• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Two Quick Questions - line edit vs. critique / SASE vs. S.A.S.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
One that I feel a little embarassed about.

What, exactly, is a line edit and how does it differ from a critique? I'm under the impression that a line is, essentially, a line by line edit of the work looking for basic issues with the writing's spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. Is that relatively close?

Another and pretty irrelevant, why is is "an" SASE instead of "a" SASE? I came across a blog post on Miss Snark's blog and she says "it just makes sense." Well, I'm not seeing the logic there. SASE is short for "self-addessed stamped envelope." You don't ask for an self-addressed stamped envelope. You ask for a self-addressed stamped envelope. So why is it "an" in its acronym form? Every time I say it, it sounds forced. Anyone?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Your line edit definition sounds right.

Although SASE looks like an acronym and by golly ought to be, it's still pronounced letter by letter, S.A.S.E. (by everyone I talk to, anyway) hence "an" before the "ess"

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the SASE question debated before. The thing is that some people pronounce it as "say-ze" (mentally, even if they're just reading it) and some people think of it as individual letters.

Which is "officially" right? I don't know.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If you think of it as "an ess-ay-ess-ee" then use "an". If you think of it as "a say-zee" then use "a".

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
You asked how line editing differs from a critique. Obviously you do know what line editing is. A critique is not editing. It is a reading of the work and providing feedback about it. A professional critique should let you know about the strengths and weaknesses of a piece of writing and an estimation (opinion) of its market potential. It can provide suggestions for improvement, and one of these might be, "This piece needs editing."

The critique and the edit are two different ways of looking at your writing. One takes a global view of the story, while the other is a nit-picking perusal of the writing.

I hope this helps.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure I knew what line editing was but just needed some clarification. And perhaps I should have just used "edit" instead of critique since I've done critiques before and I know what they are.

I've always pronounces SASE as "sassy" but I can see how it would be an if you actually say out the letters but how cumbersome is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.