• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Nom de Plume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to find out how many writers here write under a nom de plume, and what their reasons are.

I am not published, and frankly not prolific either but I was thinking that If I can eventually write in more than one genre, I might switch names. For example, I could write my "mainstream" novels under my real name, and "romance" novels under an assumed name.

I always thought this was considered an "old fashioned" idea, but now I attach a kind of "safety" idea with not going by your real name. With security issues, I really would not want to have people coming to knock on my door to beat me up because they are outraged at some slight I did them in a novel. (Do you know Stephan King was once punched because a fan didn't like some story?). I also wouldn't want someone to think I was rich and try to "Kidnap" me because they thought that all novelists were mega-millionaires like JK Rowling. I also don't think I would like to get a free stalker when I put my work out there for the world to judge. Or, since I must still work for someone, I would not want to be fired because I wrote a great Erotic masterpiece that does not fit the companies image.

Last edited:

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
This is addressed in the "Learning to Write with Uncle Jim" thread. I recommend reading it in its entirety. It's better than a writing book, class or seminar in many aspects. Here's a pseudonym excerpt:

Uncle Jim said:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
Pseudonym.

Really.

One of the Things That Happen is the major chain bookstores order to net -- their preorders equal the sales of your last book. But changing your name (as little as using or not using your middle initial) makes you a new author from their point of view.

Write the novel, make it non-boring, and be prepared to have this discussion with your editor.

(As to the question of the sales affecting the sale of your book to another publisher, they'll be looking at sell-through: the ratio of books printed to books that went home in a customer's hand.)

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I've used a penname and my own depending on the market. Some well-known authors also use composite photos rather than their own for the safety issues mentioned.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Jst5150, actually I like reading uncle jim. That dosen't answer the question though. It was do you use it, and why, and I gave some of the reasons I think of for using one.

I feel since I write weird unique thrillers, If anything they are the ones that should be under a nom de plume, and the "romance novels" for which there is a large and ready audience would be under the real name. Sales wide I would probably sell more of them than my thrillers.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Jst5150, actually I like reading uncle jim. That dosen't answer the question though. It was do you use it, and why, and I gave some of the reasons I think of for using one.
Fair enough. I don't. I don't because I have no cause to use a pen name. As Uncle Jim's thread mentions, it's something that's marketing decision rather than a writing one. I'm specific only to a couple of genres. They are related. So, no pen name.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not published, but I have two. The one I use here and another one. Reason is because my first name is too out there in the public. My last name is the same as a famous author, along with a few other authors.

I don't have anything to hide; it seemed more prudent to use a pen name.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm keeping my real name. But I may consider a different one for certain genres because of the ethnicity of my last name.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I've been using my real name. I like my name and it's distinctive.

Safety reasons aren't the biggest concern for me. The way I see it, you're at the biggest risk at official events (conventions, book signings, etc.). Those events announce where you'll be for months in advance and give you a name badge. Having a false name won't protect you from something happening.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use a pen name for my short stories in the horror and crime fields, but not for children's writing. This is due to my profession.

128522330945960000.jpg

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
If / when I ever get published, I'll be using a pseudonym. Part of the appeal in writing is I can entertain others without being seen. I hate attention and I embarrass easily, so I'd hate to have people knowing I wrote a book and then having it scrutinized. I don't mind crititicism (I actually love it because it's helpful), but there's something so vulnerable about being on display like that.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I decided at about 10 or 11 that I needed a pen name if I wanted to be writer. I never really questioned the decision.

The internet presence required to promote books, in particular ebooks, is a big reason for many people. I don't know many people who use their full real name as an online handle.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I have a pen name in mind if (I mean, when!) my YA novels are published.

There are about 6 authors already publishing in the YA arena who have names that are very close to mine. I already get several of these authors mixed up, and I'd hate to throw myself into that mix.

Plus, my first name is very feminine, and one of my novels (the one I'm planning to query first) has a male MC. In many cases in YA, female authors take on initials to replace a feminine-sounding first name if they're writing books with intended guy appeal. I don't really care for my initials, so I've got an androgynous-sounding pen name in mind.

