Budgeting (a.k.a. What I've Learned Recently)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many of you are in the same rickety boat with me. At tax time this year, Mr. Vagabond and I sat at H & R Block watching as our total earnings for the year were tallied up, and then we picked our jaws off the floor when we saw the bottom line.

Where does all our money go!?

No, we don't have big incomes by a long stretch. I'd say that our household income is pretty average for our area. We have a super-cheap house that was a foreclosure, and our monthly housing payment is probably half that of our neighbors with much smaller places. We do have a ridiculously expensive truck that we seem to be stuck with for a little while, and that thing drinks gas like it's been in the desert for years and each gas station is the last oasis on earth. Oh well. It was expensive, but still affordable for us a year ago. Lately with gas prices going to the moon, not so much. (Note: When gas prices hit $4.00 here, it will cost us $112.00 to fill up the tank and I do that every week!!)

So this morning, sick of being broke and filled with inspiration to turn our spending practices around, I sat here with my favorite program of all time - Excel - and started an honest look at our finances. I opened up my bank account online and started a spreadsheet beginning with last payday, two Fridays ago. Nothing too unusual happened over the past 2 weeks, so I figured that would give me pretty good insight as to where we're being stupid.

First let me say that when I was finished, I saw that I actually spent $15 more than I earned last pay period. Did I mention that it's not even payday again? No idea how I managed that since I was down to almost nothing that Friday.

At the end of my little sheet, what I learned was that I could have saved close to $300 in the past 2 weeks if I had only not been stupid. Things I purchased with absolutely zero need include, but are not limited to: Extra Lysol (I already had three bottles of cleaner), More yarn for baby stuff (as if 900 - not really, but close - skeins of pink yarn aren't enough to clothe my brother's new baby for a year as it is!), two movies on DVD (we already own so many DVDs that they won't fit on the shelf in the living room), $60 worth of fast food, More soap (should I really need a whole bathroom drawer just to hold soap?), Q-tips, since I can't find the last pack I bought but know that it's here somewhere, and let's not forget all the food that just spoiled before we could eat it!

This is ridiculous. I think I need an intervention. With the way the economy is going, you would think I'd be a lot more cautious. I'm really not that dumb (Or am I?) so I should know better. Please tell me that I'm not the only one...

Last edited:

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many of you are in the same rickety boat with me. ...

My boat's not rickety, well not much anyway. I spend way too much on beer and restaurants. I think we have all gotten into the habit of spending without thinking. It has become so routine we don't even notice it.

My two pennies(not that I have any to spare)

Richard

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Spending without thinking. That's the thing. If it's there, I have money and I want it, I buy it without looking a week or two down the road. My younger son has it nailed. He loves money. So much, in fact, that he never spends any. He'll walk to work rather than drive his car just so he doesn't have to buy gas. (Then again he only works a few blocks from his dorm) He even goes to movies for free because he works at a theater. He takes his meals at his dorm's cafeteria (Good thing, since it's included in room and board. Better thing since he is on scholarships!) and he rarely goes to the mall to buy anything. If he wants something, he thinks about it for a while and plans it out. Where did he get this attitude? I have no earthly idea. Certainly not from me.

My husband is just as bad. He theorizes that we were to freakin dirt poor for so long that neither of us know how to be careful with money or even have the desire.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
My boat's not rickety because I spend way too much on painting it, remodeling it, redecorating it, maintaining it and loving it. Along with similar unneeded purchases (how many bottles of shampoo, deodorant, kitchen d/w liquid and Comet do we need? How many bars of soap? How many pairs of socks? How many flashlights, batteries, cans of tuna, bottles of salad dressing?)

I'd write more, but I need to go shopping...

::sigh::

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I am in the same boat. The problem I have is in going out to eat, renting movies, and buying books, DVD's etc.
I don't even go out to eat in nice restaurants either, just fast food.

The problem is, being single, I can't stay cooped up inside all weekend because I go stir crazy. If you go out anywhere, you spend $

and Dating? There's no way I can even afford that right now.

It's not the big purchases that sink me. It's the many little purchases that add up.
The ones that you think 'Oh, that's only $4? that's no big deal!'
At the end of the weekend, you see that you spend $2, $3, or $4 twelve times.....

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Don't sweat the stuff that you will eventually use, like the yarn or soap or Lysol. They don't go bad. I do the same thing. Buy in bulk, but when they're on sale.

