Thinking About Writing Very Often

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
How many of you think about your own writing even while you're at work, during your lunch hour, riding the train, etc.? Lately, I've been doing it a lot. Is this a good or bad thing? :)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Only if you work with power tools, like I do. Otherwise it's fine. Don't drive through red lights (yes, yes I have) don't get off at the wrong stop on the train (again, yes) and especially don't zone out when you're talking on the phone with your mother (more often than I admit). Other than that, think about your writing all the time. It helps you become a better writer. :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like I think about it too much. As in, too much thinking, not enough doing.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
There were days when I found my mind wandering. A walk outside for fresh air worked to a limited extent, same with a cup of tea. I told myself I should have been stronger but I failed desperately. I gave up smoking thirty years ago, with little effort. I also had a fairly enthusiastic brush with alcohol for over fifty years but I beat that years ago as well. But this! How could I get hooked on another adiction? I tried taking my laptop to work, to sink into thirty minutes of writing in my lunch time but that was never enough. The last straw was when I started making some feeble excuse and taking a sickie for the day, just to stay home and write.

The solution? I'm now retired. I was given a 'package' - paid out for the eighteen months I now won't be working until I reach pension age. I wasn't wanted (tears). They thought they could get rid of me by offering me money - well, they succeeded. Now I'm a full-time domestic servant but even that gives me more time to write. The addiction has won - thank goodness.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I think about my writing almost all the time, though I have no job or relationships or anything, so maybe that gives me extra time in which to think about my writing. I don't mind this except for the fact that nobody around me thinks about my writing, and it's kind of hard to be interested in what other people are doing if it has nothing to do with my writing!

Seriously though, I do sometimes wish I were capable of conversing with people about things that aren't about my writing or aren't related to it in some way (mythology, dreams, etc.), because I feel I must be a horrible bore to everyone...(un?)fortunately I'm too shy to talk to people anyway, but even online, it rather drives people off. People do not want to hear about your writing-your writing-your writing.

It's a good thing if you're actually doing the writing to go along with it (which I'm fortunately doing), and if it doesn't significantly interfere with your relations with others (as mine unfortunately does).

BigRed

Write to live; live to write!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesjthompson.wordpress.com
I'm always thinking about it, if only subliminally. My problem is that I see situations constantly that give me ideas for new stories. And that can sometimes crowd out my thoughts on my current WIP, which is not necessarily a good thing. Ah, a writer's mind...a dumping ground of ideas!

dovebunnie

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I've missed my exit on the highway more than once zoning out. And nearly ran through a red light (I screeched to a halt in the middle of the intersection).

It ought to be okay, s'long as you don't imperil yourself or others, right?

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I'm always thinking about it, if only subliminally. My problem is that I see situations constantly that give me ideas for new stories. And that can sometimes crowd out my thoughts on my current WIP, which is not necessarily a good thing. Ah, a writer's mind...a dumping ground of ideas!

This pretty much sums it up for me too.

I've gotten to the point lately that I think about writing SO much that when I actually sit down to write, I'm already writer-fatigued and I just sit there.

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
Always thinking about it in one way or another. Not really a huge problem although I sometimes wonder if I miss fun 'life' things because of it.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I think about my writing and painting all the time. Like the background noise of life, it's always there, waiting to grab inspiration or ideas from the life going on all around me. I'm sure this is a good thing.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I like to take long drives and really think about my book. And sometimes I talk to my characters while I walk or go places -- people think I'm a nutjob. Yeah, I do think a lot. But I try to focus on the things I do -- like being with friends or family, doing my taxes, sports. I don't just go off into a distance...

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I like to take long drives and really think about my book. And sometimes I talk to my characters while I walk or go places -- people think I'm a nutjob. Yeah, I do think a lot. But I try to focus on the things I do -- like being with friends or family, doing my taxes, sports. I don't just go off into a distance...

writing. sports. Okay,...uhm, now what were you saying?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I have my characters clamoring to do something if I'm not writing it down, I'm thinking about it. It's a cross between a parasite colony and multiple personality :}

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish I could stop, but I can't. Always thinking about the work at hand as well as other ideas for books. When you add research, blogging, re-writes, posting on sites like this, reading, preparation of submittal packages, doing promotion for published works, etc., I often wonder how any of us can do more than think about our writing and related matters. I try and do find time for all sorts of other mind distracting things, the best of which I have found to be a great vacation far away from home.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably TMI, but I used to spend extended amounts of time in the bathroom at work (just sitting!) so I could work out plot issues in peace. Hey, you know what they say--when inspiration strikes...

Anyway, I stopped doing this when I heard a concerned lady's voice from outside the stall asking me "Is everything all right in there?"

:gone:

Last edited:

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
I thought every writer thought about his or her writing all the time. Long walks, sessions on the rowing machine, showers, listening to music--all these can be fruitful moments.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I find the very best time is when I'm almost asleep - in bed that is, not when I nod off in the car whilst driving. I can conjur up the scene I'm worried about or have just started writing and let my imagination carry on from there.

Talkatoast

Registered
Reaction score
I think about writing all the time...Too much in fact. Writing is more of a mental disorder than anything else.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I think about writing all the time, every second of every day. If it's not in the front of my mind, it's in the back of my mind.

I think it's a good thing, but if you want a professional opinion, there are books on the matter that say thinking of your plot/characters while doing simple tasks (driving, dusting, vacuuming, typing up report data, whatever) is a good exercise to help you better know your characters and story. After all, if you want to get to know a person, you spend time with them, right? So why should getting to know your story and characters be any different?

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to riding the train everyday to work and back, I got plenty of brainstorming for my book in progress. I used the time to tidy up some loose ends in my plot. :D

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I think about my characters, my plot, or ideas for a new book all the time.
Once a saw a car that was exactly the same as my characters and thought "Hey, that's Montana's Jeep!"

Status
Not open for further replies.