Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Robert Downey Jr.

Jeff Bridges

Ralph Fienes

Natalie Portman

Clive Owen

(agree on Johnny Depp, Edward Norton, and Christian Bale who has never been nominated!)

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
Top of my list is Bruce Willis.

I think he has been superb in a few films - think the 6th sense, absolutely breathtaking.

It is a travesty that this fine actor - that this wonderful person, that this inspiring creator of exceptional performances has not won an oscar.

It is a reflection on the poor tastes of those who sit in judgement.

Go Bruce - you are too good not to get an Oscar and your time will come.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Top of my list is Bruce Willis.

I think he has been superb in a few films - think the 6th sense, absolutely breathtaking.

It is a travesty that this fine actor - that this wonderful person, that this inspiring creator of exceptional performances has not won an oscar.

It is a reflection on the poor tastes of those who sit in judgement.

Go Bruce - you are too good not to get an Oscar and your time will come.

Is that sarcasm? Tell me that's sarcasm. Please.

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
Is that sarcasm? Tell me that's sarcasm. Please.

No it isn't.

I have some incredible mates ... and ya never know who some of me mates might be ;)

You could say I've been there or thereabouts for BW even since his Moonlighting days and he really is an underated actor.

OK I was a little OTT in my post but for some reason he has a rep that he just doesn't deserve.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I have to add Johnny Depp to that list. Brilliant actor who makes risky career choices and pulls them off beautifully.

I concur! I love the fact that five minutes after the film starts, I forget it's him, and only see the character. I didn't even know it was him until I saw the credits on Fear and Loathing :)

Now that's acting.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... I don't follow the Oscars as much since they almost always pick the wrong actor.

If Johny Depp does not have an Oscar, then shame on them. He is easily one of the best Character Actors to have ever graced the film. He BECOMES the character. It is acting so much as it is Channeling.

I think the Oscars are flawed. It is like this 'club' where they only let in the 'right kind of acting and movies'.

The awards are not made according to acting skill and genius, but rather, a preconcieved list of criteria that define what is Oscar worthy.

Take Jim Carey for instance. The fact that "Comedy" does not have the same clout as "Drama" is a sin.

They are both story forms that can command the human spirit. BUt one form is given respect while the other form is not.

I would make the argument that Comedy is 'Harder" than drama. Comedy requires a form of genius and timing and subtlety and other things that make it more difficult than drama.... O.k i'm rambling.

Johny Depp and Jim Carey.

Give them the gold.

Mel....

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don Cheadle.

You know what, I'm going to expand on this, because saying someone should have won an Oscar is like saying Dan Marino should have won a Super Bowl. You can have undisputed, exceptional talent, but sometimes you (and your supporting cast) just aren't quite good enough to beat the competition. Sometimes it just isn't your year.

For example, had Devil in a Blue Dress come out a year later, I would definitely argue that Don Cheadle should've won best supporting actor over Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire. But it came out in '95, and so it's arguable that he should've even been nominated that year.

2004, he's on the doorstep for his great performance in Hotel Rwanda, but unfortunately he was up against the Ray-Charles-posessed body of Jamie Foxx.

He couldn't win best supporting for Traffic because Benicio Del Toro is so great in the same movie.

I think he could've been nominated over Ed Harris in '98 for the Out of Sight (Harris was solid in The Truman Show, but Oscar-worthy? Really?), but he'd still lose to Coburn in Affliction.

So, damn, I want to say Cheadle "should" have one, based on his talent, but the timing sometimes kills you.

I think I could make a better argument for Sam Rockwell, who maybe should've taken it (and definitely should've at least been nominated above Jude Law from Cold Mountain) in 2003 for Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (although Ben Kingsley probably should've won instead of Sean Penn).

Last edited:

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I second the nods for Angela Lansbury and Don Cheadle. Victor Garber I love, but he's really more overdue for a Tony or an Emmy; he's never been a major film actor, unfortunately.

Though she's young, IMHO Kate Winslet has done a tremendous amount of good work in incredibly memorable movies. Surely she'll win one eventually!