PDA

View Full Version : When do you hit the mute button?

Upbeat
05-17-2008, 06:05 AM
...the second I hear the loud grating voice of Billy May, or is it Mays, doing a commercial.

CDarklock
05-17-2008, 06:10 AM
Hey! I like Billy Mays.

Joycecwilliams
05-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Hey! I like Billy Mays.

I like him too....

I am a sick person.....

Upbeat
05-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Hey! I like Billy Mays.

So!!! You're why they keep him on the air!

Mandy-Jane
05-17-2008, 06:38 AM
I've been trying the mute button for years but I still keep hearing my kids.

Joycecwilliams
05-17-2008, 06:43 AM
http://www.patagoniafinance.com/uploaded_images/billymays.jpg

Upbeat
05-17-2008, 06:43 AM
I like him too....

I am a sick person.....

Apparently you have plenty of company!

Jersey Chick
05-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Billy May(s) LIES! OxyClean never took all those bloodstains....um... I...er... did I say that out loud? ;)

Upbeat
05-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I've been trying the mute button for years but I still keep hearing my kids.

Puleeze let us know if you find a mute button that mutes kids!

Joycecwilliams
05-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Billy May(s) LIES! OxyClean never took all those bloodstains....um... I...er... did I say that out loud? ;)

LOL... Tide is good for taking out blood stains..

Don't you think if you have blood stains.... you have way bigger problems than dirty laundry?????

Joycecwilliams
05-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Puleeze let us know if you find a mute button that mutes kids!

I want one that mutes my bosses... all of them

Upbeat
05-17-2008, 06:57 AM

Never mind OxyClean - Have you tried baking soda?
Might work (?) If so, Billy Mays could be banned forever.

Jersey Chick
05-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I never said they were in the laundry...

someone, i need help hiding these $^#@ bodies!

Upbeat
05-17-2008, 07:03 AM
I want one that mutes my bosses... all of them

...never heard of a mute button for that.
Have you tried earplugs?
(Directions: Install then smile while not listening.)

Matera the Mad
05-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Or just pull the plug and chuck the box? I don't know who TF this Mays dork is and I'm perfectly happy that way.

Danger Jane
05-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Unfortunately I would not know about many diseases if I "chucked the box". And then I could die from them.

I only mute for Mays.

Joycecwilliams
05-17-2008, 08:18 AM
I never said they were in the laundry...

So if they aren't in the laundry.... don't worry about it... :)

someone, i need help hiding these $^#@ bodies!

Maybe Billy Mays can help you... he looks like he's big.. :) Can't you just hear him now???

Hi! I'm Billy Mays...

You know how hard it is to get rid of those dead bodies... well now there is a solution.
Mortician Bags. Each bag has a name of a real mortuary.... all you need to do is zip it up over the body... and leave it anywhere...
Call today... and you'll get not 1, not 2, but 3 sets of mortuary bags... and if that's not enough... call with in the next ten minutes and I'll haul them away for you...

Susie
05-17-2008, 08:21 AM
As soon as I see and hear any commercial coming on and especially Billy Mays. He sux! :)

Izunya
05-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I'm another, "Mute all commercials unless they look really funny," person. And since commercials in general annoy me (especially during Doctor Who, which isn't always written to be easily cut-able) it takes a pretty amusing commercial to make me turn the TV back up.

So far, the mute button entirely fails to work on any of the family dogs.

Izunya

mscelina
05-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Billy Mays makes me want to saw my wrists off with rusty tin can tops.

I don't mute the SOB--I change the channel.

kct webber
05-17-2008, 02:21 PM
I hate Billy Mays and wish I could kick him in the neck. I've actually hurt myself diving for the remote to mute that SOB. But then, I mute all commercials. ALL OF THEM! DIE COMMERCIALS!

soleary
05-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I mute W. His voice drives me nuts. I also mute politicians in general, as I can't stand listening to the same old same old banter when there are real problems in the country and world that need our attention. I'll be throwing the cyber party when this election is OVER.

soleary
05-17-2008, 03:59 PM
I also had to mute an entire audio book once. It was by ex GE head Jack Welch. His dentures were loose, and it caused him to slur like he had been hanging in the Drunk Thread. He had great points to make, but I couldn't get past the dentures ...

zahra
05-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Colleagues asking me things and telling me stuff. They pause expectantly, I say, "I dunno, I stopped listening quite a while ago." Inner mute button, we salute thee.

