PDA

View Full Version : Go the Socceroos - beat Ghana!

poetinahat
05-23-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm going to see Australia play Ghana in a friendly tonight. Harry Kewell is in for the match. Should be excellent!

I've got a ticket to see Australia-China next month. We're on the way to getting back to the World Cup!

And no, I don't know why:

1) Our team has a name as naff as "Socceroos"
2) The name still has "soccer" in it when the national governing board officially started calling their sport "football" two years ago.

Still. Go, you boys.

mscelina
05-23-2008, 08:49 AM
What in the heck kind of sport are you babbling about, Poet? Cricket? Tiddly winks?

I'm confused...

;)

JJ Cooper
05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Should be a great game tonight. Wonder how long Kewell will play for. I see they have opted to put some younger talent in there tonight too.

The governing body probably paid some HR consultant a lot of money to come up with 'Socceroos'. Probably dragged that contract out for months as well.

Go boys. I need some good news after that State of Origin game.

JJ

rugcat
05-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I saw the Man U /Chelsea Champions League final the other night. It came down to PKs, and John Terry had a chance to win it for the Blues, but there was a driving rainstorm and when he planted his foot he slipped and the shot went off the post. Man U won eventually when Van Der Saar saved a shot.

I realize all this means nothing to most Americans, but I played for years, college and club level and I love the game.

I hate Man U like people here hate the Yankees. I was crushed.

poetinahat
05-23-2008, 06:19 PM
And Chelsea are kind of the Red Sox, budget-wise (but not lore-wise). Go Swindon Town!

Australia 1, Ghana nil. Except for Schwarzer and Kewell, it looked like the under-23's out there - I'm sure half of them don't shave yet. But it's a good night out. The rugby league ladies behind me (probly Bulldogs fans, for you Aussies - that tells you something) yelled constantly. Talk about shrill: I felt like I was in the opening scene of Macbeth. Oi, what a noise.

But the meat pie was good. I'm happy to report that the crust was flaky, and the filling had actual chunks of meat in it. The chips needed salt. However, a friend turned up with some fresh-hot jam donuts. Washed it all down with a lemon squash. Stadium food was the winner on the night.

rugcat
05-23-2008, 07:39 PM
A great result.

Ghana has a strong team; their FIFA rank is #14, I believe. (Not that I take much stock in FIFA rankings, except maybe the top 5) But even if it was only a friendly it's still an encouraging result.