Lulu versus Laser Printer Ink (Printouts, Mailing and Editing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So, a pp470 lulu book costs 13.93. Lots of books won't be that big, but that's the MAXIMUM price.

An ink cart costs somewhere between 15 and 30 bucks. My HP's black ink cart coughs out and dies after two printouts or so.

So, let's assume $15/2 for an ink cart.

Cheap printer paper costs about 3 bucks and you can get, like, 500 sheets. That's at least three printouts of the average sized novel.

15/2 + 1 (3/3)
So a minimum cost printout costs ~8 bucks to make, versus a maximum cost lulu book of ~14. (But can cost as little as >5.)

With an average sized novel, the choice about sending out either a paper print out or a lulu print out comes down to three things.

(1 - which weighs less and costs less to mail?
(2 - Will agents and editors see it as gimmicky? Will this hurt someone's chances of being published?
(3 - Does it remove your ability to sell first-rights?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
But ... if I were an agent, I think I'd look on a bound Lulu volume as rather presumptive. Second, if the agent loves it and wants it, but wants to do some editing, make some changes - is it going to be harder to handle a bound Lulu volume for editing (double spaced right?), and how do you handle requested changes from the author? Puma

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
But ... if I were an agent, I think I'd look on a bound Lulu volume as rather presumptive. Second, if the agent loves it and wants it, but wants to do some editing, make some changes - is it going to be harder to handle a bound Lulu volume for editing (double spaced right?), and how do you handle requested changes from the author? Puma

Deleting and redoing the file on Lulu isn't any big thing, but there is a time factor. If an agent says, "I want these changes and then I'll be representen', g-to-the-b-dawg," I'd more than likely bite the cost of a regular print out, just in the interest of saving time.

I assume you CAN double space a lulu document, though I could be wrong.

Lulu bindings include spiral bound, stapled at the ends, and actual "imitating a published book" bound.

The spiraled and stapled ones don't look very presumptuous, but they do look different. And that's a huge risk all its own.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Agents and editors like loose leaf submissions, not even bound together by a paper clip. Why mess with that?

If you don't want to use your own printer, why not a Kinkos? Aren't you in university? When I was in university there were tons of cheap photocopy/printing places on campus because, well, everyone needed to print or photocopy something. There are other options aside from print it yourself and Lulu. Other options that wouldn't piss any agent or editor right off.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Agents like loose leaf. But you can print more cheaply through Kinkos or Staples. I download to the Staples site and pick up my copies at my local store. But Staples will also mail it for you.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Um...buy a laserjet?

So, a pp470 lulu book costs 13.93. Lots of books won't be that big, but that's the MAXIMUM price.

An ink cart costs somewhere between 15 and 30 bucks. My HP's black ink cart coughs out and dies after two printouts or so.

So, let's assume $15/2 for an ink cart.

Cheap printer paper costs about 3 bucks and you can get, like, 500 sheets. That's at least three printouts of the average sized novel.

15/2 + 1 (3/3)
So a minimum cost printout costs ~8 bucks to make, versus a maximum cost lulu book of ~14. (But can cost as little as >5.)

With an average sized novel, the choice about sending out either a paper print out or a lulu print out comes down to three things.

(1 - which weighs less and costs less to mail?
(2 - Will agents and editors see it as gimmicky? Will this hurt someone's chances of being published?
(3 - Does it remove your ability to sell first-rights?

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Um...buy a laserjet?

Yeah, I saw the one I bought for $99 once. Works like a charm. Consumables are expensive, but you only have to worry about them every 12 - 18 months, depending on how much you've printed.

Nicole

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
I think one reason editors/agents like looseleaf is that they can take out smaller chunks like if they're reading on the train, passing around the office, etc.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Every fiction agent I've ever heard of (quite a number) wants nothing but double-spaced loose-leaf standard manuscript, as has been indicated by most everyone responding in this thread. There are plenty of good reasons for this preference, and no getting around it, so for submission purposes, don't fret your brain trying the unusual (and almost certainly unacceptable) method.

