PDA

View Full Version : Help! I can't choose! *brain explodes*

Thump
05-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Okay, two universities in the UK have sent me offers for the M.A. in Publishing: Oxford Brookes and City University London. They're both only a few places removed from each other in the Times' rankings. City is ranked higher with a high employability score, Brookes seems to have better overall student life and facilities. From what I read anyway. Both program directors were very nice and helpful, with the City one a tad better.

I can't find any info on which is officially the better one in Publishing! It's driving me crazy! I kinda feel like I want to go to Brookes just a little more but above all else, I want to be in the best position I can to get a job as soon as possible. Gah!

Phew, needed to let some pressure out. I feel like my head is stuffed with cotton and I'm this close to a panic attack!

JimmyB27
05-22-2008, 07:29 PM
With Oxford Brookes, you get the added bonus of saying you went to university in Oxford - you just don't say which one. ;)

FWIW, I know someone who went to Oxford Brookes - not studying publishing, but I think she enjoyed her time there.

James81
05-22-2008, 08:11 PM
For what it's worth, as an outside observer and based on your post alone, it sounds like you are leaning towards City.

Ken
05-22-2008, 08:44 PM
unable to offer advise.
Just wanted to congratulate you on the offers :-)

NeuroFizz
05-22-2008, 09:15 PM
Hearty congrats on the offers. If you are close, talk with some students to get first-hand impressions. Also, meet with some of the faculty--see how approachable they are. You have two choices, a right one and a right one, it seems. Trying to find THE right one from these two choices is hardly a reason to have your brain explode. One the contrary, it should be swimming in a sea of serotonin...

Old Hack
05-22-2008, 09:51 PM
When I took my MA in writing, I found out who taught on the course, and read their work to help me work out which units of the course most interested me.

I don't know if the courses you're interested in have a writing element, but if they do, perhaps you could do the same.

Congratulations on the two offers, though. That's very well done!

waylander
05-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Ultimately you want the one that is going to equip you best for where you want to go. If you want to work in publishing then it sounds like City has the edge. As for Oxford Brookes having the better student life, with City you have the whole of London and all the facilities at the other London University sites.

Old Hack
05-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Thump, it has just ocurred to me that I've got a rather useful book called "Book Commissioning and Acquisition", written by Gill Davies who, according to the blurb, teaches at City University. It really is informative and considered, and gives a great insight into the role of a commissioning editor (I know, I used to be one). If she still teaches there, and you could get onto her part of the course, I suspect you'd find it very helpful indeed.

This book is on a par with Carole Blake's excellent "From Pitch to Publication", which explains how agents work, and which I recommend to everyone I know who is interested in a writing career.