The Amityville Horror - remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe it but at the same time, I wouldn't spend the night alone in that house either! :D

Gehanna

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Do you believe? ...

Gehanna

Oooh! Frreeaky!

I never knew that this story was based off of real events (so they say). I'd seen the cheesy movies. But never knew that it was in fact a real house!

The other night, my son was watching TV and the commercial for the new released version of the movie that's in theatres now come on. He got all excited and said..."We gotta' go see that! Ya know it's a true story?" I told him it's just a remake of the older movie and that it's not a true story. I had no idea. Now, I guess we will have to go see it. I'm curious now. And I love a good ghost story!

Do I believe it? I don't know. I've heard of strange paranormal things happening. And I do believe in ghosts, demons,...

When I was 14, I belonged to a Baptist church youth group. The Deacon of the church led the youth group. One night, he played a tape for us that was recorded from a live religious radio broadcast show. The radio show was hosted by a minister who would counsel people who called into the show asking for help with problems, etc...On this tape he played for us was a conversation between the host of the show (the minister) and a very disturbed woman, who claimed she was possesed by demons. She was asking for help to rid the demons out of her. So, the minister began praying with her and reading out of the Bible. While he was doing this the woman's voice changed from a soft womanly voice to this evil sounding demonic voice. Think of the Exorcist. It was the craziest thing I'd ever listened to. To this day, I'm not sure I believe it. But then I think why would a minister and the leader of our youth group play it for us and tell us it was for real, if it weren't. I do know that it scared the sh** out of us, though. It was the freakiest thing to listen to. Still makes me wonder...

But, yes, I do believe. In the Amityville story? I'm not sure I'm convinced. But like I said, I do believe in ghosts and demons.

All the deaths that were mentioned about the people other than the family in the article you gave the link to is a bit strange, though. Could just be a coincidence, I guess. But have you heard about the stories of the deaths that occured during the making of The Exorcist?

celeste

Last edited:

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
I remember reading an expose on this, actually -- apparently, it's pretty obvious from the evidence that the family who claimed to be haunted faked the whole thing for financial reasons.

http://www.csicop.org/si/2003-01/amityville.html

Which isn't to say it won't be a scary movie, heck, I'm not going to go see it.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
In response to the post by Celeste.

During my years of experience working in the psychiatric field, I've been witness to some very bizarre things. I would like to be able to say, "I've seen and heard it all." ... Unfortunately, I have yet to discover a limit to evil's inventiveness.

Gehanna

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I did an entry about the Amityville Murders on my blog a few days ago. If you want some info on Butch DeFeo and The Lutz family as well as history about the house go to Ric Osuna's website.

www.amityvillemurders.com

He wrote a book called The Night the DeFeo's Died I don't believe any of its true about the house being haunted. I think it was all made up for money.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Saw The Exorcist: the Beginning (ETB) last week. I only hope the production of TAH was handled with greater care.

EtB was pretty bad.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Sthrn--you blog haunted houses, right? So what do you think the public's everlasting fascination with haunted places really boils down to?

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
LiamJackson said:
Saw The Exorcist: the Beginning (ETB) last week. I only hope the production of TAH was handled with greater care.

EtB was pretty bad.

I watched The Exorcist: the Beginning a few weeks ago. I was all excited to see it. But I was very disappointed with it too.

I do hope that this new version of Amityville is good.

celeste

Joe Calabrese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephcalabrese.com
I'm saw Exorcist too and I agree it was pretty bad, although it had a nice look at times. There is another version directed by Paul Shrader which is being released in theatres now on a limited release and soon on DVD. I'm curious to see how he did it-- first.

After they fired him (because he wouldn't do studio mandated changes) they practically re-filmed the entire movie with almost a whole new cast and director and script.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
MacAllister said:
Sthrn--you blog haunted houses, right? So what do you think the public's everlasting fascination with haunted places really boils down to?

