Status
Not open for further replies.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Am I nuts?
Some time ago I’ve written a non-fiction (it dealt with the demise and resurrection of Eastern Block Intelligence Agencies). I’ve composed a succinct letter and sent it out, only to receive the nice, form rejections. One day, I put on paper a piece of ‘garbage’, the ramblings of my frustration, and behold, within a week there were four agents fighting over it. What criteria of selection did they use?
BUT HOLD ON, FOR I’M NOT OVER YET!
I also have two novels, and sent to agents nice, well conceived, queries. Got a few nibbles, mainly from small or shady agencies. A few weeks ago, during an attack of the ‘blues’, pissed and half drunk, I penned down an aberration. It didn’t upheld any query standards, in flamboyant and bombastic, one paragraph each, I told not about the stories but of unrelated things. To make matters worst, I attached a lengthy (500 words) ‘sample’, something that has nothing to do with my stories. Sent that out to six agents, and regretted it next morning, when sober I reread it. Got four submission requests, two from ‘big’ name agencies.
HOW COME? WHAT IS WORKING AND WHY?
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS.

Festus

No limits to imagination
Registered
Reaction score
Pilot,

Damned if I know! But I think I'm gonna get drunk before I write my next query letter!

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

You want my guess?

My guess is that it's not WHAT you say to these people, it's how you say it. I would wager that agents and publishers don't even READ half of the submissions they receive based on the query letters they get.

I would say that your "abberations" were well written and caused them to want to read your submission, whereas your "nice" query letters were boring and more of the same shit they get everyday.

That's just a guess though, and not in any way a professional opinion.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
You're complaining about getting offers of work you did when drunk and rambling??

You are nuts.

Seriously, you're probably coming off as some kind of fun eccentric that would be totally marketable in a high concept kind of way...Like Einstein meets Dirty Harry.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Because when you follow most of the perscriptavist "advice" you get about agents and queries, you are viewed as a herd animal. What you did is shock them into realizing that you were different, a cut above, a thoroughbred in a paddock filled with sheep. You told them that you are independent and exciting, a dangerous man, a good guy to take on a "mission," not a timid, frightened, mired in rules novice writer. (Though doing these things while intoxicated is a good idea you should proof-read them the next day in case you are prone to Tourette's [sp] syndrome).

I actually have not much understood the whole idea being foisted around that query letters have to follow some specific format. That makes absolutely no sense to me as a query letter is a sales pitch, not a job application. Your trying to show how different you are, not how similar to writing that is already out there.

Anyway that is my guess. By the way, congratulations.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Dear ............

A few days ago I purchased a book, titled Literary Agents.
It was instructive enough, on how to approach an agent, and the sprinkle of humor made it so much more enjoyable. Upon completion, I've decided to drop you an e-mail and propose a deal. Read this query, and if you'll find it interesting ask for some chapters.
Who knows,… you may like them and decide to represent me.
I have two spy/action novels, the kind of stories Tom Clancy has been so successful with.

The first, The Smart Way, is a finished, 140,000 words narration of human uncertainties and penetrates not only the obvious mystery but also the profound soul of the Russian enigma, as American military attaché, Col. Mark Anderson, is overtly playing double-cross Russian roulette with the masters of the game; the Kremlin's new oligarchy and Washington's old political aristocracy.

The second, One Hundred Hours, (currently at 100,000) will end up as a 120,000+ words, action packed depiction of CIA, SAS and MOSAD attempts to get rid of Saddam, culminating with the most incredible, last ditch, assassination plot by two 'over the hill', Ex-operatives, who have exactly one hundred hours to accomplish what their masters couldn't, or wouldn't.

Both novels bring together actual procedures and authentic locations with factual characters and events, for a blend of color and veracity.
Both charge the reader's imagination with an acceptance of the unbelievable truth and doubt the obvious of reality.

For exemplification, of my writing, you'll find below, the opening paragraph of the first chapter from The Smart Way. I wish you an enjoyable reading.

