• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Forced Dialog

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanctuary6284

Mental Supernova
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for avoiding forced dialog? Also I'm looking for a book on editing. Any suggestions?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Sol Stein.

As for forced dialogue -- Writing Dialogue by Tom Chiarella really helped me understand the art of "authentic" dialogue-writing. Also, go to a busy place (coffee shop, bus station, etc.) and listen to real people talk. Real dialogue does not "dole" out information as if someone is manipulating it. Real dialogue is organic, natural, and not necessarily direct. Read Chiarella's book and you may get some good insights.

8thSamurai

Registered
Reaction score
Make sure the dialogue suits the character.

Balance between 'natural' and 'dialogueish' - meaning, there will be some 'umms,coughs, pauses, etc, but the overall conversation should make fairly rapid progress to it's conclusion.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Find the balance between writing how people really speak and cutting out all (most) of the mindless crap that doesn't move the story forward.

And in addition to the book that Ray advocated, there is "Dialogue" by Gloria Kempton and "Lessons From a Lifetime of Writing" by David Morrell. Both are good.

ETA: Sorry, those books are not about editing--but they're still good, so I'll leave them in the post. :D

Last edited:

Danthia

Make sure what people are saying is an actual conversation and not just info dumping through dialog. Would people in this situation really say these things? Would this character say these things in this way?

Also, read it out loud. You'll hear forced dialog a lot easier that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.