PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

Azure Skye
05-22-2008, 11:00 PM
I've never been suspended in my school years, only had detention once. Pretty boring, I know. My MC gets suspended for a week for fighting. For those of you who've been, I have a few questions.

Did you have homework or any assignments given to you? After you got back to school, did you have a lot of makeup homework? Were you given any extensions on assignments?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any other relevant information would be appreciated.

johnnysannie
05-22-2008, 11:02 PM
I've never been suspended in my school years, only had detention once. Pretty boring, I know. My MC gets suspended for a week for fighting. For those of you who've been, I have a few questions.

Did you have homework or any assignments given to you? After you got back to school, did you have a lot of makeup homework? Were you given any extensions on assignments?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Any other relevant information would be appreciated.

It's been a lot of years but what I recall from my high school years is that if you were suspended, you didn't get to do the work or make it up.

KTC
05-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Yes... whenever I was suspended, I was not able to do the work I missed. I was suspended a few times, so I will watch the thread in case you have more questions. (-;

Sometimes a student can be suspended from a certain class only... that happened to me. That suspension (for throwing a calculator at a teacher who threw a binder at me) was served in the vice principal's office. No make up... just read a book for that class for the rest of the year.

jclarkdawe
05-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Schools now a days have an interesting approach to this. Used to be the best way to get a week's vacation. Now they have this thing called "in-school suspension" where you get to sit around in a room all day doing your work.

If you have out-of-school suspension, it depends on the school district. Some schools will insist you do the work, others won't allow you to. It would be up to the individual teachers if they give you an extension. You can sort of go with what works for your story. If your story is based in a real town, you should talk to the school.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Mike Martyn
05-23-2008, 01:45 AM
When they were passing around a joint at the far end of the school yard, my 15 year old son was the one who was holding it as the vice principal happened by.

Result:

1. Determination by the school board as to whether he could come back or not ( they let him);

2. Two week suspension after a stern lecture from the principal and no chance to make up the work;

3. Four month grounding by parents!

When I was a kid, they didn't bother with suspensions, they just beat you with a stick.

"Martyn bend over and touch your toes." Whack, whack wack and a few more whacks as well.

Mr. Fix
05-23-2008, 01:53 AM
As a Soph I got suspended once at the end of a school year. I was denied access to any school functions (year-end school dance mainly, for those not going to the Prom, and I wasn't going anyway.) And then I was "assigned" to another school. So I got out of school a couple of weeks early and then started fresh at a new school. :snoopy: (I seem to be dancing alot today!)

Tsu Dho Nimh
05-23-2008, 03:29 AM
As one who suspended a few students ... it all depend on the school district. So inflict what you want on the kid - he deserves it.

One student, in in-school suspension for being unruly and sarcastic to another teacher, actually asked to come to Biology because he liked it. I enjoyed the sarcasm, he was never unruly, so for the week of his suspension he came to Bio and went right back after the hour was over.

Azure Skye
05-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Thanks, everyone. This has helped me a lot which means I have a few things to change.