Any novels where the main protag is a plumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Seriously.

Plumbers are rare enough in fiction and film, and whenever they do make a sporadic appearance, they tend to be either comic relief or else serve as fleeting stock characters, often with no name, who do little more than supply information (like one of the many walk-on-walk-off witnesses who might get questioned by the cops during the first fifteen minutes of any given episode of Law & Order).

I recall a friend telling me (second hand, so I have no link as proof) that she read some survey (I think in a women's magazine) where the sole question was asking only women which "male" professions they considered to be the sexiest. Carpenters came in at #1, and plumbers were somewhere near the bottom. So I guess that in our culture, when women think of plumbers, the think of Ed Norton from The Honeymooners. And in the same vein, if anyone here can recall the series finale of Cheers, the character of Rebecca (Kirtstie Alley), who spent her whole (six?) seasons on the show trying to snag the ultimate trophy husband (i.e. rich, powerful, handsome, prestigious, went to the right school, belongs to the right contry club, etc) wound up marrying a plumber, and her marriage choice was heavilly played up as a sort of a humbling karmic come-uppance as payback for her many years of snobbishly and self-righteously aspiring for only "the best." And then of course there's the famous expression "plumber's crack."

So ... plumbers evidently are NOT considered to be good candidates for tall dark and handsome.

Meanwhile, I have been TRYING to find an example on the internet of a plumber who is a hero in either literature and film, and I'm striking out big time.

Anybody?????

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The first thing I think of for plumber heroes is Super Mario Brothers. Mostly a series of computer games, but also a film. I enjoyed the film, even if the rest of the world hates it. If a film has sentient fungi, I'm there.

Last edited:

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Um, Super Mario Brothers?

The guy from Desperate Housewives (who turned out maybe to not to be a plumber)?

Schneider from One Day at a Time?

I guess those aren't novels. OK, not very helpful, eh?

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Ahh... but the woman marrying the plumber gets the last laugh - she's driving the Mercedes. :D

My husband's a pipefitter - which is a close cousin to the plumber - and even he is quick to point out that a fitter puts his ass where a plumber puts his face.

Fitters are also hawt. They wear hard hats and do a lot of cool stuff... And they usually have enough knowledge that they can do the plumbing stuff around the house.

John Paton

carn the mighty hawks !!
Registered
Reaction score
the sporting capital of the world. Oh! That's Melb
"Live and let drip"

an early novel by Ian Fleming before he turned to the spy genre.

Nope - nothing here. I think plumbers are kewl and the perform very important work but I spose they just aren't sexy enough for mainstream.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay,

Polenth, I totally forgot about Mario Bros. (And I think your avatar is currently sporting some fugi--is it sentient??)

mikeland, I don't watch Desperate Housewives. But please tell me: was that plumber sexy or comic relief?

Jersye Chick, that is such awesome info. (Would you --as a person knowledgeable on plumbing-- be willing to read just a chunk of my first two chapters?? I posted them over in the SYW sub-forum of SF/F.)

John Paton, ha!

Last edited:

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the plumber is the love interest for Teri Hatcher's character. I think he still is, though we stopped watching after season two. Definitely not comic relief. I think the character's name is Mike Delfino.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
must be a Watergate novel out there somewhere

welders are sexy, especially if they are girls and dance

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'll take a look - do you want to me run by Jersey Guy if terms and equipment sound okay? He's really the expert - my eyes tend to glaze over when he gets going sometimes ;)

I'd love it if you read it. :)

And ... Jersey Guy??? Wow! I'd be flattered if he read it too --especially for making sure I got my technical stuff down right. (And in all honesty, I pulled most of the "plumber jargon" completely out of my butt! So he will probably see loads of stupid errors on my part!)

But ... my ONLY reservation about Jersey Guy reading me is that I'd feel bad if it turns out he never reads your stuff but is willing to read mine.

PLEASE tell me he reads your stuff!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
That's okay - the only thing of mine he's read is my Samhain book - and that's because I told him he had to in order to be my second pair of eyes. :D I write romance, so his eyes tend to glaze over at that ;)

I just wanted to make sure it was ok - it might take a day or two, but I'll let you know what he thinks.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
That's okay - the only thing of mine he's read is my Samhain book - and that's because I told him he had to in order to be my second pair of eyes. :D I write romance, so his eyes tend to glaze over at that ;)

I just wanted to make sure it was ok - it might take a day or two, but I'll let you know what he thinks.

Groovey! :cool:

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
How about Harry Tuttle in Brazil? He's billed as a "repairman" but he does plumbing and he is a badass.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
mikeland, I don't watch Desperate Housewives. But please tell me: was that plumber sexy or comic relief?

ha!

Mike Delfino is definitely sexy.

See:

0000037890_20070220115453.jpg

Yeah, (sigh) he's sexy.

The actor, BTW, is James Denton.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great... now I have the theme music for 'Super Mario Brothers' stuck in my head....

And a horrible visual of Dennis Hopper in his worst role/make-up EVER.

:)

PS: I think plumber's are great. They're handy, they set their own schedule (which you, the customer, are beholden to) and at the risk of bad punnage - who else would you call to get you out of hot (or cold) water? :D

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
How about the two guys from TAPS, who do the Ghosthunters show? They're both plumbers and kind of sexy in a step aside, we'll take care of this, every man kind of way. Watching them touring a huge insane asylum in the dark banging pipes and debunking, they've got to be the coolest plumbers alive.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Indirectly, the main character of "Lest Darkness Fall" (I think) dabbled in plumbing. After being slingshotted back in time to ancient rome, he tries to teach them how to make copper pipes so that people stop dying of lead poisoning.

Aside from that, all I can think of is Mario and Luigi.

Also, the non-character from Pipedream.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
How about the two guys from TAPS, who do the Ghosthunters show? They're both plumbers and kind of sexy in a step aside, we'll take care of this, every man kind of way. Watching them touring a huge insane asylum in the dark banging pipes and debunking, they've got to be the coolest plumbers alive.

Well, in my humble little opinion, Jason is hot, hot, hot....but Grant is just a real nice guy!!!!!

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
yep, Jason & Grant from Ghost Hunters.
Not fiction, but very entertaining to see two ordinary working class joes doing the ghost-buster thing. You always cheer for them!
They'd be great fictional characters too.... strong, authentic, compasionate, straight-talking guys.
And they are plumbers!!! There's an eye-brow lifting factor to that (especially now, that they are so big on TV).

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is one of the funniest movies I have seen. Kenny is a Waste Management expert.

http://www.kennythemovie.com/

Great website too.

JJ
I haven't seen this yet, but I am very keen to. The actor, an unknown, won the Australian equivalent of the Oscar, over some big-name actors, for his performance.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
My protag is a janitor with a mental disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.