• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Word Font for MS Submissions ?

Which Font is best to use with MS submissions?

• Times New Roman

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Courier New

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Other ?

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Poll: Word Font for MS Submissions ?

Okay, new question: Which font does each of you prefer / use for MS Submissions?

I've been using Times New Roman 12 point, but I've heard a lot of people talk about Courier New, and just wondered WHICH of these is better?

Any info / advice about this topic would be great.

:D

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a never-ending debate over fonts. If there's any guidelines at where you plan on submitting your manuscript, use those. If not, then generally either TNR or Courier is acceptable. If you really want to be safe, use Courier.

I've found that I like Courier Dark better than the other Courier fonts and use that (I believe I had to download it myself at some point).

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
They are equally good if the agent or publisher doesn't have a preference.

If the agent or publisher HAS a preference, follow it. Even if it means Wingdings, if that's what they like.

Otherwise, don't sweat about it. You won't violate any secret rule, because if the agent really really prefers one over the other, they'll say it.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I'm sure arial is okay too. A beloved snarky agent once said that if a submission was great, she didn't care what font it was in.

From my standpoint, easy to read with dark enough ink is probably the most important.

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
I find the whole battle kind of funny, because using TNR packs soooo many more words into an MS. Try it. Type a page in Courier and then switch it over.

I personally like TNR more, but because I hear that Courier is the "accepted beyond all doubt" font, I use that.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find the whole battle kind of funny . . .
Oh, yeah? Wait until you get into the middle of the one space or two spaces after a period debate.

(Please don't even think about asking whether to outline or not outline . . . there's usually a bloodbath after that one.)

;-)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I use whatever they specify, and if they don't, Bitstream Vera Serif. I use Dark Courier in preference to Courier New. I underline with Courier, and change that to italics for TNR or Bitstream.

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah? Wait until you get into the middle of the one space or two spaces after a period debate.

(Please don't even think about asking whether to outline or not outline . . . there's usually a bloodbath after that one.)

;-)

Two spaces after a period makes me vomit.

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
I actually like Courier. I think I'm in the minority on that. Most people who use it seem to do so under duress.

I admit I didn't like it when I first started using it. But it's grown on me.

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Courier is definitely growing on me too. It's just not as pretty as TNR. I do have a problem with using TNR and one inch margins, though. It's like 20 words a line. I mean, hot damn. My head is like a metronome.

So, for right now, it's Courier all the way. What can I say? Shall we eat hay?

SmartAsh

Registered
Reaction score
If a particular font isn't requested, I use TNR simply because it saves on paper.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I actually like Courier. I think I'm in the minority on that. Most people who use it seem to do so under duress.

I've grown pretty fond of it too. It's what I use for all my writing. (Which isn't much lately...)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I do almost everything in Courier, but Calibri had started to grow on me.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If I had $5 for every "what font?" thread I've ever read, I'd be typing this from my yacht in the Caribbean. Or paying someone to type it for me, more likely. Volunteers? :D

Courier has been the industry standard font since forever (pre-word processor typewriter era).

Nowadays, some publishers don't object to Times New Roman.

Find out first -- check the publisher's or agent's guidelines and if the font they prefer is different from yours, change it! This is as simple as Select All then picking an alternative font from the list.

Until you're ready to submit, you can use whatever font you find most pleasing to your eye.

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I had $5 for every "what font?" thread I've ever read, I'd be typing this from my yacht in the Caribbean. Or paying someone to type it for me, more likely.
I'll give you $5 for every "what font?" thread if you'll give me $5 for every "one space or two spaces" thread. Deal?

;-)

To the OP: We're just having some fun. It's okay that you asked. If you're new, then it's a reasonable question to ask; probably all of us had to ask it one way or another at one time.

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score

I like it, too. It's much easier to see typos in Courier when you are editing. But I'll submit in whatever the agent prefers.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I like Palintino Linotype best, but seeing as I have yet to come across MS requirements that specifically state that font I generally stick to Times New Roman or Courier. Out of those two I prefer Courier, just because it's a lot bigger, and therefore easier on the eyes. It also makes it easier for me to catch spelling mistakes and typos.

para

Registered
Reaction score
I use whichever the publisher specifies. If they don't I use whichever I'm writing in. I think I've started to like CN more than TNR.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
I like TNR a lot but it eats ink like crazy. CN, on the contrary, uses virtually no ink -- probably, ten times less, so whenever I need to print something out for myself, like a large chunk of research, I always change the text into CN first. If the submittee doesn't state otherwise, I always submit in Dark Courier... it just looks cool, really writerly :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer Times NR 12 to Courier 12 because TNR saves lots of paper and is darker. However, I always slavishly follow guidelines, even if it means an extra stamp. ;P

I read somewhere that of late Courier was considered standard for screenplays and TNR for other MSS. Anyone else been exposed to this bit of wisdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.