• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is this word commonly known?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
If I said "He opened the window and climbed down the lattice." Would you know what a lattice was?

I ask because a proof reader (nobody here) didn't know what it was, and it made me wonder if it's a weird word, even though it's correct. Or if the context it's used in would make it clear at least.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You mean a lattice trellis, like they have in romcom movies so the desperate guy can climb from the garden up to the girl's bedroom window to escape her father's Dobermans, then take a tumble into the swimming pool? :)

-Derek

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Trellis might be the better word, and a better climbing bet if it's made of metal and is securely bolted into the side of the building. For an extra touch of authenticity, have the trellis support wisteria, a notoriously heavy vine.

Lattice (or lattice work) is usually made of a light wood. Cheap lattice is stapled together. It would definitely not support a person safely. Metal lattice work could work, but I'd still say trellis, which describes any structure meant to support a climbing plant.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I would.

If you want to be clearer, you could make it something like "He opened the window and climbed down the wooden latticework that was covered in ivy." Well, something like that anyway.

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
I know lattice. It's quite common.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think Phaeal and alleycat are on to something--adding some more information, like "the lattice that supported the wisteria" or "the ivy-entwined lattice" or "the lattice that held up the rambling roses" would help people who didn't know the word figure out what it was from the context.

And you could add information that made the climb more exciting--"the rickety wooden lattice. It held up a rosebush that seemed to be mostly thorns."

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
That's how the oldest girl got into Maria's room after being caught in a rain storm when she was kissing the Nazi messenger boy. And Frederick could get all the way up it with a jar full of spiders in his hand!

(For those who think I've gone daft, I'm referring to the Sound of Music, of course.)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would have to guess that everybody everywhere who speaks English knows the word lattice. I'd be shocked if I was wrong...
Yeah, and I love it on a bacon and tomato sandwich.

(You knew someone was bound to do it eventually.)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's a pretty common word. The Empress's idea is a good one.

What did your proof reader think you meant?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I would have to guess that everybody everywhere who speaks English knows the word lattice. I'd be shocked if I was wrong...

Well, Barber's proofreader didn't know it. And there are places (in the US, at least) where people always say "trellis" for both free-standing plant-support structures and nailed-onto-the-wall plant-support structures.

And I bet there are lots of people (living in cities, for instance), who have never encountered lattices or trellises. Garden terminology isn't universally understood; I had a student once who was very confused by a passage about a "trowel" in...maybe Eudora Welty? It turned out he thought it was a typo for "towel" because he'd never seen or heard of a "trowel".

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I think people who don't know what a lattice is probably don't read many books.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
When I see "lattice" the first thing I think of is chicken and ham pie. With lattice pastry, you know? Just sayin'.

-Derek

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I've heard a lattice called a few different things, though. But given the context it's fairly obvious.

Also, I've seen words I didn't recognize in books, which is when I use deductive reasoning or a dictionary.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
It's an unusual, I think even a rare word where I live (southeast USA), and I suspect many of the less-well-read folks I've known couldn't tell you what a lattice is, but I knew it in the context of the sentence. From my involvement in electronics, I mainly know the word as a brand name, Lattice Semiconductor. I wouldn't have known what a trellis is, though.

If I were a beta reader and saw trellis or any other word I didn't recognize, I'd hit up m-w.com for my own edification, and not say anything unless the the usage was wrong, or the dictionary said the word was obsolete or archaic.

You shouldn't use LOTS of words your target reader wouldn't know (unless it's a vocabulary lesson), that' just being snooty, but I don't think a word should neccesarily be avoided just because a reader might not know it.

So use either one, lattice or trellis.

Rowdymama

Dogzilla
Registered
Reaction score
LOL Mr Sci Fi, I love your poem. I have the same degree, and it is very nearly useless, but many writing jobs demand a BA in English or Journalism, so it looks good on the resume. While getting it, I learned a lot about writing, also, as I went to a college that demanded good writing in all programs.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I've seen words I didn't recognize in books, which is when I use deductive reasoning or a dictionary.

Yes, there is that.

And sometimes I just skip over things! I love Patrick O'Brian, but I have no idea what a fo'c'sle is, and no intention of ever learning.

On the other hand, try reading a Sherlock Holmes story with a class of college first-years who hate looking things up. "When did the English fight the Jezails?" "Why does Sherlock Holmes have a gasoline engine and a spider in his study?"

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone :)

Since lattice can refer to many things, trellis actually works a lot better. I like 'ivy-entwined trellis'. I hope you don't mind if I use it. I pictured the ivy when I wrote, so that's perfect!

And dpaterso, that is EXACTLY the kind of lattice I was talking about, LOL. That's pretty much how I described it to the confused proof-reader (who grew up in a big city, no less).

You guys are awesome!!!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I can guess what you mean, but I've not heard lattice used to describe a trellis before. It does sound like there's a regional variation thing going on with the usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.