PDA

View Full Version : What would you do??

Joycecwilliams
05-22-2008, 05:43 AM
What would you do if an LEA decided your child needed an IEP or an IFSP? Would you allow a SAIF to examine them? Or would you take the FAPE and allow your child to become part of all the other members in SPEDIS?

The above are acronymns used by my local school system. I have above average intelligence, but whenever you go to a school meeting they throw all these acronymns around... at times I think it is to intimidate the public.

Any thoughts?

C.bronco
05-22-2008, 05:52 AM
An IEP isn't a bad thing. Your child might be eligible for extra help or extended time on tests.

Don't worry aboudit. Kids with IEP's, I have found, go on to good colleges and have successful careers.

Many colleges have extra resources available for kids who are "classified." Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY has a great program. Most other schools are getting on the bandwagon too.

Counselors throw these acronyms around because they have to say them often and it saves their vocal chords.

It can't hurt to take a test. Even the kids who don't qualify, I have found 100% of the time, come away with a better knowledge of their learning styles. It's actually a confidence boost for most to discover where their strengths are.

Go the free route and have the school system evaluate your child. You and your child are the ones who have the choice to accept the extra help, or go on without it. It isn't a binding contract.

Haggis
05-22-2008, 06:01 AM
What would you do if an LEA decided your child needed an IEP or an IFSP? Would you allow a SAIF to examine them? Or would you take the FAPE and allow your child to become part of all the other members in SPEDIS?

The above are acronymns used by my local school system. I have above average intelligence, but whenever you go to a school meeting they throw all these acronymns around... at times I think it is to intimidate the public.

Any thoughts?

Yeah. I'd demand they stop talking in acronyms. And make them explain exactly what they're talking about until you're really clear on what they mean. And while it might not always be the case, yeah, I think they sometimes do things like that on purpose--not just to intimidate the public, but to get their way.

It's your child. Demand answers you can understand.

Cthulhu
05-22-2008, 06:02 AM
I would elaborate on all of those god-forsaken acronyms.

Soccer Mom
05-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Actually, they get so used to the acronyms, they forget others aren't as familiar. Just calmly ask them WTF they are talking about and they will be happy to explain.

I'm gonna go BIC on my WIP. I think I can get in 1K tonight. YMMV.

KTHXBAI.

C.bronco
05-22-2008, 06:05 AM
I don't know what IEP stands for, but it is the official document which states what your child is entitled to in regard to extra help, or "accomodations," i.e. extra time for tests, tape recorded notes, a laptop in the classroom etc.

Joycecwilliams
05-22-2008, 06:05 AM
An IEP isn't a bad thing. Your child might be eligible for extra help or extended time on tests.

Don't worry aboudit. Kids with IEP's, I have found, go on to good colleges and have successful careers.

Many colleges have extra resources available for kids who are "classified." Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY has a great program. Most other schools are getting on the bandwagon too.

Counselors throw these acronyms around because they have to say them often and it saves their vocal chords.

It can't hurt to take a test. Even the kids who don't qualify, I have found 100% of the time, come away with a better knowledge of their learning styles. It's actually a confidence boost for most to discover where their strengths are.

Go the free route and have the school system evaluate your child. You and your child are the ones who have the choice to accept the extra help, or go on without it. It isn't a binding contract.

I know an IEP isn't bad.... My kids don't need it... I was just using that as an example.... of the last school board meeting I went too..

I guess as a writer, accurate words and communication is important. I feel like they throw these around to as Haggis said get their own way... :)

C.bronco
05-22-2008, 06:06 AM
Also, these accomodations extend to nationally standardized testing, such as te SAT and AP exams.

Jersey Chick
05-22-2008, 06:06 AM
Holy goodnight - what the hell did you ask?

C.bronco
05-22-2008, 06:09 AM
They really don't. They are just very accustomed to conversing about them. Counselors actually do want to see students succeed and work with parents to ensure happiness.

Most counselors I know see kids under a lot of pressure, and have genuine concern for each kid.

I know that if a parent calls me for clarification of anything, I will blab for a very long time. The others I know in my field, like me, really do want to answer your questions. But we're busy, and speak in acronyms.

Matera the Mad
05-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Yeah, I think they need a good WTF, and sometimes a NOYB.

C.bronco
05-22-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm here to translate when needed. I give free college advice too.
:)

Cthulhu
05-22-2008, 06:25 AM
I'm here to translate when needed. I give free college advice too.
:)
Oh, really? My own counselor doesn't seem to be around whenever I need to talk about college anymore now that I've supposedly finished the process and am going to UConn...

How comfortable are you with helping somebody cheat the In-State system, first off? ;)

Siddow
05-22-2008, 06:33 AM

Any thoughts?

Tell them to FOAD.

Williebee
05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Every industry, vocation and social organization has their own collection of acronyms.

And some folks do use them to hide behind or to try to create an impression of authority.

It's fun to force them to slow it down and make them spell things out.

As for IEP's (Individualized Education Programs), there are some interesting things happening there. For example: Some school systems have figured out that they are a way to get additional educational equipment, technology, and occasionally funding, for their schools.

For example: Child "A" needs additional educational tools to learn how to read/type/do math. There is software out there that has been proven to help. The school gets the software and puts it in their lab. The kid gets the individualized attention, and other kids get to use the software as well.

Related bit of history trivia? -- That's the same way your neighborhood or downtown area got those ramped areas on the street corners. They were a mandated feature to assist people in wheelchairs. And now they are a benefit to Moms with strollers and kids on skateboards.

