Not open for further replies.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Has anyone tried out Amazon's kindle? Or use other electronic reading devices? If so, how do you think that this will change the publishing industry?

I admit I think there's something romantic about a book that I can hold. On the other hand, I've been using my laptop for more reading these days - partly because I've been traveling extensively and it's easy now, with wireless or with downloads, simply to go to a site and read Sherlock Holmes or War and Peace. Less heavy than carrying around a book - and it saves a tree, too.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I prefer the Sony ereader. But neither of them are the breakthrough device that will replace the book as we know it. I still read paper books the most, on my laptop quite often and use the readers only occassionally (on planes etc).

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I have a Kindle. Love, love, love it. It's easy to use and I can carry tons of books in the little device. I like it better than reading on a laptop (for recreational reading) because it isn't backlit and I don't have to wait for it too boot up. Very convenient traveling for work. Most notable downsides are the DRM on the files and lack of complete backlist. I'm a pulp fiction reader and still find I'm ordering paper copies because I can't get the e-version (yet).

I think these devices will accelerate mainstream adoption of ebooks, like the ipod did for music, but I don't see print books going away any time soon.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I bought a friend's e-book. I chose .pdf because I already had Acrobat Reader.

Call me a luddite, but I found the experience anoying as he!!. I felt like I was working OT rather than relaxing with a novel.

Give me a physical book any day.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The new crop of ebook readers (Kindle, SONY, etc.) are far superior than the old ones and laptops -- they use e-Ink, which has no back light, and is easy on the eye. They're also small, about the size of a paperback. But they can hold thousands of books.

Drawbacks: the actual screen is small, about the size of a large PDA. The buttons on the Kindle are poorly located. The keypads are silly and the dial type controls are clunky. The PDF to AZW conversation isn't all that elegant.

Pros: e-Ink is fantastic to read. Instant download and Internet access are great. Battery life is wonderful. Lightweight. Durable (yes, you can actually take it to the beach).

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Interesting responses. OK, so e-books will be more acceptable. Will this affect, however, what makes a story interesting to a reader? Or acceptable to a publisher? For example, if books are electronically produced, then is length not so relevant? Or is reading a long book on the Kindle more tiring for a reader?

What about other bells and whistles? I understand that the Kindle is very plain - just text -but will this change? Audio, for example. Or color illustrations. Or - what else?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using an electronic reading device right now, it's a Dell 21" Trinitron(r) CRT monitor. It's not very lightweight or portable, though, and it takes a good bit of electricity.

The 1600x1200 resolution I get still isn't as good as a printed book page, but it's good - it's the best display resolution I've seen outside of a cinema. A portable reading device with this much resolution, and weighing about the same as a thick MMPB, would be a Good Thing.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Sheldon ran a series on the Kindle. This fairly well sums up my opinion. Except, as an addendum, I feel as though the future is:

Leatherbound Edition Released 50 Years After Author Dies: 90 bucks
Hardcover Editor Released before anything else: 30 bucks
Softcover book released when the publishing house thinks the sales on hardbacks are done: 12 bucks
Electronic Version to try to hit everyone who didn't buy the paper, and with extra features (Making of, Behind the Scenes, Commentary, to try to get the people who bought the other versions.): > 3 bucks

sd080414.gif

sd080415.gif

sd080416.gif

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I like the idea of "making of, commentary, appendix, etc."

Me too. When I love a book, I'm always interested in hearing the author yap about it--never in person, though. In-Character Blogs, and things like the Girl Genius Twitter, fascinate me to no end.

Status
Not open for further replies.