Now, that having been said, I have used Lulu to produce a standard trade-paperback volume, available to me only, to give to a couple of writer friends for critique. It's competitively cheap and easy to do, and the recipients under those circumstances said they'd prefer a standard book format. I included a statement inside indicating clearly that the volume was nothing more than a manuscript in book format, not available for commercial sale, and not to be considered published material.

caw

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't you in university? When I was in university there were tons of cheap photocopy/printing places on campus because, well, everyone needed to print or photocopy something. There are other options aside from print it yourself and Lulu. Other options that wouldn't piss any agent or editor right off.

The computer lab goons get very, very upset when I print anything more than ten pages at a time. And they have some stupid program that keeps track of which userID has printed how many pages. I know, its not like I paid thousands of dollars in tuition, and its not like every single professor on campus, at some point or another, requires something more than ten pages in length--I mean, really, I'm being absurd, you know?

So printing my novel alongside other homework is next to impossible.

I might check the prices out at Staples, then, since I really don't want to get myself blacklisted. Also, like soccerMom said-- Easy Button.

Also, everyone who said that their ink carts last 18 months---are we on different planets? I have an HP scanner//printer and it runs out of ink after about two run-throughs of my novel. For my specific printer, that's 30 bucks to every ream of paper. :( It would literally be cheaper to go buy a new low end Lexmark printer every single time. And for me, that's absurd.

###

I have to wonder...

Every fiction agent I've ever heard of (quite a number) wants nothing but double-spaced loose-leaf standard manuscript, as has been indicated by most everyone responding in this thread. There are plenty of good reasons for this preference, and no getting around it, so for submission purposes, don't fret your brain trying the unusual (and almost certainly unacceptable) method.

...why do they want looseleaf? It isn't easier to read. It gets lost if you drop it. Having finally had a chance to do some actual editing with real deadlines, I ended up putting everything in its own pocket-folder. (I can't print more than ten pages in any given two hour period, but by gum, I can have all the rubber bands and folders I can hide in my trousers!)

Maybe I'm weird, but I found it incredibly annoying to end up with loose leaf documents mixing up with one another, and got to the point where I wanted to throw anything away that didn't have a slug and add number on top.

Now, that having been said, I have used Lulu to produce a standard trade-paperback volume, available to me only, to give to a couple of writer friends for critique. It's competitively cheap and easy to do, and the recipients under those circumstances said they'd prefer a standard book format. I included a statement inside indicating clearly that the volume was nothing more than a manuscript in book format, not available for commercial sale, and not to be considered published material.
caw

Yeah. At the very least, it seems logical for beta readers.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Also, everyone who said that their ink carts last 18 months---are we on different planets? I have an HP scanner//printer and it runs out of ink after about two run-throughs of my novel. For my specific printer, that's 30 bucks to every ream of paper. :( It would literally be cheaper to go buy a new low end Lexmark printer every single time. And for me, that's absurd.

We're talking LASER printers. No ink. Toner. :)

Nicole

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I have to wonder...

...why do they want looseleaf? It isn't easier to read.

Yes, it bloody is. I've done technical academic editing for many years, and I guaranteee you, loose-leaf double-spaced manuscript pages are the only acceptable way to submit a manuscript. Period. End of story. Don't argue with me. Are you listening? Understand this in the marrow of your bones. I'll repeat it, on the off-chance you still don't get it: double-spaced standard manuscript pages, loose-leaf, are all you should ever submit unless the rare exception happens where somebody actually requests you do something different.

Why is this so? Because it is. Because if you're an editor, you want blank space available for comment or correction, if necessary.

Regards "dropping" a manuscript. I've never dropped a manuscript. Never. As in, not one time. Not even when seriously hung over. And, if I should happen to drop a manuscript, which I never expect to do, that's my fault, not yours. Provided, of course, that you've had the common sense to number your pages.

This is the way it is. Don't argue. You're not trying to please yourself. You're trying to please an editor or agent and get the cooperation of one to further your effort to get published. This is what's important. Don't argue. Arguing this idiotic point is the true signal of an amateur and a dilettante, and no editor or agent has either the time or the patience to deal with such a person. You ain't going to change this preference. Don't argue.

