And while you're at it...

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin started a very interesting thread about seat belt use. I want to tack on an addendum to the positive safety-mindedness being expressed there.

HANG UP AND DRIVE!!

Too many people are yakking on cell phones while they're driving. There's nothing that other person is telling you that's more important than your job at the moment - operating your vehicle. Whatever they need from you, whatever you need from them, IT CAN %$#@%$& WAIT until you're not going to kill someone with your #%$#%^&$ car. And don't tell me you do it all the time and you know what you're doing. No you don't, and it's just a matter of time before you do kill someone. Studies have shown that cell-phone driving is as bad as, or worse than, drunk driving. (I'll look for a link and post whatever I can find.) I personally feel that if you cause an accident while talking on a cell phone, your ass should be dragged off to prison, just like for drunk driving. So everyone, please, we've established that this community as a whole is intelligent enough to wear and insist that others wear seat belts, so let's take it one step further and agree to hang up and drive.

OK?

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Couldn't agree more. I've stopped using my cell in the car completely, except for the occasional long trip where I've got to pick up and say "Yeah I'll be there at 8 PM. See ya!"

The girl who rear-ended me in accident #1, totaling my car, was still talking on her phone when I staggered out of my car to make sure SHE wasn't hurt. (This is after, in spite of wearing a seatbelt, I smacked my forehead square on the steering wheel.) That still gets me steamed.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Grrrr! Doesn't that just make you want to smack her?? As my Irish ex-mother-in-law would say, "Ahhh, fer fuck's sake, ye're pure idjit."

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I won't go anywhere with my younger sister anymore while she's driving. Not only does she talk on her cell phone non-stop, but she text messages as well and doesn't pay attention to where she's going. It's freaking scary, like having a blind person behind the wheel. She's all over the road, yakking the whole time, oblivious to her surroundings. She's either driving too fast or too slow, swerving this way and that, tailgating other drivers and so on. She's not the best driver to begin with, and now her cell phone makes her a serious menace on the road, a danger to every other person around her.

She won't listen to reason, though, and acts like I'm being unreasonable for refusing to step foot in her car. :rolleyes:

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
The No Talking While Driving law goes into effect here in CA on June first. Man, I can't wait!

And the kids who TEXT while driving - well, I don't even wanna go there!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I never thought it would be necessary, but NJ has a no texting law as well. What moron texts and drives at the same time?

I don't use my cell in the car, but I have OnStar - which comes with phone service. If anyone needs to get a hold of me, they have to call my car phone number (which only a few people have and I can never remember).

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
A little girl in my kid's class was mowed over by some tiny old woman talking on her cell phone while driving a giant SUV around one of the busiest cities in the world.

The kid survived, but spent several days in the hospital.

So yeah, I hate them.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Headsets are a step in the right direction, but there have been recent reports (again, gotta go find a linkie) that they don't reduce the danger all that much. It's the distraction of TALKING, not the phone itself, that causes the trouble. Your attention isn't on the road and your surroundings if it's on a telephone conversation. Period. Hang up and drive. Period.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Yeah - but then what's next? No talking with passengers? Same thing, in essence.

They can't make up their minds where the danger lies. Is it in the device? The conversation? The person you're talking to? There will always be idiots behind the wheel, unfortunately.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com

Umm... I meant the other morons, of course. :eek:

now, if you'll excuse me, I've got this size five Chuck Taylor wedged pretty firmly in my mouth and I need to take it out.

Sorry, SK. Sometimes I speak before I think. Er, type before I think.

Last edited:

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
The No Talking While Driving law goes into effect here in CA on June first. Man, I can't wait!

And the kids who TEXT while driving - well, I don't even wanna go there!

This is the kind of law that should be nationwide. No use of phones at all, no talking, no headsets, no texting - Lord help us all - no cell phones, period. Turned off and stuffed in the bottom or your purse or briefcase, or shut in the glove box. Srsly.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com

now, if you'll excuse me, I've got this size five Chuck Taylor wedged pretty firmly in my mouth and I need to take it out.
Sometimes, moron specificity is tough, y'know.

Um, don't yank too hard, your teeth may hurt :D

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - but then what's next? No talking with passengers? Same thing, in essence.

They can't make up their minds where the danger lies. Is it in the device? The conversation? The person you're talking to? There will always be idiots behind the wheel, unfortunately.

If you're talking to someone in your car, (and pay attention next time you do, you'll see it's true) if something happens outside the car, you instinctively pause in your conversation and your attention goes to that other stimulus, and then you resume talking once the other stimulus is removed. This can all happen within fractions of a second. What the cell phone conversation does is take your full attention away from those outside stimuli. Your brain needs to focus on listening to this disembodied voice coming in from a tiny device, and cannot process all the other external information it's receiving at the same time. So it's not really the same when you're talking to a companion in the car with you.

And someone once gave me a terrific quote - The most dangerous part of a car is the nut that holds the wheel. ;)

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score

Size five?? What are you, like three feet tall?? :tongue

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score

No hard feelings at all. I knew what you meant. And besides, she is a moron for risking the lives of others in pursuit of her inane conversations. :)

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
When we're driving the ambulance, we're on the radio, both calling in and listening, police, dispatch, etc./passenger is doing some of it and the driver is doing the rest and it all gets done w/o an accident.

Okay, we're trained, but still. A lot of stimulus.