Now here's where I go wrong with the money: We hardly ever eat out or do take out. When we do, we go to a mid-priced restaurant, as opposed to a fast food place. I order the appetizer as a main course, patting myself on the back for being thrifty. BUT I'm enjoying being out and I order a glass of wine (even house wines are about $5), dessert (about $4.50), and coffee ($2). Then there's the 20% tip. And tax. So if I could just ask for a glass of water with ice (not bottled water), and skip dessert, or share it, I'd save about $10. Saving that $10 a month adds up. Then I think, wait a minute--can't I enjoy myself once in awhile?

So, Carole, yeah, you're not alone!

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
He even goes to movies for free because he works at a theater.

Very best job in the world. :D (Most of the time, anyhow...)

A number of people both on and off this board have recommended a book called The Complete Money Makeover. I've yet to check it out, but I thought I'd put that in for what it's worth.

Carole, I think you've taken the critical first step, though--finding out where your money's going. Keep keeping track, and you may find that that's all you have to do.

Not that I'm in any shape to give advice. I know where my income goes--to the restaurants. So I bought a Crock Pot on the weekend, and now I can put stuff in it and know that I'll have dinner waiting when I get home from work. At two in the morning. (Because working in a theatre does have it's down sides. :tongue )

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Every year I sit down and do a budget. It's really a good idea what you're doing, Carol. Apart from the essentials such as mortgage, etc. often we'll find ways to cut down on waste and discretional spending.

My biggest "wastes" are dining out and movies. Well, I have to watch movies (I review them) but I now try to go to matinees instead of evening shows. I also get on a list for advance screenings and so far I've seen six movies for free (as long as I reviewed them). I also usually end up eating at home a lot soon after I do the budget, but eventually go back to old habit because I do really need to go out often with friends, etc. -- it drives me crazy to be home all the time.

I also have huge bills on the Internet, cell phone, etc. But I've cut down already -- only subscribing to the cheapest plans. Other than that, it's the occasional big item purchases such as a new iPod, Mac software, etc. My car has a 35 mpg fuel efficiency so it's not too bad -- but I do enjoy taking a long drive once in a while (by long I mean like over 100 miles each way).

Ever since I watch my spending I've discovered ways to minimize it:

- I only buy what I need and I make sure I really have run out of something before I buy it. I'm also the kind of shopper who grabs what he needs and gets out anyway.

- I don't grocery-shop when I'm hungry; otherwise, that's when I buy all the crap I don't need or normally eat... like hot pockets or big bags of potato chips

- When I really want something (like a new HD TV or something), I won't impulse buy. I do my research, then look at the thing for at least a couple of weeks, then walk away. I think about if I really need it (vs. I just "want" it). If after a few weeks I still think I "need" it, then I'll buy. Most often, though, I find that I end up not buying because I realize I just "want" it. I used to have $thousands worth of gadgets and gizmos. I don't really anymore.

- I subscribe to Netflix. Saves me $hundreds if not $thousands. Often I realize I don't really need to own the DVDs I watch. Sometimes I do want to own something -- but if I wait a few more months, I can sometimes find them in the bargain bins.

- I go through my fridge once in a while and throw out the "bad" or expired stuff. That way I know what I buy but don't eat. Also, that way I'd know what I don't have and what I have. So when I go shopping I don't end up buying extras.

- I buy clothes maybe twice a year. Enough styles to mix and match. So don't be surprised if you see me wearing the same thing when you see me. But I don't really care. They still look good on me. My clothing budget every YEAR is like $300.

- cut up all your credit cards except for one, with a lower credit limit. That way, you will only use it for stuff you really need or must have. Also, try to pay the balance off or down every month. I also have a HELoC (home equity line of credit) to consolidate my credit cards -- the interest rate is only 7.5% now and the interest is tax-deductible.

- every year go through all your utility bills and figure if you can cut down. Do you need all those cell phone minutes? Do you need 500 cable channels (and still nothing to watch)? Do you need the 4-out-at-a-time Netflix plan? Do you need that XM subscription? I usually find myself cutting down at least $100 by eliminating or lowering my plans.

That said, I tend not to think about money or stress. That's why I do a budget every year or so to remind myself, but I don't stress about it every day. I don't conscientiously dread about money -- I just make the above into habits... second natures. When I go out I don't stress. The "do I need it" thing has become a second nature to me now. And I feel that the more you stress about money and the more you "want" to have more, the less you seem to have. I don't usually stress about it and so far I'm doing very well, even when the stock market tanked for months -- well, it came back.

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
It must be the economy or that time of year or something. I keep meaning to sit down with all my receipts and see where my money goes. I'm thinking I only need a nice little spreadsheet to track everything, as we don't have much in the way of complex financial data. Our house really needs to buckle down and get rid of the credit card debt.