A lot of times, I've heard, the author's agent and publisher get involved to come up with a marketable pen name. So it's possible (if I'm published in YA), that my real name and my chosen pen name will be thrown out in favor of something else. Who knows.

Up to now, though, I've only published articles locally, and reports related to my line of work. Those are all in my real name.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
My mother won't allow me to have a pen name xD She wants our last name to be 'famous' (not that I'll become a famous author, but you know how mothers are)

I don't know what pen name I'd use either. So using my real name just saves me the trouble of trying to come up with a different one.

I would only consider using a pen name in the obvious stated reasons posted in Uncle Jim's thread.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it most authors who assume a pen name do so if they are identified as writing in a certain genre (eg sci fi) want to write something completely different like a romance. I'm not sure why, maybe they don't want to piss off their fans and maybe they're experimenting with something new. I know Dean Koontz used to do this in his earlier days.
Maybe it also protects the name they've already made for themselves if the story doesn't turn out as good.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
There is one genre that I write under a pen name. *shrug* The others, I use my real name. I have considered that for the literary project I'm working I might *MIGHT* write under my initials and my maiden name, but I haven't decided yet.

It makes it much easier for me to keep my different types of work separate. On top of that, I don't want any young un who likes my spec fic to go to my website and have access to my erotica stuff. Doesn't seem fair--or prudent--to combine the two.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
I've always used a pen name. When I first started submitting work, it just seemed like a fun thing to have.
I am also a very private person, so that probably, subconsciously had something to do with it...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm considering the use of a pseudonym for my first novel and thus for my career. Simple convenience. I hate hearing my real last name mispronounced. I also don't want my job knowing I'm writing on the side (and possibly on company time). What I'm writing would make me, and my children, pariahs at church and their church school.

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
What's in a name?

I am using a pen name because, however distinct my name is, its hard to remember. So I found a variation that uses parts of my real name but makes it easier to remember.

However, this may change as a major league baseball player has the same last name. If he gets really well known I may consider using my real name again.

On the other hand...

If I start making sales to the point where I can 'dictate' some areas of my publishing, I'll use different pen-names for different genre, but no more than five. (That's three sir!)
Uh, three names.
:D

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I am anonymous (mostly) here on AW, mainly because I want to keep this separate from my job, in which I have kind of a little "internet persona" with my real name. But if/when my book is published, it'll be under my actual name. So then I have a little dilemma. I can't stand the thought of NOT announcing it to everyone here, but I kinda wonder what that will do to my "work" persona.

On the other hand, if I get a book published, I'll be seriously considering quitting my job completely, so... maybe it won't be such a big deal. :)

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
To hellfire you heathen!

I'm considering the use of a pseudonym for my first novel and thus for my career. Simple convenience. I hate hearing my real last name mispronounced. I also don't want my job knowing I'm writing on the side (and possibly on company time). What I'm writing would make me, and my children, pariahs at church and their church school.

And then there's that little issue...

(Good Point!)
:scared:

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'll probably use my first two initials and my last name. Warn me if this is a huge misconception, but I think many people equate female writers with chick lit. :( I want people to see my book on the shelf and say, "Cool, pirates!" not "Ewww, girlie stuff!"

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I write about sexual topics under my pen name. No need to scare family members with talk of things like BDSM...

murmel

Registered
Reaction score
If I ever get published, I plane to write under my real name and under a pen name depending on market. I am not worried about publicity issues at all. The market has a set of expectation combined with one name and when you write in two different genres (historical/contemporary) then it seems to be the better choice. My twopence worth.

Just one thing to consider when hiding is your main motivation: if you're the next Dan Brown or Jo Rowling, there's no hiding. The press will bust your guises.

Last edited:

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
I'll probably use my first two initials and my last name. Warn me if this is a huge misconception, but I think many people equate female writers with chick lit. :( I want people to see my book on the shelf and say, "Cool, pirates!" not "Ewww, girlie stuff!"

Yeah that's exactly what I plan on doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.