Might sound cruel, but, man, you have not heard my colleagues when they're going good.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-18-2008, 01:53 AM
All commercials. When Mays comes on, I wish I had two TVs going so I could mute him twice.

Anything that's frenetically trying to get my attention.

Anything that's accentuated by heavy metal music.

Anything that's annoying.

We don't watch much TV.

DWSTXS
05-18-2008, 02:25 AM
I wish that someone would carjack, and then pistolwhip that stinkin irritating couple in the Sonic commercials.

I mute almost ALL car commercials.

I've never heard of Billy Mays, thankfully.

Upbeat
05-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately I would not know about many diseases if I "chucked the box". And then I could die from them.

I only mute for Mays.

Good! You've eradicated one disease.

EriRae
05-18-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't have extended cable...I don't know who this Mays guy is.

When we used to watch racing, I muted the announcers. All of them.

I often mute Joe Buck when watching football. I don't know what game he's calling, but he's not watching the same game I am. John Madden...can he even see the field any more? He hasn't been watching the field for a good ten years. Mute, mute, mute.

mario_c
05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
And now you have to mute commercials on the internet, like when I watch clips on MSNBC. I had to mute a commercial in a cab in the city! Where will it end? Hey advertisers, here's a hint: the more you advertise, the worse your product actually is.
Outside of advertising, I have to mute whenever I see Hillary making a speech. Especially when she tries to sound ROUSING towards the end of the speech, milking the same tired phrases about AMERICA and FREEDOM and her voice becomes really LOUD and THREATENING. I think of some third world dictator every time (and no, I am not a Republican). Anyone else irritated by that?

Silver King
05-19-2008, 01:59 AM
I was reminded today why I hardly ever go to a movie theater anymore. After paying nearly forty dollars for tickets, my guests and I were subjected to three lengthy automobile commercials and one that was hawking cell phones.

I don't mind viewing movie trailers for upcoming films, but I draw the line at being forced to sit through ads when I've paid to watch a film. On the way out of the theater, I complained to the manager. I was nice about it but made clear if I want to see commercials, I'll stay home and watch television at no cost to me.

He seemed understanding and said, "Can I offer you two free passes to return and watch a movie of your choice?"

"No, thanks," I said and walked out.

I really think today is the last time I'll ever visit a movie theater.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-19-2008, 02:16 AM
I'm printing out you post, SK, and taking it to my boss... who thinks advertising at the movies would be a super idea.

Silver King
05-19-2008, 02:48 AM
I'm printing out your post, SK, and taking it to my boss... who thinks advertising at the movies would be a super idea.
It might be okay for a local venture, say a restaurant, that wants to advertise alongside other still images such as soda and popcorn sales you see scroll across the screen prior to the start of a film. When the lights go down, however, that's when the ads should stop. But they don't, and some are dressed to appear like movie trailers until the end, when you hear, "Visit an Acura dealer in your area to test drive our latest models."

If Acura is helping to offset the costs of screening certain films, why wasn't I offered a discount on my ticket purchase? Better yet, why wasn't the movie shown for free?

Pretty soon, advertisers will be emboldened enough to interrupt films on the silver screen to hawk their wares, just like on television, unless enough people complain about the practice of showing commercials prior to a film's screening.

I'm done complaining, though, and simply won't attend movie theaters anymore. I'll continue to pay for premium cable channels that offer quality choices while still respecting the buyer who pays for such services without dragging in corporate sponsors to make even more money at my expense.

BenPanced
05-19-2008, 03:01 AM
I don't have extended cable...I don't know who this Mays guy is.
THIS IS BILLY MAYS!

(You may want to turn down your computer speakers for this.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dvzgLXa-dI&feature=related

I hit the mute button for every commercial. I figure if I can't follow along with the closed captioning or the on-screen titles, I'm hopeless.