Research question Part Two

Norma Jean

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry for all the many questions, but all this is part of the research I do before starting any story...it's best to get actual facts...instead of make-believe events. So my theory was this: Bill asked his hateful best friend if he could buy a slave from him and his best friend refused without hesitation, because the friend loved physically abusing this slave. So because Bill was SO in love with this slave and wanted to be with her, he and the slave ran away. So that's theft of Property in the slave owner's mind, so the slave owner and his "associates" come after Bill for theft of property and come after the slave for trying to run away, and both Bill and the slave are punished brutally by hanging, whipping or even death......this all happened in the 1700s in southern USA....now hearing all the full details, does that sound plausible and more realistic? lol

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
It would be Theft fo Property by law actually. There were many laws governing the lives of slaves and their escaping.

Do a Google about slave law.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
Yes, Bill taking the slave was theft at that time.
Yes, Bill's bf and the bf's buds are likely to get away with beating the crap out of everybody.
Yes, Bill has no idea how to pick a best friend.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Could you be more specific in your time period and location? Because you're dealing with the American Revolution in the 1700's. Prior to that, the USA didn't exist, they were British colonies, subject to British Law. I don't know off the top of my head if there's much difference in the laws regarding slaves during this time period but the people living in the US prior to the Revolution (and even during the Revolution) considered themselves to be British citizens.

Also, in the 1700's, places like Louisiana and Florida were not part of the USA, even after the Revolution. That's part of the Louisiana purchase which took place in Jefferson's Presidency. IIRC, if a slave fleeing from the British Colonies made it safely to Spanish Florida, they could be freed if they pledged their loyalty to Spain and converted to Catholicism. You might want to look into that.