• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Omni-limited POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, in the book I'm writing, there are scenes where characters come and go from it, so I can't really have a character's third-party POV. Is it okay to just write like you're a director behind a camera? Using body language and facials to get across the characters emotions?

I ask because I've written a scene like this, and people always take it as head-hopping / POV switching, but I felt I wasn't actually IN anybody's head / POV to do so.

I must be doing it wrong. Are any of you able to give advice. Thanks :)

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Nothing wrong with that, if you are really staying out. There might be some clues that you aren't reading the same way as your critters that make it look like you are dipping in. Can't see it from here ;)

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
I've double- and triple-checked for head-dipping. Maybe I'm confusing people because I start the scene with a character, so one assumes that's the POV?

Knowing people can be sticklers for head-hopping keeps me on my toes (I"m grateful)

LOL, I guess you're saying I should've posted the scene? This has been revamped a little to make sure there's no dipping... I wonder if I've caught it.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102826

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
If you write in omniscient, there needs to be a some kind of transition between the viewpoints. The transition is pretty subtle, but done right, no one notices the shift (unless they're reading for it). If you don't make the transition, it'll end up feeling like head hopping because the transition is too abrupt.

If you're dipping from one viewpoint and then going into another, first go back up to camera view, then dip into the next viewpoint. You can also make the transition over a subject. I've seen a line of dialogue from the previous character, and the switch made in the context of that dialogue in the next paragraph.

Take a look at some authors who write in omniscient and study their transitions. I just finished Vince Flynn's Consent to Kill, and he slides from one person's thoughts into another in the first chapter. You have to read it carefully to catch the switch. I've also heard that Bernard Cornwell is a master of omniscient, so I'm going to check one of his books out.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Okay, in the book I'm writing, there are scenes where characters come and go from it, so I can't really have a character's third-party POV. Is it okay to just write like you're a director behind a camera? Using body language and facials to get across the characters emotions?

I ask because I've written a scene like this, and people always take it as head-hopping / POV switching, but I felt I wasn't actually IN anybody's head / POV to do so.

I must be doing it wrong. Are any of you able to give advice. Thanks :)

It's fine. It's actually called 3rd limited objective/camera. Everything is shown -- body language, etc. You don't get inside their heads at all (no thoughts, feelings, filtering, etc.) That's why it's called "objective" or "camera."

It's very difficult to do well though. Part of the great thing about novels (written) is that we can get direct insight into the characters' mind. Movies can't do that (except voice-overs) but they benefit from the visual elements, and the actors' ability to convey emotions. Such are more difficult to do with descriptions alone, and it taxes on the readers' imagination. However, if done well, it can be very vivid and exciting as well.

Read this further: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_narrative

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.