(I'm sorry. My head is just so full of useless trivia. It's nice to get some of it out to make room for the rocks.)

Joycecwilliams
05-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Every industry, vocation and social organization has their own collection of acronyms.

And some folks do use them to hide behind or to try to create an impression of authority.

It's fun to force them to slow it down and make them spell things out.

As for IEP's (Individualized Education Programs), there are some interesting things happening there. For example: Some school systems have figured out that they are a way to get additional educational equipment, technology, and occasionally funding, for their schools.

For example: Child "A" needs additional educational tools to learn how to read/type/do math. There is software out there that has been proven to help. The school gets the software and puts it in their lab. The kid gets the individualized attention, and other kids get to use the software as well.

Related bit of history trivia? -- That's the same way your neighborhood or downtown area got those ramped areas on the street corners. They were a mandated feature to assist people in wheelchairs. And now they are a benefit to Moms with strollers and kids on skateboards.

(I'm sorry. My head is just so full of useless trivia. It's nice to get some of it out to make room for the rocks.)

Thanks for the trivia... :) I collect it also...

Joycecwilliams
05-22-2008, 08:00 AM
They really don't. They are just very accustomed to conversing about them. Counselors actually do want to see students succeed and work with parents to ensure happiness.

Most counselors I know see kids under a lot of pressure, and have genuine concern for each kid.

I know that if a parent calls me for clarification of anything, I will blab for a very long time. The others I know in my field, like me, really do want to answer your questions. But we're busy, and speak in acronyms.

I have no problems with the counselors. They speak just dandy. My problem is with the Administration. Whenever I ask a question... I get nothing but acronymns for answers... My friend is an RN and even she was baffled by what the Superindent of Schools was saying...

I believe he is just trying to confuse me... :(

Yeshanu
05-23-2008, 11:00 PM

Any thoughts?

Joyce, if they're doing it at school meetings, simply raise your hand and tell them all this "in-speak" makes your head hurt, and ask them to print on the blackboard each acronym and what it means. Then they can continue using the acronyms (which may be an attempt to intimidate, or may simply be habit) and you'll know a bit about what they're talking about.

In a meeting situation, do exercise your right to ask for further clarification if you don't know what the heck the speaker is saying! You can't make good decisions otherwise.

Ruth, who knows that "IEP" means "Individual Education Plan," and can be a good thing if your child needs it.

Seaclusion
05-23-2008, 11:09 PM
My sister is a school counsler. She uses bizarre acronyms all the the time in just general conversation. They get so used to talking only to each other they forget that the rest of us don't use school-speak.

Richard

Gravity
05-23-2008, 11:22 PM
I would elaborate on all of those god-forsaken acronyms.

LS/MFT Anybody over fifty will know that one. :D

Gravity
05-23-2008, 11:24 PM
And another one, this time from from Hair: "LBJ took the IRT down to Fourth Street USA; when he got there, what did he see? The youth of America on LSD..." :D

Seaclusion
05-23-2008, 11:26 PM
And it's one, two, three, four what're we fighting for...

Richard

KTC
05-23-2008, 11:27 PM
I'd say, "Don't assume I'm into your gibberish. You're teachers, for the love of God. Speak in words. This is a very serious issue."

Gravity
05-23-2008, 11:30 PM
And it's one, two, three, four what're we fighting for...

Richard

"Don't ask me, I don't give a damn. Next stop? Vietnam. And it's five, six, seven, open up those pearly gates. There's no time to wonder why. Whoopie, we're all gonna die."

Thank you, Richard, for allowing me this small trip back to my misspent yoot. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress...

samgail
05-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Actually, they get so used to the acronyms, they forget others aren't as familiar. Just calmly ask them WTF they are talking about and they will be happy to explain.

I'm gonna go BIC on my WIP. I think I can get in 1K tonight. YMMV.

KTHXBAI.

WTF are you talking about?;)

CaroGirl
05-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Personally, I'd get educated as quickly as possible. I hate not knowing what people are talking about. If I could find the confidence, though, at the time, I'd speak up and say I didn't know the acronyms.

Individual Education Plans are often a good way to ensure a struggling child doesn't fall too far behind his peers or fail a grade.

stormie
05-23-2008, 11:42 PM
As Seaclusion said, they forget the general public has not a clue what the acronyms stand for. Ever speak to someone associated with the federal government? I have to ask them to please stop using the acronyms. And when they speak fast....

Or they could be just trying to show that they're "in the know." :rolleyes:

choppersmom
05-24-2008, 03:00 AM
Maybe someday I'll get a Ph.D, but for now, all I want to get is a B-U-D.

KTC
05-24-2008, 03:01 AM
Maybe someday I'll get a Ph.D, but for now, all I want to get is a B-U-D.

Oh! I like the one where he plays basketball. That dog can shoot hoops!

choppersmom
05-24-2008, 04:01 AM
Oh! I like the one where he plays basketball. That dog can shoot hoops!

*snerk!*

Yeshanu
05-26-2008, 01:29 AM
And once again, we have proven that AWers can turn even the most serious of threads into a circus, if only we try... :D

choppersmom
05-26-2008, 03:57 AM
And once again, we have proven that AWers can turn even the most serious of threads into a circus, if only we try... :D

We're BRILLIANT at that!! Gives us purpose.

K1P1
05-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Just as a note, my school system also uses IEPs for gifted students in elementary and middle school --they define what the teacher will do to accommodate that special need as well. Unfortunately, the IEPs we signed off on for this purpose are so general and common sense that they're meaningless, in my opinion. They just say what any decent teacher should do to keep any child interested and engaged.