Now, go write something worth publishing.

And submit it in a standard acceptable format. Don't argue with me.

caw

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it bloody is. I've done technical academic editing for many years, and I guaranteee you, loose-leaf double-spaced manuscript pages are the only acceptable way to submit a manuscript. Period. End of story. Don't argue with me. Are you listening? Understand this in the marrow of your bones. I'll repeat it, on the off-chance you still don't get it: DOUBLE-SPACED STANDARD MANUSCRIPT PAGES, LOOSE-LEAF, ARE ALL YOU SHOULD EVER SUBMIT ANYWHERE, unless the rare exception happens where somebody actually requests you do something different.

Why is this so? Because it is. Because if you're an editor, you want blank space available for comment or correction, if necessary.

Regards "dropping" a manuscript. I've never dropped a manuscript. Never. As in, not one time. Not even when seriously hung over. NEVER. EVER. NEVER. Is this clear enough? And, if I should happen to drop a manuscript, which I never expect to do, that's my fault, not yours. Provided, of course, that you've had the common sense to NUMBER YOUR PAGES.

This is the way it is. Don't argue. You're not trying to please yourself. You're trying to please an editor or agent and get the cooperation of one to further your effort to get published. This is what's important. Don't argue. Arguing this idiotic point is the true signal of an amateur and a dilettante, and no editor or agent has either the time or the patience to deal with such a person. You ain't going to change this preference. Don't argue.

Now, go write something worth publishing.

And submit it IN A STANDARD ACCEPTABLE FORMAT. Don't argue with me.

caw

I am more than acquainted with what proper submission format is; I'm questioning why loose leaf is considered proper.

Why loose leaf? What tangible advantage does it offer? What possible disadvantage do binding, folders, and paper clips present? (I already know first-hand why staples are a pain in the ass. Most people are very poor at stapling documents, and end up making the very top corner unreadable. Attempts at removing the staple tend to hurt and damage the paper.)

That said, I've always, to my knowledge, been cordial and polite to you on this particular venue. I'd appreciate the same courtesy in return.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
What possible disadvantage do binding, folders, and paper clips present?

I think... just from beta-reading experience, it's sometimes useful to be able to have two (or more) pages in front of you at once. So a permanent binding would be frustrating in that respect. I'm not sure why paper clips and folders aren't allowed. I'm actually not sure why they're not required.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I was always told that a bound manuscript is a bad thing. Agents almost always have specified to me that they want it paginated, unbound, etc etc. But moreover, they want to feel as though they've discovered something, as though they can make it reach its true potential... they want it to look like a manuscript, not a book.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I think... just from beta-reading experience, it's sometimes useful to be able to have two (or more) pages in front of you at once. So a permanent binding would be frustrating in that respect. I'm not sure why paper clips and folders aren't allowed. I'm actually not sure why they're not required.
Of course in Hollywood, they want scripts or treatments three-hole punched and bound with just two brads. Why? Convention. Doing anything else shows you to be a noob.

It's not that unbound manuscripts is the ONLY conceivable, acceptable submission convention, but it's the one the industry expects. You're playing by their rules.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I am more than acquainted with what proper submission format is; I'm questioning why loose leaf is considered proper.

Why loose leaf? What tangible advantage does it offer? What possible disadvantage do binding, folders, and paper clips present? (I already know first-hand why staples are a pain in the ass. Most people are very poor at stapling documents, and end up making the very top corner unreadable. Attempts at removing the staple tend to hurt and damage the paper.)

That said, I've always, to my knowledge, been cordial and polite to you on this particular venue. I'd appreciate the same courtesy in return.
In no particular order, some advantages of loose-leaf are:

• Can be read without having to hold it open.
  • Can be spread out on lap or table.
  • Can be divided to share with others.
  • Has approx. 250 words per page.
That last point is perhaps the most important. The 12 pt./DS format is for the convenience/comfort of the reader. Do the math for a Lulu-generated ms in 12 pt./DS. to compare to your toner and paper costs.

The problem with paper clips the same as staples: bulk of stacked docs, catching on things, damaging the paper, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.