• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Making up words

Status
Not open for further replies.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you could... but I think it would be better to say "he had the bangs of a sheepdog" (or if you prefer similes "he had bangs like a sheepdog.") :D

Most editors prefer you don't make up words when you don't have to. If you need to talk about a flapdoozle, and it's important that it is a flapdoozle, then by all means go for it, but in this case you can work around it grammatically - and have the added bonus of being correct. :)

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
It's not so much that I needed it as I just liked it. Sheepdoggishly. It sounds so cute. And I instantly get this image in my head. Well, anyway, I understand what you're saying. Thanks.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
English is not a dead language. You are allowed to create terms. You are using appropriate suffixes/affixes, so it is a totally appropriate thing. I think it would be cool to create a character who made up many words. I think it has been done before, but I like the idea.

Staroffurby

i'm impossible to describe
Registered
Reaction score
The cheeky seaside postcard city of Brighton, in t
Website
www.smeggys.co.uk
English is not a dead language. You are allowed to create terms. You are using appropriate suffixes/affixes, so it is a totally appropriate thing. I think it would be cool to create a character who made up many words. I think it has been done before, but I like the idea.

That would be huge amounts of fun, but i would spend all the time creating words and leave no time for writing.

laidback

Registered
Reaction score
Keep "sheepdoggishly", I like it. Can you put it in dialogue where another character describes him?

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
I think 99% of Neuromancer is filled with made up words. If you think about it, most of the words in the English language are made-up anyway, either adapted from other languages or combined using morphemes.

Nobody complained when Chaucer created words. Go for it!

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
My own favorite made-up word is "smuffy" -- sort of suffocatingly stuffy. Cute is good in moderation (unless you are a kitten, then go for the gold!
catdot.png
)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If the rest of the manuscript is just as whimsical in its character descriptions, I say go with "sheepdogishly long bangs".

Or if isn't really all that whimsical, "long sheepdog bangs" might work too.

-Derek

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I make up words when I can't find one suitable or when I think a new one sounds better, every so often. I think in this case "sheepdoggishly" is a wonderful word since it instantly conveys what it means. The only caution I'd have is to not do it too often because then the new words just start to sound silly and forced, but in this case I figure that won't be a problem.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
I'm fairly sure "sheepdoggishly" is one of the greatest words ever put into visual. Well done.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose you can make up words whenever you want. I see it done in mostly fanfiction. As for works you intend to publish, I think it works best with a first person narrative, or when you hyphenate things in an odd way, rather than pushing it all together.

Sheepdoggishly, I don't like, but that's just me. I like that suggestion with "the bangs of a sheep dog." If you start making up words when there's an equal alternative, what the heck is the point, other than to sound creative in a way that trips up your editor and your reader?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think it sounds fine. Don't do it too often, but it's ok once in a while.

Yes, you could... but I think it would be better to say "he had the bangs of a sheepdog" (or if you prefer similes "he had bangs like a sheepdog.") :D

That's taking an active tense of the word and turning it into passive tense. That's generally frowned upon.

If you really can't get away with making a new word (there is also a lot of angst around here about those words that end in "ly"), go with:

"He had sheepdog bangs"

drachin8

post-apocalyptic bunny
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I like "sheepdoggishly". It has a very interesting rhythm to it, slides on the tongue well, is spelled such that you don't get too visually lost in it, and is very evocative because not only do you get the sheepdog reference, but for me it also blends in a bit with sheepishly giving me a potential picture of the kind of person who hides behind bangs like that. I must also say that the alternatives "like a sheepdog", etc, just don't ring with that same fun rhythm and picture for me.

That said, I am in the group of folk who occasionally makes up a word because, dangit, it's the right word! It's not my fault English hadn't "invented" the poor thing yet.

:)

-Michelle

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Can I say of a guy who had long hair that he had "sheepdoggishly long bangs?"

Wrong question. Who is "I"? The narrator or the character?

If a character says this in dialogue, then it's perfectly fine as long as the character is the type who would use made up words. In fact, using a made up word shows something about the character. For example, I'd accept the word "sheepdoggishly" a lot more readily from a teenage character than a college professor character.

If it's the narrator, then using a made up word depends on the style of the narrative. If the narrative is very formal, then using a made up word would be out of place.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I do it all the time--well, maybe not all the time, but when I'm convinced it works. I really don't think you'll have a problem as long as the word works and is proper English.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I say put it in context of description, He glanced over at her, out from under his long hair, giving him a sheepdoggishly comical look.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I like "sheepdogishly." I think it's vivid and characterizes whoever's rendering that judgment too.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Can I say of a guy who had long hair that he had "sheepdoggishly long bangs?"

Diane, to chime in with the other opinions: I do like your word (especially if your WIP is casual and chatty in tone), but I think it would work better if it weren't an adverb.

His long hair, sheepdoggish bangs falling across his face, served as a curtain behind which to hide.

Or whatever, according to your content...

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.