• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Rehashing Synopsis Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, please forgive me if this is in the wrong place. Also forgive me for bringing up a topic that has been worked over many times, but I tried to do searches on this site and had no luck in getting my question answered.

In response to my query, I have been asked by an agent to submit a one page synopsis and three sample chapters. The chapters are easy, but I am freaking out over the synopsis. Please help. I understand that it is an overview of the entire book but I am still in the dark about the exact format and amount of information that should be included.

My book is non-fiction. What are the most important things to cover in the synopsis? I have read all kinds of different views on this. Some say word count, some suggest to write about how the book will be marketed. Others say just give a summary of the book.

Also, in what order should all of the information be given?

Thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions. :flag:

~Marina

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, please forgive me if this is in the wrong place. Also forgive me for bringing up a topic that has been worked over many times, but I tried to do searches on this site and had no luck in getting my question answered.

Here's the "Writing a Synopsis" master thread.

In response to my query, I have been asked by an agent to submit a one page synopsis and three sample chapters. The chapters are easy, but I am freaking out over the synopsis. Please help. I understand that it is an overview of the entire book but I am still in the dark about the exact format and amount of information that should be included.

My book is non-fiction. What are the most important things to cover in the synopsis?

A summary of what's in the book.

I have read all kinds of different views on this. Some say word count, some suggest to write about how the book will be marketed.

Neither of those should go in the synopsis. They belong in the cover letter or in a book proposal.

Also, in what order should all of the information be given?

In the order it occurs in the book

Marina Snow

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you VERY Much. The agent was referred to me by a respected agent and I checked out the interested agent. She is highly reputable. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.