Description of broken bone - does this sound right?

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
I've been lucky enough never to have a broken leg, so I'm not sure if I'm describing it adequately. The character has just fallen in the woods.

"[FONT=&quot]Pain shot up his leg, a sharp pain of torn muscles and then a numbness, perhaps a sign of broken bone."[/FONT]

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I have it on good authority, from my roomate, that you hear the bone snap, simultaneous with the pain.

His thoughts as he landed were "So that's what it sounds like" He's also a ski patroller - we frequently have patients tell us "I heard it break when I landed".

The breaking bone actually saves the ligaments and muscles from damage ... something has to give, and sometimes it's the bone.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've broken several bones and each time it wasn't "perhaps a sign of broken bone" it was

Aaaaaah! Broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

The one time I broke something and didn't know it immediately was when I rolled an ankle. I was blinding pain for a minute and then it faded to a dull ache. I was able to walk on it and I assumed it was just sprained, not really broken. Heh. I was wrong.

ETA: Cross posted with Tsu, and yes, for almost all the bones, I heard the break as well as felt it.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
How about if I change it to "Pain shot up his leg, and he heard the snap of bone"? Does that sound closer? It also takes the muscles out of the equation.

The last time I broke my leg, I heard the snap (too light, more like a crack)..no question..then there's the simulataneous, gut-wrenching pain, and like soccer mom says, it sort of weakens after a minute or two. But it's a trick. A little while later, trying to put weight on the limb is equal to having a gnome with a chainsaw inside your leg. It's a shooting pain, all right, but it doesn't "shoot." That sounds too slow. It "fires" like a canon, following the line right up to your hip. No weight, the pain lessens. Weight, it grabs you again. Trust me. I'm an expert at breaking things. I haven't done it lately *she stops to knock wood* but I have done it often, especially since the strokes. I break fingers, wrists, collar bones, etc. I've learned HOW to fall now, but I remember those times when I tried to catch myself.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The last time I broke my leg, I heard the snap (too light, more like a crack)..no question..then there's the simulataneous, gut-wrenching pain, and like soccer mom says, it sort of weakens after a minute or two. But it's a trick. A little while later, trying to put weight on the limb is equal to having a gnome with a chainsaw inside your leg. It's a shooting pain, all right, but it doesn't "shoot." That sounds too slow. It "fires" like a canon, following the line right up to your hip. No weight, the pain lessens. Weight, it grabs you again. Trust me. I'm an expert at breaking things. I haven't done it lately *she stops to knock wood* but I have done it often, especially since the strokes. I break fingers, wrists, collar bones, etc. I've learned HOW to fall now, but I remember those times when I tried to catch myself.

First; My sympathies.:Hug2:

Second; I totally agree with your description. I've had broken arms, legs and fingers and a severely severed foot. The only thing I don't recognize is the sound. I've never heard a sound...

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
First; My sympathies.:Hug2:

Second; I totally agree with your description. I've had broken arms, legs and fingers and a severely severed foot. The only thing I don't recognize is the sound. I've never heard a sound...

Sympathies back at ya! OMG, the foot thing sounds horrible! Is it okay now?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
If the break is acute--bone at an angle it will go through muscle and skin--that ups the nastyness and pain to beyond what was thought possible to survive. If the muscles/skin are intact there's still swelling. Depending on what bone where--if the broken leg bone cut through a major vessel like the femoral artery, internal bleeding could cause unconsciousness, a chance of stroke and death

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
I've only broken fingers and toes and I've never had that numb after feeling. It's all been shooting pain like a continuous burning stabbing. Numbness didn't set in. Ever. Not even with the local anaesthetic the doc used while popping the joints back and realigning the bones. But locals don't work on me. Nor do most pain killers. Anyway...

Yeah, I'd go with the shooting burning cannon description. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Laurie, for strictly humanitarian reasons, I hope alcohol works for you. I can't imagine my aching body without painkillers as needed.

Maryn, old and creaky

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
Definitely a cracking-snapping sound, and pain, but something else, too. It's hard to describe, but when a major bone breaks there's a kind of combination cold-chill electric-shock sensation that goes through your whole body and you just know - "damn, I've done it again!"

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And nausea! I almost forgot that. After a severe break, when the pain recedes you are often in shock. I have felt cold chills and nausea and was close to passing out. It's a weird out-of-body sort of feeling. Very detached.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough never to have a broken leg, so I'm not sure if I'm describing it adequately. The character has just fallen in the woods.