Respectfully yours,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the actual query, as you can see, there even are some grammar problems, more so in the 'sample'.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It is a mystery.

Sometimes people can edit correspondence so much that it becomes impenetrable.

To be honest, though, I'm surprised that that letter resulted in any requests for material. Errors in punctuation and grammar (and, as you acknowledge, that letter has several) generally put people off.

BUT I GUESS YOU CAN'T ARGUE WITH SUCCESS! Hooray, Pilot! Keep us posted on your progress.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
My surprise comes more from the ‘caliber’ of agents who requested it (four as of today).
You are abhorred by the query? You should have read the “sample’. It’s got nothing to do with the story, just some insane rambling about agents and publishers.
Did I mention that I was half drunk when writing it?

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
It's a poor query letter, and you pitched an unfinished novel (which is generally a no-no)...but maybe the agents were interested in your suggestion of "actual" places and events. People with real-world knowledge -- especially of global intrigue -- are enticing to agents and always have been. Those kinds of books sell extraordinarily well at airports to businessmen looking for a three-hour read. It's a huge reading demographic, so you're tapping into something that's likely interesting to agents here.

Good luck with it.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Let the truth be known. It’s a ‘garbage’ query letter, and to make it worst, the ‘sample’ stinks.
I’ve sent before, and after, a number of queries which comply with the ‘format’…. Got a few nibble from medium size agents.
This ‘garbage’ got a 50% response rate (I’m talking only about those who’re asking for the manuscript).
Again, I’ve written ‘this’ query in a moment of ‘piss and vinegar’, when I was half drunk. But maybe, when they’ve read it, the agents were plastered.
My initial question was,… based on what criteria?
They’ve turned down good queries and accepted ‘this’.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Who knows why this query worked?

I don't think the answer is for other people to write incoherent, unprofessional queries with mispunctuations and typographical errors, though.

Are you someone whose past professional experience in arenas other than is particularly unusual or interesting? (I say this because of your comment about having sold a non-fiction book about intelligence agencies in another thread.) That may be the key--people may be so interested in what kind of novel a {person with your professional background} writes that they're willing to overlook issues in the query, figuring that the strength of your personal and professional experience will outweigh those issues (after all, editors can fix people's grammar, spelling, and punctuation, but they can't give someone a fascinating career history).

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Dear NUTS:

It's impossible for me to respond intelligently without seeing the query that worked as well as one of yours that did not.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You is one lucky nut.

Congratz. (I might have to take up drinking.)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
This thread is almost as good as all the 100 word stories over in the SYW Horror Forum. I'm just waiting for the twist ending now.

And yes celina, methinks so too....

Last edited:

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Am I nuts?
Some time ago I’ve written a non-fiction (it dealt with the demise and resurrection of Eastern Block Intelligence Agencies).

The second, One Hundred Hours, (currently at 100,000) will end up as a 120,000+ words, action packed depiction of CIA, SAS and MOSAD attempts to get rid of Saddam, culminating with the most incredible, last ditch, assassination plot by two 'over the hill', Ex-operatives, who have exactly one hundred hours to accomplish what their masters couldn't, or wouldn't.

Okay Pilot. This has been bugging me for a bit. If you have written a non-fiction account on Intelligence Agencies, I assume you have an extensive knowledge of said agencies. Why is it that every time you have posted about MOSSAD, you spell it MOSAD. I know there is probably a reasonable excuse and only a spelling error - just bugging me that's all.

And I notice this one is not finished now. Yet I'm sure on other threads you have started you have said it was completed. I may be mistaken again though.

JJ

Last edited:

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Believe me JJ I do know how to spell MOSSAD,…. But, if you’ll take the time, to carefully read the posting, you may notice that, at the time of writing I was,… well, let’s say, not fully in control of all my faculties (do in part to some good Moldavian vine).
You may see that I called that query ‘a full of mistakes piece of garbage’.
I went, per your invitation’ to your blog and, congrats.
For someone who dabbles into these kind of stories your attention spam is not what’s out to be.