One of my biggest issues is the grocery store. Generics are your friend, as most of them are really good nowadays. However, my husband was raised that generic=bad by the Grandmother-Who-Spoiled-the-Living-Crap-Out-of-Him. So he insists that his stuff be brand name, and of course these are way more expensive. So a bunch of my money goes to pay for his crap.

I am so in need of a deep declutter and organizing festival. I should make a party out of it.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing how much money you save (and how much more conscious you are of spending) when you sit down and write it out (or put it into excel--which is what I do).

I read some advice last year that has REALLY helped me curb unnecessary spending and that is to earmark how ever dollar is going to be spent BEFORE you get your paycheck.

And yes, make sure you earmark some money for "entertainment" purposes. Don't punish yourself, but if you are conscious about where your money is going, you'll spend less.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
ISo this morning, sick of being broke and filled with inspiration to turn our spending practices around, I sat here with my favorite program of all time - Excel - and started an honest look at our finances.
I did that. Excel lies to me and says we should have several hundred EXTRA dollars a month after bills, groceries, and all the other necessary expenditures.

Have no idea where that money goes. I think someone is tapping into our account without our knowledge.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I did that. Excel lies to me and says we should have several hundred EXTRA dollars a month after bills, groceries, and all the other necessary expenditures.

Have no idea where that money goes. I think someone is tapping into our account without our knowledge.

They're called kids.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I am so in need of a deep declutter and organizing festival. I should make a party out of it.

Can I join you? I think you may be right in that it's the economy or that time of year or whatever. I've just had this looming thing over my head ever since tax season and it's spilled over into everything else.

We've owned this house for over a year now, and it's nowhere close to livable. I would die if any of my relatives decided to come visit, but we always feel that we can't afford what we want to work on. It's that no money cycle. I feel deprived toward the end of a pay cycle so the minute I get paid I'm taking the truck through the car wash, buying lunch at my favorite Japanese grill and picking up a ton of totally necessary (unnecessary) things at Wal Mart, and that's just on payday! I still have almost two weeks to go afterward until my next payday. So of course by the time the next pay period rolls around, I'm broke again and counting the minutes until I get paid.

I never wanted to be one of "those people" people who live paycheck to paycheck with nothing to show for it, but that's exactly where I am. Mr. Vagabond sure doesn't help, either. He has an extreme job that's very dangerous, so when he gets paid he fully believes that he is entitled to spend whatever he wants on anything he wants. He is never behind on paying any bill, so his thinking tells him that whatever is left over after paying his bills is his to blow. Sure, he's technically right, but after 10 years together neither of us have any real savings. None. Yep, you heard right. He has his 401k, but that's very small after pulling so much out for house repairs and we learned this year that we can't touch it ever again unless we actually liked paying Uncle Sam twice for the privilege.

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I budget a certain amount of money to spend on groceries and necessities every pay period, and I take that money in cash. Unless it's an unplanned expense, I use cash for everything. That way I can see my pocketbook dwindling. To make sure I don't use up next week's money this week, I place that cash aside and only pull it out the following Friday.

Food: I buy it when I'm going to cook it. If I buy more at once, I require myself to use it. It can be a pain to have to run out to the grocery store after getting home late from work, but I've found it actually saves me a few dollars (only buy what you need, then get out like the store's on fire!).

Wants: If I want something, I have to assess if I have the cash for it. If I'm desperately wanting to shop, I check my credit card balance first (I only retain a balance on one card so any debt is consolidated and in my face every month). When I find something I want, I walk away, run the item around in my head for a marathon with my money goals, and then decide if it's worthy.

Set a savings goal, whether it be per paycheck or per month. I have an account set up for automatic deposit that I never touch.

If you save money at the grocery store through coupons, pull that money out of your pocket along with the change you got back from the bill, and place it in a jar. It adds up faster than you'd think.

Don't feel like you have to rigidly maintain a money regimen like this. It's okay to eat out once in awhile or go see a movie. Take saved money from the grocery store or money you have leftover at the end of the pay period (it can happen!) and set it aside in an envelope, hidden at the bottom of a drawer you never go into. Then when you want to do something fun, you've got some cash on hand.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Screw it, you can't take it with you. I have more important things to do than counting the pennies. So long as I still have a roof over my head and food in my belly, I'm not spending too much, and that's as far as my budgeting goes.

