WWYD re: sick kid

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I'm not sure what to do here... My son (age 10) was sick most of last week - I think he missed three days of school last week. It was very definitely a cold with the stuffy nose and all that so we just let it run its course. Over the weekend he started feeling a bit better and we thought it was done.

But then last night he woke up in the middle of night and puked all over. This morning he said he felt better, so he went to school - but the nurse called at noon saying he was puking again. He took a four-hour nap this afternoon and woke up puking once again.

Part of me says this isn't related to his cold/flu from last week since he was better for four days, but another part of me says it's related and it's been going on too long - time to get him to the doc.

What do you think? It's now Friday evening so we would have to take him to an urgent care center if we took him.

So - take him in tonight? Go to the urgent care center tomorrow? Wait until Monday and if he's still sick then take him in? What do you think the chances are that the two are related?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vomiting = bad. Sometimes it = very very bad.

That's worth an urgent care fee to find out. And don't let them poo-poo you and send you home. Be your kid's advocate. Bloodwork is prolly a minimum. Fluids are important too.

Good luck.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From medline plus: Most of the time, nausea and vomiting do not require urgent medical attention. However, if the symptoms continue for days, they are severe, or you cannot keep down any food or fluids, you may have a more serious condition.
Dehydration is the main concern with most vomiting. How fast you become dehydrated depends on your size, frequency of vomiting, and whether you also have diarrhea.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
My other son is on his way to the store to buy some Sprite right now - Davy thinks he may be able to keep Sprite down. We'll try that and see how long it lasts.

This is very strange - this son is NEVER sick! I don't think he ever missed a day of school before ever. And now in 4th grade he's missed about 10 or so.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you want to try plain water at this point. Sprite would be good if he felt nauseous but hadn't vomited tons already. Either way, go with the water first. I'll find a reference... one sec

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like Sprite would be acceptable:

When trying to control nausea:

* Drink clear or ice-cold drinks.
* Eat light, bland foods (such as saltine crackers or plain bread).
* Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods.
* Eat slowly and eat smaller, more frequent meals.
* Do not mix hot and cold foods.
* Drink beverages slowly.
* Avoid activity after eating.
* Avoid brushing your teeth after eating.
* Choose foods from all the food groups as you can tolerate them to get adequate nutrition.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just trying to help:

Treatment for vomiting (regardless of age or cause) includes drinking gradually larger amounts of clear liquids, avoiding solid food until the vomiting episode has passed, resting and temporarily discontinuing all oral medications, which can irritate the stomach and make vomiting worse.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. Oh and Gatorade is a good choice. Slowly.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do here... My son (age 10) was sick most of last week - I think he missed three days of school last week. It was very definitely a cold with the stuffy nose and all that so we just let it run its course. Over the weekend he started feeling a bit better and we thought it was done.

But then last night he woke up in the middle of night and puked all over. This morning he said he felt better, so he went to school - but the nurse called at noon saying he was puking again. He took a four-hour nap this afternoon and woke up puking once again.

Part of me says this isn't related to his cold/flu from last week since he was better for four days, but another part of me says it's related and it's been going on too long - time to get him to the doc.

What do you think? It's now Friday evening so we would have to take him to an urgent care center if we took him.

So - take him in tonight? Go to the urgent care center tomorrow? Wait until Monday and if he's still sick then take him in? What do you think the chances are that the two are related?

I think the chances are very likely related...
I have raised 4 kids... and am raising my grandchildren... now...

My grandson had something like that earlier this year...
He was sick... then better, sent him to school then they sent him home... it lasted 2 1/2 weeks...

You didn't say how your son was feeling... Does he have a temp?
I would watch the temp... if it gets high take him in... if not make sure he is comfortable and don't give him anything to eat or drink after he has puked for at least 2 hours and then give him water...

Any rashes and/or fever take him in... other.... just make sure he is as comfortable as he can be...

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
This happens to my mom all the time - she gets any sort of bug, it runs its course, and then her stomach goes all loopy for a few days. My daughter's the same way.

