rye or Jewish rye.

tjwriter
05-26-2008, 05:17 PM
I'll have to go look up my recipe, but it's only a general guideline. I most often kind of wing it until it smells right. I know it involves a meatloaf and sausage seasoning blend that is next to impossible to find around here.

I love some meatloaf, but the husband doesn't care for it, so I only fix it once or twice a year.

CatSlave
05-26-2008, 09:15 PM
No, no! Nonono! Thinly sliced onion and mustard on rye.

But it's gotta be either Russian rye or Jewish rye.
I grew up with the White Trash version: on white bread with ketchup,
with a nice glass of cold milk.

DWSTXS
05-26-2008, 09:18 PM

I go for this, or any of the others. But, I'll skip the milk. Well, you can pour me a bachelors milk (beer)

Shadow_Ferret
05-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I love meatloaf. Forgot my recipe. I'll have to add it at home.

Why is that white trash?

Isn't that the way to eat it if you're making a sandwich?

C.bronco
05-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I extend my pinkie when I eat meatloaf on white with ketchup. That makes me a snooty elitist.

Non-sequitor, okay, so
Yesterday I was driving my boy home from a cookout. Before we left, he took a corn-on-the-cob for the road. We were almost home when he had eaten half of it and said, "Here Mommy, take this." He handed me the corn.

I had a few bites, and started thinking "Who does this? Who drives down the road while eating corn on the cob?" Better yet, who drives down the road in a SUV covered with Nascar stickers while eating corn on the cob?

cray
05-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Mine stands up quite well. I was thinking about sharing a recipe here last night while my arms were wrist deep mixing the loaf. I've tried at least a dozen variations over the years, but this concoction has the distinction of winning over fans who claim they hate meat loaf until they've tried this version.

Prep time is about twenty minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine:

One pound ground beef or chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
1/3 onion, minced
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mix the meat and all of the above ingredients and form into a loaf about four inches high. Place meat into a shallow baking pan.

In a smaller mixing bowl, combine:

1/2 cup of water
3 tbsp white vinegar
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp yellow mustard (the kind you put on hot dogs)
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Whisk sauce and pour over meat loaf. Bake at 350 for ninety minutes. Baste the meat every twenty minutes or so. Then serve it to people who claim they hate meat loaf and you'll enjoy their positive responses. :)

looks good on paper - i might have to try this one.
peace

Shadow_Ferret
05-27-2008, 07:47 PM
I had a few bites, and started thinking "Who does this? Who drives down the road while eating corn on the cob?" Better yet, who drives down the road in a SUV covered with Nascar stickers while eating corn on the cob?
Oh, wait, I see. That was a rhetorical question.

CatSlave
05-27-2008, 11:21 PM
I love meatloaf. Forgot my recipe. I'll have to add it at home.

Why is that white trash?
White Trash cooking is an art unto itself, using basic ingredients such as
ketchup, RC Cola, Crisco, Spam, canned fruit cocktail, Velveeta, oleo,
all varieties of Jello, and parts of a pig you don't want to think about.

In other words, making something tasty from the cheapest and poorest
ingredients available.

Excuse me while I go make a fried bologna sandwich. :)

DWSTXS
05-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Dr. Pepper baked Ham is white trash cooking, And VERY good!

CatSlave
05-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Dr. Pepper baked Ham is white trash cooking, And VERY good!
You got it.

L M Ashton
05-28-2008, 05:20 AM
Okay, I think I'm officially a snob. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to put sodas in with cooking meat. :crazy:

CatSlave
05-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Cooking a ham with cola provides a sweet and tangy balance for the saltiness of the ham.
Same principle as using a brown sugar/mustard glaze, see?
Not as crazy as it seems.

Cola, ketchup, mustard and vinegar makes a fine BBQ sauce when you don't have a bottle of the store brand handy.

L M Ashton
05-28-2008, 06:14 AM
Yeah, but, see, I cook from scratch, so I almost always have necessary ingredients on hand or know what to substitute for them. And store bought barbecue sauce? What about making your own? It's not that difficult...

And, yeah, I think I'm definitely a snob. I just can't imagine voluntarily putting something like coke on any food I'm going to cook. The chemicals... Ick! Sorry, it's just not for me.

CatSlave
05-28-2008, 06:18 AM
I agree; I'm a scratch cook myself.

But it's nice to know how to improvise with common ingredients when you're flat broke and hungry, or stuck in the woods on a camping trip with no store for miles. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-28-2008, 06:32 AM

Ooo, yeah, baby! With mustard. And a bowl of navy beans with bacon drippings and onion!

