After the Fall--Arthur Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
1st--if I'm in the wrong place--move me, pls.

2nd--Does anyone have this play? I'm specifically looking for the passage 20 line or so soliloquey, something like:

One day you faint because the gardener has cut off his finger, the next you're climbing over bodies in the subway.
I had a dream last night. I dreamt that my life was an idiot child and it was trying to climb into my lap.
--ends with I embraced the child or something--

thank you in advance, rep points and good karma in exchange :}

otterman

Word Voyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Holga is speaking to Quentin. The passage begins three lines into her speech. Here it is (including stage directions):

One day you faint because the gardener cut his finger off, within a week you're climbing over the corpses of children bombed in a subway. What hope can there be if that is so? I tried to die near the end of the war. She rises, moves up the stair toward the tower. The same dream returned each night until I dared not go to sleep and grew quite ill. I dreamed I had a child, and even in the dream I saw it was my life, and it was an idiot, and I ran away. But it always crept onto my lap again, clutched at my clothes. Until I thought, if I could kiss it, whatever in it was my own, perhaps I could sleep. And I bent to its broken face, and it was horrible...but I kissed it. I think one must finally take one's life in one's arms, Quenton. Come, they play The Magic Flute tonight. You like The Magic Flute?

She exits from beneath the tower on the upper level.

Status
Not open for further replies.