"[FONT=&quot]Pain shot up his leg, a sharp pain of torn muscles and then a numbness, perhaps a sign of broken bone."[/FONT]

I broke my leg riding a bike (my story posted now in MTS has a bit of what I recall).

Mine was actually "shattered" which is called comminuted. It was in dozens of pieces and there was a huge amount of soft tissue damage because it actually twisted around, so I don't think it would be the same sort of a broken bone that your character feels. I have actually heard of people who have broken the fibia, and sometimes it can be mistaken for a badly turned ankle.

The first thing is that there is no "real" pain for maybe a minute, not like you will eventually feel, anyway. You're basically on your butt, trying to figure out why you are on your butt. The sharp pain thing is not totally realistic. It goes numb first, pretty much, until your nerves assess the damage, and then you feel pain. Think "getting hit on the thumb by a hammer." You actually feel nothing at first, then your thumb feels sort of "dead" or "far away," then your thumb feels a thumping pain that goes up your arm. (Try this experiment. Go to the basement and get a hammer...) You immediately loose the ability to lift it in any way. There is no getting up and walking. The only exception is if the small fibula bone is the one that broke, then you can sort of walk, but not really. The pain is exactly like a very severe muscle cramp that will not end, like you might get in your calf, or the arch of your foot. If your leg moves, you can actually feel the razor sharp ends of the bones cutting and grating. The dull muscle cramp feeling throbs. Anytime anyone moves or touches it, the pain comes back. You cannot sleep without drugs unless you "pass out," or are exhausted. When it is in a position of rest, the pain subsides, so you beg the people who are helping you (if any) to leave you alone.

When you break your leg-- you know it. There is no "perhaps."

The sound is very loud, like a gunshot, or a truck backfiring. If you break both bones of the lower arm or leg, you hear double pops. I describe them as wet pops because it is like you would hear if you snapped a carrot in two, only much louder, maybe a little more brittle sounding. For more information go to mybrokenleg.com they have a really good explanation of the pain.

There are also stages to the pain. Within the first 24 hours, a massive amount of fluid goes to the leg in order for the osteoblasts osteoplasts to begin repair. It becomes hot, fever hot, because these cells need that heat to survive. The leg swells to nearly twice its size. They won't even cast it until this initial swelling has gone down. There is a "rush" of blood that you can actually hear in your ears when you sit up. It is like a river. The blood forms a cocoon around the broken part of the leg. This eventually becomes what is called the "soft callus." It is like a mass of blood clots. This becomes a hard callus as the injury site begins to rob calcium from all parts of your body to make raw building materials... There's more. It is quite interesting, but painful.

Last edited:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
When I broke mine, the pain did not shoot up my leg, but was localized to the area. It was an ache, but it hurt like hell unless I elevated my leg and then the pain was managable.

It was at night and I was camping when this happened and it took me two days to get to a hospital. But it was not a compound fracture. I kept it wrapped so it didn't move. I had to wear a cast for eight weeks.

Yes, I did hear a loud snap.

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
With a compound fracture, you would hear it and know it. With a spiral fracture, you wouldn't hear it and you might not know it was a break. I have been lucky enough to never have broken a bone (toes cracked in ballet do not count, they break as a matter of course and no one will set them), but my son was able to walk on his leg after he broke it. It just hurt severely. Yeah, we cursed the gym teacher, the school nurse, the principal, etc. and then took him to the hospital for x-rays. If your character had that sort of fracture, he could bind it tightly, and continue on for short distances until he found help. It would be awful, but doable.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Would the bruise appear within, say, half an hour? If my character lies in the woods waiting for help for an hour or two (or maybe more), when do you think he would notice the bruise?

Swelling and bruising starts almost immediately. That's one of the things we look for in wounded skiers, and it shows up by the time they reach the aid station.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Broken arm?

I may as well ask my question within this thread also.
My character is going to fall from a short ladder and land on her arm. I want it to be a pretty simple break. The most simple break she could experience , yet, still have a break.
Questions...
What would you call a simple break?

How would she feel immediately after it breaks? I've read through this post and the linked post, and see a wide range of feelings after various broken bones. Is there anything specific to a minor broken arm?

She will have a neighbor drive her to emergency room. What will take place once she arrives, specific to her broken arm? Xrays? Cast? Permanant cast? Temporary cast? How long does the "casting" take?

Will she be released to go home as soon as she is in the cast? I assume she will be on pain killers for a few days?

How long will she have to wear the cast?

Any help would be much appreciated.