PDA

View Full Version : Your Empty Shelf: A Writer's Reality Check.

JAlpha
04-08-2005, 08:27 PM
In 1995, after several years of longing to have my work published, I cleared an entire shelf on one of my bookcases. Then I printed up a little sign and taped it on the edge of the shelf . . . this space reserved for my published work. Within six months, I started submitting my work on a regular basis--which was soon to be followed by having my work published on a fairly steady basis!

There's nothing like a visual reminder to help achieve your writing goals:whip:

JAlpha

KTC
04-08-2005, 10:59 PM
That is such a great idea. Would make you want to work harded to fill the empty space too! Maybe I should try that. I'm so lazy when it comes to submitting.

Kudra
04-09-2005, 07:02 PM
I did something very similar when I was starting out a couple of years ago. I'd just bought a new bookcase for my office, and it has about 6 different compartments. While I'd filled most of them, I left one empty. My best friend's parents had been visiting that day and they asked me, "Why's that one empty," and with a smug grin, I told them, "Oh, that's a place for all my published work."

Well guess what? Now I have three of those compartments dedicated to my published work. :snoopy:

Melina
04-10-2005, 12:44 PM
What a great idea! I'll have to try that.

Melina

Galoot
04-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Pfft. You babies and your little shelves. I have an empty 80Gig hard drive!

alanna
04-12-2005, 01:50 AM
i have one problem. my bookshelves- i just donated 10 bags of books to good will (it was heartbreaking), and yet...well...they still don't fit all my books. how can i clear away more? i hurts to think about it! i think, instead, i shall keep a folder. in my desk. that holds my published work...only problem is that its not so blatantly taunting...::shrug:: oh well, i'll figure it out. great suggestion though!

JAlpha
04-12-2005, 02:07 AM
Alana,

If you are squeezed for more book shelf space, I have a variation on my original idea. One of the writers in my crit group had the same problem, She reserved a space for her writing on the same shelf where she kept books by her favorite authors. She stuck a small teddy bear, that she calls "Hemmingway", in the slot where she now keeps a folder with some of her published stories.

You are right though, reserving a space for your published work, just doesn't work as well if you can't see the void on a regular basis.

JAlpha

ShadowGuide
04-12-2005, 04:50 AM
You are right though, reserving a space for your published work, just doesn't work as well if you can't see the void on a regular basis.

JAlpha

I hope it works better than my skinny girl jeans and lacy undies I have hanging on the front of my closet for 10 months now! LOL! I haven't lost a darned pound!

But seriously,
I LIKE this idea. I really, really like it.
Thanks for sharing it. :Sun:

alanna
04-12-2005, 04:52 AM
JAlpha-

that's a great idea...except that most books by my favorite authors are in various states of re-read and strewn throughout my house and in various bags...but i like the teddy bear idea! hmm...maybe i can hang a sheet on the wall that lists all of my publications...hang it on the wall near my comupter...surrounded by some of my favorite quotes... for instance- "A writer is one who writes." "Well-behaved women rarely make history."

you know. that sort of bumper-sticker schmeal that always makes me want to get up off my big fat buttocks and do something.

<<<has a whole supply of ready-to-use bumper sticker statements that she loves. :o

JenNipps
04-12-2005, 07:03 AM
In 1995, after several years of longing to have my work published, I cleared an entire shelf on one of my bookcases. Then I printed up a little sign and taped it on the edge of the shelf . . . this space reserved for my published work. Within six months, I started submitting my work on a regular basis--which was soon to be followed by having my work published on a fairly steady basis!

I love that idea! I need to do some housecleaning, then I may use that idea too.