Just make sure he doesn't have any abdominal pain - either widespread or localized. Especially if he is running a fever.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Thanks Joyce. He doesn't have a fever at all - that makes me think he might have gotten some food poisoning somehow. I think I've decided I will not take him in tonight, but may do so tomorrow depending on how he's feeling at that time.

I was really sick a month or so ago - sicker than a dog for nearly three weeks. I wonder if he has what I had, but is exhibiting slightly different symptoms.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, is there any difference in charges between urgent care on a Friday night and waiting til Saturday? If your kid thinks he might sleep it off again, and is okay now, then I could see wanting to wait. Otherwise you might just be putting off the inevitable.

So yeah, stats on your kid if you want:
-Temperature?
-Dehydrated?
-Headache?
-Holding down that water?

:)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, nvm, I posted too slow. And you answered my other question as to his up and about status...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, the sit-by-the-bucket approach. I hope he sleeps well and recovers quickly.

Cheers,
Christina

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
You're wonderful - thanks for the help. He's at least sitting up now watching a movie - that's a big improvement over all afternoon.

You are most welcome. I never take my kids to the doctor.. unless it's an emergency...

1. High Fever

2. Pain in chest

3. Unknown rash

4. Severe Cut

5. Sore thoat that doesn't go away.

6. Bad fall... or something similar...

I've been having some anxiety myself this weekend... two of my dogs have canine influenza which is bad... but one of my dogs already has respirtory problems... Yesterday she could not walk without coughing and gagging.. I had to carry her outside to go to the bathroom... She is better tonight...

Cthulhu

Prince of Slumberland
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as a tried-and-true survivor of the Childhood Sickness Conspiracy, I would say that unless your son is still sick in another day or two (not just "residually sick", either, legitimately puking type sick), he'll be fine just recuperating at home on the couch.

My mom was like Joyce, so I spent many sick days lying on the couch with a bucket on the floor. It's good practice for your son to not overreact with just a minor stomach bug, either, which this sounds like. With the weather warming up, now, it definitely seems to be sickness season. I woke up out of nowhere with an absolutely terrible cold this morning, and I know a ton of people in my school who have something similar.

Just keep an eye on him and his fever as he seems to be getting better. If he's keeping water down for quite a while, I'd suggest giving him some toast with cinnamon and sugar and butter. It's my personal favorite post-sickness introduction to food, and with a minor amount of creaminess (with the butter and all), it's a good test for if there's still anything screwing around in my gut.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I think I'm the world's biggest "don't-go-to-the-doctor-unless-it's-life-or-death" person so never go in unless it's pretty bad. That being said, we are taking off in three weeks to ride our bikes from Alaska to ARgentina, so I don't want to sit on this for too long. If he needs help, it's better to get it earlier rather than later at this point!

The last time this kid went to the doctor was while we were cycling in Mexico last year and he nearly broke his wrist - wore a cast for two weeks that time. The time before he went over his handlebars and injured his pancreas - ended up in the hospital for four days. Hope we don't have to go again...

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as a tried-and-true survivor of the Childhood Sickness Conspiracy, I would say that unless your son is still sick in another day or two (not just "residually sick", either, legitimately puking type sick), he'll be fine just recuperating at home on the couch.

My mom was like Joyce, so I spent many sick days lying on the couch with a bucket on the floor. It's good practice for your son to not overreact with just a minor stomach bug, either, which this sounds like. With the weather warming up, now, it definitely seems to be sickness season. I woke up out of nowhere with an absolutely terrible cold this morning, and I know a ton of people in my school who have something similar.

Just keep an eye on him and his fever as he seems to be getting better. If he's keeping water down for quite a while, I'd suggest giving him some toast with cinnamon and sugar and butter. It's my personal favorite post-sickness introduction to food, and with a minor amount of creaminess (with the butter and all), it's a good test for if there's still anything screwing around in my gut.

Here is a scary thought. Maybe I am your mom... :)