Okay, I think I'm officially a snob. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to put sodas in with cooking meat. :crazy:

It's really, really wonderful. Really. I promise. Whiskey mixed with the coke or dr pepper is even better, then baste. ;) Lip smackin' good!

L M Ashton
05-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Well, see, there are two problems with your theory. One, whisky and all other forms of alcohol are out. Completely. So is pork. Neither is Halal for the Muslim husband or the rest of his family, and alcohol is out for me since I'm LDS. Hah! So there! Foiled that evil plan!!!! :D

Shadow_Ferret
05-28-2008, 08:57 PM
White Trash cooking is an art unto itself, using basic ingredients such as
ketchup, RC Cola, Crisco, Spam, canned fruit cocktail, Velveeta, oleo,
all varieties of Jello, and parts of a pig you don't want to think about.

In other words, making something tasty from the cheapest and poorest
ingredients available.

My kids love grilled spam sandwiches and Velveeta is a cooking staple.

And I love simple foods or "comfort food" like meatloaf, mac and cheese. And if you gave me a choice between a steak and a burger, I'd choose the burger every time. And fried bologna is fantastic. Do you cut the meat from center to edge so it doesn't "bubble" up?

But I am not white trash and consider that to be an insult of the highest magnitude.

And my wife makes a diet coke cake to die for.

CatSlave
05-28-2008, 09:14 PM

And I love simple foods or "comfort food" like meatloaf, mac and cheese. And if you gave me a choice between a steak and a burger, I'd choose the burger every time. And fried bologna is fantastic. Do you cut the meat from center to edge so it doesn't "bubble" up?

But I am not white trash and consider that to be an insult of the highest magnitude.

Oh yeah, you KNOW how to cut the bologna right.
And you can make a delish Coke and cherry Jello fruit cocktail congealed salad when you get tired of cake.
Don't get your feathers ruffled - no one is calling you white trash personally.
'White Trash' is a culinary art form that transcends gender, race, nationality and cholesterol levels. :D

DWSTXS
05-28-2008, 09:40 PM

fried bologna, with mayo, and cheese. Yes, the cutting of the edge is paramount.

ALSO, another 'white trash' food, is the cheapo Swanson's (49cent) chicken or turkey pot pies! mmmmmm....I grew up on those things. They are much better than the high dollar Mrs Callenders

Shadow_Ferret
05-28-2008, 10:45 PM
ALSO, another 'white trash' food, is the cheapo Swanson's (49cent) chicken or turkey pot pies! mmmmmm....I grew up on those things.
Oh! Now you went and flung a craving on me!

*makes a note to stop at the store on the way home*

cray
05-31-2008, 12:23 AM
so i printed out silverking's recipe and left it laying around the house.
guess what?

it worked! last night i came home and my lovely bride had the meat loaf ready!

it was good. i'd put it in the top 5 meat loafs that i've ever had which is pretty good 'casue we never stick to one recipe. we're always trying new ones.

my only comment is that i thought it was a little too tomato flavored for me but indeed, it's a good recipe.

oh, and the little crays gobbled it up. i'm talking about more than one piece each.
that NEVER happens in my house -- so that's a huge compliment!

thanks, sk.

Southern_girl29
05-31-2008, 12:50 AM
Here's my meatloaf recipe. It's really, really good

1.5 pounds of ground beef or turkey
2 eggs
1 cup of oats oats (it doesn't matter whether its the old fashioned or the quick cook ones; you can also use breadcrumbs)
About half an onion, finely chopped
1 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce

Beat the eggs and pour them over the ground meat. Add the oats and onion. In a separate bowl, mix the barbecue sauce and the teriyaki sauce. Add about half to the meat mixture. Mix it up with your hands (a spoon doesn't seem to get it mixed as well). Form it into a loaf and put it in a lightly greased loaf pan. Add the rest of the barbecue sauce on top, along with some onion, if desired.

This is fantastic. It's probably the best meatloaf I have ever had and so easy too.

Silver King
05-31-2008, 01:10 AM
so i printed out silverking's recipe and left it laying around the house.
guess what?

it worked! last night i came home and my lovely bride had the meat loaf ready!

it was good. i'd put it in the top 5 meat loafs that i've ever had which is pretty good 'casue we never stick to one recipe. we're always trying new ones.

my only comment is that i thought it was a little too tomato flavored for me but indeed, it's a good recipe.

oh, and the little crays gobbled it up. i'm talking about more than one piece each.
that NEVER happens in my house -- so that's a huge compliment!

thanks, sk.
It's nice to hear the meal was enjoyed, especially by the little ones. Often, kids are the toughest customers to please. :)

You're right about the tomato flavor. If you ever decide to try the recipe again, you can cut back on the amount of sauce that's mixed with the meat, or nix it altogether and add another egg in its place.