Sometimes you do have to let go and have a good time -- life's too short -- and not worry about or count the pennies. But. You can't continue to do the grasshopper for too long. Yes, chances are we may die tomorrow so it doesn't really matter. But just in case we live to 100... well, we need to save money for our retirement and medical bills, etc.

I believe in some kind of balance. I don't live like a monk -- I play and I play hard -- but at the same time, I have a nest egg so in case I do live to 100, I don't have to stress about money either.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
after 10 years together neither of us have any real savings. None. Yep, you heard right.
Carole, I suggest an automatic deposit into a savings account that you both agree not to touch. If it never makes it into your hands, you can pretend it doesn't exist! Your spending will adjust around it.

It's very hard to make changes in spending habits. It takes a lot of discipline and self-correction. It eventually gets easier to maintain.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
or addictions. In my house, that would include books (mine) clothes (brat #2) art supplies (brat # 1) and things to eat that are soooooo rotten for you but SOMEONE can't live without (husband.)

We also have pets. LOTS of pets.

We don't really go out to eat often--maybe 5 or 6 times a year. Working in the service industry cured me of that. Same for movies in the theater--there's only 5 or 6 movies I have to see on the big screen every year...and by the time you pay for gas to get there, tickets, soda, popcorn it's almost cheaper to go to the bar and drink a few beers instead.

Gas is what's killing us. My husband's work has him driving all over the place and it costs probably $180-220 per week to keep the gas tank filled.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Set a savings goal, whether it be per paycheck or per month. I have an account set up for automatic deposit that I never touch.

That's something I think everyone should consider doing. Take out the money before you even see or touch it. Out of sight, out of mind. Whether it's an IRA, 401(k) or an individual saving/investment account. Do a budget and determine how much you can save, then direct-deposit that amount. Before you know it, you have a nice nest egg growing (that's how I managed to save 25% of my income over the last 10 years).

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that really worries me is what if something happened and I lost my job or Mr. Vagabond lost his? We'd have nothing to fall back on. Chances are, we couldn't even sell the house to save ourselves because the real estate market is so pitiful. And it's not like that is some unrealistic concern. People lose their jobs every day. People with years of seniority and a strong college education lose their jobs without any warning.

And then what if this recession really does turn into a full on depression? What then? I can already barely afford to fill up the gas tank just to get to work.

Geez - maybe I'll just worry myself into actually being responsible.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Another thing I do, now that I'm a freelancer is to minimize my health insurance premiums. Granted, I don't have kids nor do I have a chronic health issue, so it's easier for me to do. Still, I don't need the fancy plans. I just need something to pay for the hospital bills in case I get really sick or have an accident or something. Otherwise, I have a savings account set up for the occasional doctor's visit and deductibles (put in what I otherwise would have paid for the health insurance).

My plan is $130 a month, with a $2500 deductible. Normally I probably would have to pay $350 a month for an individual plan, so that's almost $2500 I can put toward that healthcare savings account. I hardly ever use up that deductible so whatever is left over in that savings account goes toward the following year (or I can tap into it for other spending if I need to).

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
One thing that really worries me is what if something happened and I lost my job or Mr. Vagabond lost his? We'd have nothing to fall back on. Chances are, we couldn't even sell the house to save ourselves because the real estate market is so pitiful. And it's not like that is some unrealistic concern. People lose their jobs every day. People with years of seniority and a strong college education lose their jobs without any warning.

And then what if this recession really does turn into a full on depression? What then? I can already barely afford to fill up the gas tank just to get to work.

Geez - maybe I'll just worry myself into actually being responsible.

Yeah.. Start saving. You should always have at least 6-12 months of cash flow as a cushion. Say if your monthly budget is $3000, that is at least $18,000 in case of emergency or if both of you lose your jobs. If you don't have that now, it's time to really fasten your belts and make it your goal.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I actually just went through the same thing and discovered that even after having paid off my student loans and one of my ex-wife's credit cards, I still only come out $16 ahead on a month to month basis. And that's without any cushion for emergencies at all (which is why having to put 4 new tires on my car is stressing me out quite a bit right now). For now, I'm trying to live on cash only. I have my expenses broken down into monthly and weekly and every pay day, I get out enough cash to cover my weekly ones. Then I go home and put my ATM card in the freezer (where my credit cards already reside).

The key for me was to budget realistically on how I've actually been living recently and not how I think I should be living. There are definitely things I could cut out, but those are the quality of life things that I would feel very cheated by not having. Sure, I'm not entirely comfortable with the reality of the situation, but it's a start. And it's a much bigger step toward financial responsibility than I've ever taken before, so I figure I should learn to be comfortable with this before I try to do anything else.