• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is It Too Quick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I'm slightly worried I might have introduced something to quick. The MC in my story has to get sick so in the next book she can go mad. (I'm just so kind to my characters, I know) These are the chapters in order of when I first introduce she has a fever -- which she's unaware of, but she is an alien so . . . ah too indepth to get into right now. Anyway,

Chapter 44 - The Doctor Visit.

Regular check up and when she gets her temperature taken it's 103.4. She's also prescribed anti-depressants in this chapter

Chapter 45 - At Hikaru's house

A month after the doctors visit. Comic relief chapter. Info about the Harvest Festival. No ill feelings from the MC.

Chapter 46 & 47 The Destruction of Prefect Parts 12 & 13.

Unrelated to the MC completely. She doesn't even appear in these chapters.

Chapter 48 Impatiently Waiting

A Chapter featuring the bad guy and his plans for the MC

Chapter 49 A Change in Plans

A chapter featuring the second evil villain who joins forced with the main evil villain against the MC.

Chapter 50 The Spirit World Problems Part 1

No MC in this chapter.

Chapter 51 [In Progress/Untitled]

MC asking father to go to the Harvest Festival then her temperature is taken again and reads 102.6.

Chapter 52 [Not Written]

Will most likely be the Harvest Festival. People arrive in costumes [Hello, Molly ;)] Comic Relief Chapter. Near the end the MC feels a bit sick and they go home.

Um, a kidnapping takes place somewhere in there o_O I have everything planned out in my head rather than on paper. I kind of wing it. Then Spirit world Problems Part 2 has to fit into there somewhere. Then the MC nearly passes out at her friends house (unless I decide to change her location) and being worried they take her to the hospital just to make sure she's alright.

Do I make her get sick too quickly. Should I put a little more into some of the chapters like she has a headache or no appetite or something? Rather than she just has a slight fever but feels practically fine (but again with the alien-ness of her. It's a disease D=!!!!)

While I'm at it I'll ask another question. Is the Harvest Festival introduced to quickly? A month passed by so I didn't know how to introduce it any other way except with on of the characters coming in with her costume and saying how she's excited about it. Also the HF is the very next day :p Any suggestions on how to introduce it sooner?

Should I make the HF in another week? Alter the time line a bit? I'm home schooled so I don't know if schools put pumpkins and such out; decorate, yeah that's the word xD Besides I don't know how I'd put another school day in there. The one character goes shopping so she'd have to come home, not go to school with her bag of goodies >.<

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
Well you have 50 chapters which seems to me to be overly long anyway unless they are rather short.

You have your MC absent in two consecutive chapters and in between introduce other 'MC characters' and events thus diverting the attention away from the MC you wish to focus upon. In fact you have a whole section when she is either absent or the sickness is seldom mentioned so why should we care about her illness when there are so many interesting things going on? And why do you hype up the illness to such an extent when all she does is 'collapse'?

It is hard to tell because there is a lot going in between the chapters and I'm afraid that you might lose the interest of the reader.

I hope other may be able to provide better advice.

(btw did anyone else think this thread was about x losing their virginity?)

Last edited:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I just want to introduce her illness so you have an idea that she is sick. Basically so that when she does collapse/pass out you aren't like "WHAT??" but you've had a bit of info blurted out in a few chapters.

I know 50 chapters is long but I'm not sure how to make it shorter. Everything is important o_O I know for sure that there are 15 chapters between one and two computer pages long. The average is about 5 computer pages long.

And why do you hype up the illness to such an extent when all she does is 'collapse'?

I'm not sure what you mean here.

It is hard to tell because there is a lot going in between the chapters and I'm afraid that you might lose the interest of the reader.

I hope not!! I'm trying to have it as interesting as possible. There is the MC and her life the villain and his plans for her, then a back story to how they are tied together. Then maybe a few miscellaneous chapters.

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
What I mean is 'how important is the illness to the story and character development/plot?'

Every author tries to retain the interest of their readership - it seems as though that you have a lot going on. My worry is that if you mention that your MC has a cold and then say nothing about it for a couple of chapters then the reader may be thrown back by it. However there is the ocassional 'oh I forgot that happened' which can be fun.

Try to put you chapter in sequential order and in a pattern like:

45. MC
46. Villain
47. Adventure
48. MC
49. Villain
50. Adventure

Your readers will be able to follow the story. However if your intention is to make it wild and unpredictable than go for it. Just know all the options at your disposal.

All the best

Staroffurby

i'm impossible to describe
Registered
Reaction score
The cheeky seaside postcard city of Brighton, in t
Website
www.smeggys.co.uk
The amount of chapters does seem excessive. The other thing i see here is some illness's do not show any signs until you collapse. Some people do not know they have a tumour until a scan after collapsing gives this away. I understand your character is an alien but could this sudden impact add to the story, or would weaving subtle clues be better?

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
Well the illness is something she had as a child and thought she was cured from. By time the second book comes she's so delirious that she's practically gone mad. And her going mad (as of right now unless I somehow come up with a better idea) is essential the the second book as well as the third.

I was aiming for a little more of the unpredictable scale so that there isn't a solemn pattern. and the readers can be oh, cool we see Menchikov again or cool Zar. (At least that's what I hope they would think)

Should I add a little more like she has a headache, no appetite? As of right now her high temperature is just mentioned. It may be 'who cares' but when she collapses the readers would/could be like 'oh yeah, she had a fever didn't she?' Or is that not a good approach?

Status
Not open for further replies.