PDA

View Full Version : The Fake Laugh

James81
05-20-2008, 06:18 PM
I just heard a bunch of fake laughter down the hall and it made me laugh for real.

How many of you have a fake laugh that you pull out just to be cordial?

As big as I am about being real, I do it once in a while. The trouble is, I think it's so obvious. I even had a guy call me on it once.

Since then, I've tried to cut out the "fake" laugh just to be nice, but sometimes it just happens. lol

So who else here is guilty of it?

James81
05-20-2008, 06:19 PM
^ That was a "fake" lol btw

C.bronco
05-20-2008, 06:21 PM
I pretend to be serious when I'm really laughing inside.
;)

Shadow_Ferret
05-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I do not have a fake laugh. If something isn't funny, I don't laugh just to be polite. If anything I'll go, "Ha, Ha," then roll my eyes.

People call me an asshole, I guess. :)

James81
05-20-2008, 06:37 PM
I do not have a fake laugh. If something isn't funny, I don't laugh just to be polite. If anything I'll go, "Ha, Ha," then roll my eyes.

People call me an asshole, I guess. :)

I tend to do it more for old people and kids.

They like that kind of thing.

maestrowork
05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't fake it. ;) but I do have an embarrassingly loud laugh. Friends have told me to tone it down -- I don't know how.

Jcomp
05-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I've actually got a pretty good fake laugh. I may or may not employ it depending on the situation, but you'll never know!

Muwahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Shadow_Ferret
05-20-2008, 06:51 PM
I don't fake it. ;) but I do have an embarrassingly loud laugh. Friends have told me to tone it down -- I don't know how.
Yeah. My 7-year-old pointed it out to me just the other day.

"You laugh loud, dad."

Um, thanks.

Brat.

stormie
05-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Kids know if you're faking the laugh. Old(er) people are just happy you're laughing at their joke, fake laugh or not. :D

Soccer Mom
05-20-2008, 06:55 PM
http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/5/7/mwahahahahami128546752976385000.jpg

That was a fake.

kct webber
05-20-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm with Ferret. I don't have a fake laugh. People call me an ass hole too. But then, I find myself not laughing even when I did think something was funny. I'll just sort-of think I'm laughing, but then discover that I'm not. It's odd. I've always done it though.

I sometimes do the Adam Sandler, though: ha, ha, HA HA-SHUT-UP!

Southern_girl29
05-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I can no longer fake laugh at my daughter's jokes, because she knows I didn't really laugh. She's too smart for her own good sometimes.

Staroffurby
05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I do have the ability to put on fake expression just as an act of kindness. Too often i can't be bothered and end up getting stared at or asked "Don't you get it?" So i have to reply "Yes i do, its just not funny!" Bundle of laughs me, no i am seriously!

TerzaRima
05-20-2008, 08:50 PM
I have the opposite problem and have had to develop a fake solemn expression; I was always the kid who heard, "If it's so funny, please share it with the rest of the class." This unfortunately continued throughout medical school and plagues me occasionally today. I've learned to bite the inside of my cheek to sober things up.

melaniehoo
05-20-2008, 09:09 PM
My husband and I fake laugh at each other to the point that we're rolling on the floor, laughing for real. We did it for my sister and she declared us insane. :D

As for other people, I rarely fake laugh but I'm easily amused & it's generally not a problem.

WendyNYC
05-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh yeah, I have one. But I have kind of a deep voice and it ends up sounding a little like

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh233/WendyNYC/butthead.jpg

heh heh heh

DWSTXS
05-20-2008, 09:35 PM
I don't fake-laugh, but I do fake-smile a lot.

I do it so that the person I'm faking KNOWS I'm fake-smiling them though.

lakotagirl
05-21-2008, 12:23 AM
I don't have a fake laugh. Guess I don't really need one. I laugh at everything.

Stub my toe.... laugh
Piss hubby off .... laugh
Drop a full roll of TP in the toilet ... laugh

Nope. I don't need one.

Carole
05-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah. My 7-year-old pointed it out to me just the other day.

"You laugh loud, dad."

Um, thanks.

Brat.
Glad I'm not the only one. In my review this year, my boss told me that I'm very LOUD.

At least she said it with a grin on her face. And I still got a raise!

JoNightshade
05-21-2008, 12:30 AM
I'm with lakota. I don't need a fake laugh because I laugh when I'm nervous. And someone making a poor joke usually makes me nervous.

So I guess that means I have a nervous laugh. Also, when I think something is funny, I laugh WAY TOO MUCH. The first time I went out with my now-husband, with some friends to the movies, there was this whole bit about... um, okay, embarrassing bodily functions. It was SOOOOOOOO frickin funny I couldn't stop laughing. When we got home my roommate was like "Dude, you laughed a LOT." And at that point I realized nobody else had been laughing and I had just totally embarrassed myself in front of this cute guy and I wanted to die. ;)

I also have the opposite problem, though. Sometimes I don't GET jokes. Or sometimes I'll get a joke, but then I'll think I DIDN'T get it because it wasn't funny. So I'll stand there with a puzzled look on my face until someone tries to explain or the subject changes.

Ken
05-21-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't fake laughter.
Many things strike me as funny, though.
So I'm chuckling a lot, anyway.

soleary
05-21-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't have a fake laugh, as I can find most things amusing. If someone tells a really bad joke, I can laugh because it was so bad.

What I really despise is the fake fish handshake. Now THAT I won't tolerate!

Danger Jane
05-21-2008, 01:17 AM
Nobody's ever called me out on it...must be reeeally good :tongue

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-21-2008, 03:47 AM
I never fake it.

donroc
05-21-2008, 03:50 AM
I have never faked a laugh, but I have seen false corporate laughs, you know the wide open mouth and head thrown back when the boss attempts a funny.

choppersmom
05-21-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm with Ferret. I don't have a fake laugh. People call me an ass hole too. But then, I find myself not laughing even when I did think something was funny. I'll just sort-of think I'm laughing, but then discover that I'm not. It's odd. I've always done it though.

I sometimes do the Adam Sandler, though: ha, ha, HA HA-SHUT-UP!

I do this too. I'll be watching a show or something that I sincerely do think is hysterical, but I just don't laugh at it. I don't know why. I do laugh at other things, and OMG, sometimes I get going so bad I hyperventilate. I'm serious, if I get the giggles too bad I have to breathe in a paper bag. You guys here at AW have done that to me a few times; Hey, thanks for that!! And I'm totally the class clown at work.

Re: Annoying laughs: There's a girl at work who is very nice, but reeeeeaaaaly loud, with one of those loud, brash HA HA HA HA HA HA laughs that make me want to stand up and scream at her to shut the %$@$%&$ up over the wall of my cubicle. But I don't.