Big new computer VIRUS

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Just received this and thought I'd share

(I sincerely hope that this will be OK with the Moderators)

Hi All, checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp

I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!
Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.
This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
This isn't new, but it is real. If you go to the snopes site and scroll down a bit you'll see more information about the email text you've copied here.

*NOTE:* Readers should take particular care not to confuse the real
postcard/greeting card virus with a number of virus-related hoaxes that
have been circulating for several years. A variety of messages forwarded
by well-intended people to warn others about the Postcard virus
contribute to this confusion by including within them links to our
article </computer/virus/virtualcard.asp> about the "Virtual Card for
You" hoax (or by mistakenly incorporating elements from that hoax into
their warnings). Other versions of the postcard virus warning
erroneously combine it with elements of the Invitation <invitation.asp>
virus hoax.

(snopes has a sample of two emails, one is identical to the one above)

Although the Postcard virus is real, it isn't a "BIG VIRUS COMING" (it's
already been around in multiple forms for a long time now), it will not
"burn the whole hard disc" of your computer, CNN didn't classify it as
the "worst virus" ever, and it doesn't arrive in messages bearing a
subject line of 'Invitation.'

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Oh, I'm so grateful to you, Dawno, for this information. Maybe I will be able to sleep an hour tonight after all...

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way - Windows users, don't forget to install patches. Just go to the Microsoft website. Get yourself a good virus check program, too. There are free versions that are good ones - my techie husband has installed AVG free version on my computer.

If you want to know more, search the Tech Help forum - the search "anti-virus" brings up three pages of threads, so there's lots of info there.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Oh, they are out there Shadow.

I think the first one hit the web about two years ago. "Leap" something.

Smug can be dangerous. Nature tends to not like smug. :)

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
This is bad. It's even worse than the HIPPI virus that was going around. (I got that one on my home and work computers. Nasty stuff. You HAVE to format, you can't even run a virus scan/remover.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
*decides not to click on the link in case its a horrible joke that downloads the very virus we're discussing*
Methinks everyone and their dog must be downloading AVG right now, my download (I wanted to upgrade to latest version) failed just near the end with server busy errors. :mad:

-Derek

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Do your worst, slimeball doody-face punks.

imac24.jpg

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty funny :D

In all seriousness - e-cards from trusted sources tell you who sent it and link you to a real website. "You have a card from a friend" emails should just be deleted. NEVER open an attachment on emails like that.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I get those dumb things all the time "A friend" has sent you and e-greeting. Delete. Uh,I've gotten real ones from Hallmark.com and such, and the senders name is ALWAYS in the subject line. "So and So" has sent you a greeting card or whatever.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Long lecture short, Don't EVER click on one of these things, even if you KNOW the sender. You DON'T know your friend's computer isn't running a virus that sends these emails to everyone in their address book.

Be paranoid online. Be VERY Paranoid. Maybe you'll miss a few "neat e-cards" and other online fun (even if it appears to do only what it says it does, it may stealthily install something that blows up months later), but it will save you lots of time and trouble trying to get back whatever you put on your computer.
Oh, they are out there Shadow.

I think the first one hit the web about two years ago. "Leap" something.

Smug can be dangerous. Nature tends to not like smug. :)
The first virus I heard of for the Mac was circa late 1980's, it was the first CD compilation of freeware and shareware programs for the Mac, including a virus scanner - one of the other programs had a virus in it that was detectable by the virus scanner! I recall it was a relatively harmless virus that would just copy itself into the directories of all writable disks on the system. Or maybe that was another Mac virus.

The Mac is only moderately more secure than Windows - there's still enough holes in almost all modern computer operating systems to give Swiss cheese a run for its money.

There's also the "social engineering" side these things, of getting someone to run a program when they don't know what it will do, thus my admonitions.

I get those dumb things all the time "A friend" has sent you and e-greeting. Delete. Uh,I've gotten real ones from Hallmark.com and such, and the senders name is ALWAYS in the subject line. "So and So" has sent you a greeting card or whatever.
A friend's computer could get a virus that pull the sender name as well as the email address out of the email program's info/configuration files, and send itself with the name in the subject. I regard all such "greetings" emails as spam, and don't click on them - at least not on any computer I own...

I do have an older computer running the latest Ubuntu Linux, I might go to such a link with that. I've only done a little surfing with it, and worst case I can always reformat the drive and reload the OS from CD.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Sheesh. Just don't fsck with cr@p from anonymous sources. And keep your bloddy antivirus updated and active. And don't leave your e-mail address posted openly all over the web.

And DON'T FORWARD SCARE MESSAGES.

Thank you . :)

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've got an anti-virus progam called NOD32. Seems to work just dandy on our computer *knocks on wood and looks over shoulder*

Virus warnings like these, still scares me. And therefore I will spend all day tomorrow to do some serious back-ups.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
And now, to prove I am not the regular evangelical Mac user -

The Mac is only moderately more secure than Windows - there's still enough holes in almost all modern computer operating systems to give Swiss cheese a run for its money.
I'm not sure the Mac is actually any more secure at all. The reason less viruses hit Mac is simply that fewer people own one, so the virus writers don't bother with them.
Also, I read not long ago that Microsoft actually responds quicker and better than Apple to patch security holes in its operating system.