PDA

View Full Version : And the rejections just keep coming!

Tburger
05-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Actually, I forgot that I even queried this agent (I removed his/her name - see below), so I was surpised to receive this. It's probably the nicest one I've gotten and it was clearly not form - my query included the first ten pages of my book. I would definitely submit to this agent again!

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to read and consider
SUBTERRENE. Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be the right agent for your
work, as hard/military SF tends to be an occasional indulgence rather than
a primary area of focus for me (even when it's great). However, I do think
you've got a strong query letter and what looks like an interesting novel,
and I encourage you to continue to submit elsewhere. Thanks again for
thinking of me.

Karen Duvall
05-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Very nice, Tburger.

dawinsor
05-18-2008, 02:41 PM
That sure doesn't sound like a form letter. It's good to know that someone who does this for a living thinks your letter is strong.

soleary
05-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Hang in there! It only takes one. Keep the keyboard tappin'!

Saundra Julian
05-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Very encouraging reply!

Tburger
05-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone. I still have one partial out, but I've already reached the end of my query list for agents who I know work with books like mine. I thought this one did too but I guess not. There are more sci-fi agents out there, but none with clients in the military sci-fi subgenre. So I've begun the process of quietly placing my novel to the side, working on my second one, and trying to get a bunch of shorts published. My hope is that if I can get one or two short stories in a decent mag, it might help when I query these remaining non-military sci-fi agents. What was that line in the Blue's Brothers about a wish sandwich? :)

MelancholyMan
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Yup.

Phaeal
05-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Very nice "rejection" letter, TC. I'd take the agent's advice and query SubTerrene some more, leaving out the stress on "military," but hey, that's just me. If I'm going to torture a few agents, I might as well torture 'em all. ;)

Good to read you're working on Novel Two and the shorts. Onward, as ever!

xiaotien
05-22-2008, 09:56 PM
good luck, burger! keep querying!!

/bootay shake!