Another agent etiquette question

Dr. Musgrave

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I currently have a book proposal in the hands of a prominent agent for a memoir I wrote. In the meantime, I have written a children's picture book geared towards 4-6 year old children. I am now beginning the search for an agent.

My question is whether or not I should submit it to the agent who has my proposal for the entirely different project. I would prefer to, as I would rather only have one agent (if I am so lucky for him to take me on). However, it doesn't say he does children's books on agentquery.com. Contrarily to that, I've read that he doesn't stick to any specific genres but takes on whatever he likes in the moment.

Would it appear somewhat aloof to submit a dramatic medical memoir and a cutesy children's book? If he decided to represent me for the memoir, would he be offended I didn't give him first shot at my other work?

Thanks for your help,

Dr. Musgrave

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
I'd say wait and see what he does about your memoir. Then ask. He'll probably not be interested in the picture book ( it's a horrible market, sales are terribly low, agents usually hate to rep in it) but if he does want to rep you on the memoir, then it'll better to ask him first how he's like you to handle to picture book ( I have three written. My agent told me to wait with them until my YA/adult books took off. Then she'd consider wether or not it was worth putting them out)

relenat

Registered
Reaction score
I had that exact conversation after the agent offered representation - 'though not right away, but when I was ready to say yes to his offer. I just wanted him to know that I had that other side (in which I was yet unpublished) before I signed. The agent was only interested in adult, so encouraged me to seek a children's agent. It might be best to have only one, but I think it is not unusual to have two, and my agent made a lot of sense suggesting that. It wasn't an area where he has expertise, etc.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't set the stage for what could become a very ugly situation. Imagine, if you sign with an agent and then ask that agent if s/he represents children's books, and s/he says "no," and goes on to ask you what you plan do with your children's book. What do you tell the agent? "I'm going to look for another agent who represents children's books" -- for a number of reasons I don't think that's a wise thing to do. For example, the agent may be counting on your complete devotion and participation in the adult project, and not want to be concerned with your other works and the demands of another agent. Also, the contract with the first agent could be based on the right of first refusal on any and all works you produce.

At this very early stage I believe you should let your adult work lead the way.

Dr. Musgrave

Registered
Reaction score
Very good advice, everyone. I do see what you mean, scope. My only apprehension is the lagging time frame in the publishing industry. It could take years, if it happens at all, to publish the picture book. That's why I would like to begin the process for each of my works as they are completed.

Having said that, I think for now I will let the adult work "lead the way" to prevent a mess.

Anyone else agree, disagree?