• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

POV cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
Question:

The climax for a novel I'm planning is "city wide," with main and secondary characters spread out. I have no use for their POVs for the first three-quarters of the novel, but would like to use them during the climax to give it a larger scope, seeing as my MC can't be all over the city at once.

Is that cheating? Do I need to establish them as POVs to the reader early on? I'm worried they might go "Wait, I thought the other guy was telling the story!" when it plops down into someone else's POV near the end.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it cheating to drop into a character's POV who the reader has seen before. I think the Uncle Jim thread addresses this as one reason to have solid secondary characters. You can use them for POV characters at need. Just make sure the reader understands quickly whose eyes we're seeing through.

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I was just worried that dropping into someones eyes when we've been with "Bill" for 200 pages might be jarring.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I personally would find it jarring...but I'm kind of a POV-control-freak myself. (I use TONS of different POVs in my stories, but I like to hope there's a sort of order to it...)

Would there be any way to insert smaller scenes somewhere earlier in the story, told from the POV of the non-POV characters you mention? This could establish that the story will occasionally be seen through their eyes. To just suddenly switch POV to a character whose mind has been closed off for the first 3/4 of a work is...well, jarring, for lack of a better word. Perhaps if their POV showed up sooner--even halfway through the book--it wouldn't be so sudden. But to switch to a non-POV character when the book is almost over seems almost like a writing device or contrivance of some sort.

Another option would be some sort of omniscient POV for the citywide scene, but again, IMO it would have to be established earlier in the work that this POV would be possible.

That's just my opinion though, obviously others won't necessarily agree.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you use a line space as you would do for a change of scene, changing POV shouldn't be a prolem.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll answer this as a reader:

I love multi-POV stories. Perhaps I'm nosy, or I get bored of most MCs, but I like to see in other people's thoughts too.

I wouldn't even mind if the new POVs came near the end of the book so long as I know the characters beforehand. I think for the most part, we as writers know the POV laws and get irked because of this.

Multi POVs are just confusing to get into in the beginning of a book. But they're still an enjoyable read :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think as long as your POVs are clear (and not headhopping like crazy) it should be fine. Just because 3/4 of the novel is limited to one or two POVs doesn't mean it has to stay that way.

If it works...

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar situation. In the middle of my story I wanted to suddenly show secondary characters' POV.
What I was wondering, whether in this case or between just two MC POVs, how short can each scene be? Can it make the reader dizzy to read two paragraphs of one POV then switch to another for another 2-3 paragraphs and then switch again?

Status
Not open for further replies.