My personal opinion is that it's the aspect of fear and the adrenaline rush you get from it. For example, the roller coaster. You are riding something that gets up to speeds of 50 to 60mph and your going around curves and up and down hills and loops and so on. But what makes you go back and ride it again is the adrenaline high you get from it, well for some people that is. Ghosts and haunted houses are practically the same thing. Not being able to explain why an object moved by itself and strange images in pictures and on videotape gets some people curious and others obsessed.

I'm one of the people that is just curious about haunted places. I"m more fascinated about the history of a place rather than trying to determine if a place is haunted or not. Plus, I don't really put all the focus on haunted places. I'm also interested in mythical creatures and urban legends and their possible origins.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
There is another version directed by Paul Shrader which is being released in theatres now on a limited release and soon on DVD. I'm curious to see how he did it-- first.

Hmmm...I'll have to check it out. The original Exorcist is my all time favorite. I tried for the first time to watch it when I was 12. I couldn't get through it, it scared the crap outta' me. Lol... It wasn't until I was 19 before I finally watched it all the way through. Now, it's my fav.

celeste

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
In response to the post by Celeste.

During my years of experience working in the psychiatric field, I've been witness to some very bizarre things....

Gehanna

Oooh! Do tell! I'd love to hear a story..or two. :)

celeste

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The orginal make of the Exorcist remains my all-time favorite. The style and cinematography were light years ahead of its peers. Saw it aT the drive-in on the first night of nation-wide release. You know, usually the drive-in served as mutlti-purpose tribal gathering place. That night, I don't think anyone went for popcorn, drinks, or condoms after the first 15 mins. Remarkable.

OTC- I just caught the Dre Barrymore/Jimmy Fallon "unscripted interview" for the their new movie. Fallon is either the "dumbest 20-something nice guy" since Keaneau Reeves, or he's the world's greast actor. He actually made Drew seem thoughtful and intelligent! Who knew??

Last edited:

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
The orginal make of the Exorcist remains my all-time favorite. The style and cinematography was light years ahead of its peers. Saw it aT the drive-in on the first night of nation-wide release. You know, usually the drive-in served as mutlti-purpose tribal gathering place. That night, I don't think anyone went for popcorn, drinks, or condoms after the first 15 mins. Remarkable.

Oooh! That woulda' been excellent seeing it at a drive in! I think the last time I remember seeing a movie at a drive-in I must've been 12. I miss those! I wish there were still drive-ins around! Why'd they have to ruin that???

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I have to see/review this on Monday night. As someone who scares very easily and has never written horror, I might not be the most reliable source regarding accuracy, adherence to conventions, etc. But I can tell you whether it's an engaging movie or not, whether it's well-acted, directed and all that stuff.

I remember hearing that it was all an urban legend.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Gehanna said:
I don't believe it but at the same time, I wouldn't spend the night alone in that house either! :D

Gehanna

I agree! I didn't know that it was all a hoax, well then again that still makes the killing part true! Wow! I read the entire story. Thanks for the link.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Session 9 was a trip. It was good, but could have been better. The acting was good at least and for that I am thankful. If the acting sucks then no matter how good the story is I won't be able to watch it.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone seen "Grudge"?

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Haven't seen Session 9. But I have seen Grudge. I liked it. I thought it was cool. I expected just a little more, but it was still good.

Have any of you seen Saw? Now that one was cool! When I rented that movie, I must've watched it ten times before returning it. Lol..

What'd you all think of it?

celeste

Last edited:

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Kevin Yarbrough said:
Session 9 was a trip. It was good, but could have been better. The acting was good at least and for that I am thankful. If the acting sucks then no matter how good the story is I won't be able to watch it.

The first time i"ve ever heard of it was a few days ago. I think it was ok. You know that they originally had an old homeless woman cast in the film that in the end killed Gordon after he killed everyone else but they cut her out of the movie. I don't know it may have been better with her in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.