Grossack, the one which ‘worked’ is posted six positions down from the top. The one respecting the standards, the ‘clean cut’ version is below.

And JJ, before you notice and bring it to my attention, or you may not see it and then, for your info. The KGB had vanished by the time of this story (new agencies have replaced it), but KGB is most easy to identify (while FSB, SVR and CSR mean nothing to most,… same for GRU).

Dear Mr. John Doe,

Peter Armstrong’s trip to Arlington confirms Colonel Mark Anderson is properly buried. He feels no remorse for killing him.

The Colonel brought it upon himself when he’d played Russian Roulette with the masters of the game, the CIA and the KGB.
As the US military attaché to Moscow, Anderson passed sensitive information to the Russians, and when he stumbled across unauthorized arms transactions to al-Qaida, he gave the KGB the scoop.
In post cold-war Russia, torn by intense fighting for political dominance, his double-cross offers the Russian President a trump card against his political foes and the American administration.

When Anderson starts selling top Russian military secrets to Washington, and attempts to blackmail the Russian President, he goes too far.
Anderson thought he knew what he was doing, but his double-crossing game caught up with him, at the end. He survived prior assassination attempts, only to fall victim to Peter’s plan, conceived to appease both Russians and Americans alike.
The staging of the Colonel’s death had been a masterfully orchestrated operation.

Peter Armstrong wasn’t too unhappy to miss the ticker tape parade the CIA promised him. Otherwise, the Russians might have realized Peter Armstrong was the Colonel, who had been operating under the direction of the CIA all the time.

Russian Roulette is a 130,000 words spy/thriller, set in the early ‘90s.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
OK, I think the first one worked because you spoke to the agents as if they were human beings. You touched them. You were also, obviously, a real person. The latter, clean-cut version feels too formulaic.

Does that help?

I am finding out, more and more, that some rules were meant to be broken (even those regarding agents, those holies of holies). Some day I may even post all the rules that I'm breaking and how it's working. Not something, however, that I will do today...

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
*sigh*

I wouldn't be so convinced that you're full of it, pilot, if you didn't post these queries over and over and over again.

And by the way, what in the heck is J.J.'s attention spam? And how is it not what out's to be? What does that mean????

It occurs to me that you're insulting him because he's questioning the disparity between some of your threads.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Well Grossack, you may be right. If I were an agent, I most definitely won’t be impressed by a dry formula query, and just maybe (in today’s overflown market) I’ll be looking for something different.
But still, what I’ve sent, not only breaks the rules, it’s a no-no; tries to sell two novels in one query (one of which is unfinished). And you haven’t seen the ‘attachment’. It’s long, over 500 words, got nothing to do with the stories I’m trying to peddle, and it’s a grammatical horror.

OK Celina, substitute ‘span’ for ‘spam’…. But you know something, ‘spam’ may work just fine.
And yes, I’ve posted… The ‘dry formula’ is the result of trying hard to come up with what experts are saying that will work.
The one in question was posted to show that actually ‘anything’ may work… If you’re lucky enough.

pilot27407

Sockpuppet
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
And Celina, ‘what does that mean?”… sorry, have omitted some of your question marks.
For your information (and that of ‘others’)… The Institute for Intelligence and Special Operations was created in ’48, and as ' Central Institute for Coordination' a year later.
In ’52 its first Director, Rueven Shiloah, changed the translation acronym MOSAD into MOSSAD (as there were some companies and products using MOSAD).
There was no insult intended… JJ is a nice and partially informed guy, who brought the ‘misspelling’ to my attention three times.
When someone declares that he wrote something under the influence, and freely admits that’s full of mistakes, I guess, one attentioning is enough.
But then again, maybe I'm an idiot and need it three times.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
When someone, however, continually reminds us that he wrote something under the influence and it was terrible but wildly successful...well, then alarm bells start ringing.

Status
Not open for further replies.