Canadian or american agency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tresshort

Registered
Reaction score
Folks,
are there any disadvantages to choosing a canadian agency? One would think they have less connections since the market in Canada is smaller than in the US. I'm asking because I live in Canada and it would just be more convenient to find an agent in my country, but I'm aiming for the best.

Thanks!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It really depends on the stuff you are writing. There are some really well connected agents in Canada who are great at getting deals in the States and beyond. But I do find that when it comes to getting published in Canada, publishers really like "Canadian content". That isn't to say there isn't a market for genre here, but that the authors who write about Canadian cities, and uniquely Canadian stuff definitely get noticed more. So if your work isn't specifically "Canadian" you may want to look abroad as well.

Getting an agent in the US (heck even the UK) is not as inconvenient as you may think. Sure sending out letters and dealing with postage is annoying, but in the world of email, it really is no big deal. My agent is in the UK. My editor in the USA. And I do lots of publicity in Canada. It's really doable. I say query agents by who you think would best represent you and your work (that includes Canadian agents), and not based on location.

tresshort

Registered
Reaction score
Hey thanks mate.
I'm writing something close to young adult fiction I guess, nothing related to Canada. So I'll look everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.