PDA

View Full Version : A fish almost killed me today.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:07 AM
You have to understand we are big critter lovers. Once we had to wait till a huge wood spider delivered her babies, to use the front door--every night she would spin the most intricate, beautiful web--it covered both front doors. After a few months hubby found Charlotte on the ground, shrivled up. He got a matchbox and we had a formal ceremony, buried her in the garden.

Painting and cleaning gutters cease until baby birds who take up residence on her house leave.

Daughs fish had been sick. ....never had any luck with goldfish. Darn. Today, found her fishy floating upright--eyes wide open. Wanted to spare her. Took sweet fishy with his bowl of water out to garden. Dug. Stood, wiped my hands and picked up dead fishy in bowl. Getting ready to tilt fishy out of bowl, and FISHY.JUMPS. RIGHT. OUT. OF. BOWL. Swear to goodness. RIGHT. OUT.

I fell backwards, glass bowl went flying. I almost broke my neck.

Your day?

Yeshanu
05-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Kimmi, one of the reasons you might not have had any luck with goldfish is that you keep them in bowls. Goldfish need a big tank with lots of aeration, because they grow to become big fish. I have two of them, and they reside in a tank that would hold twenty guppies. And despite the green scum on the side of the tank (I really must clean it tonight!) they're thriving. And growing.

CACTUSWENDY
05-16-2008, 05:12 AM
See, the voodoo is already at work.

Now...what is in the barn?

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 05:16 AM
See, the voodoo is already at work.

Now...what is in the barn?
Exactly.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:18 AM
Exactly.
Careful Jean-Marie, Wendy the barn holds secret powers...

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Kimmi, one of the reasons you might not have had any luck with goldfish is that you keep them in bowls. Goldfish need a big tank with lots of aeration, because they grow to become big fish. I have two of them, and they reside in a tank that would hold twenty guppies. And despite the green scum on the side of the tank (I really must clean it tonight!) they're thriving. And growing.
I'm done with fish--but my newt is doing fine in gold-fish bowl--8 years old my baby is!

Perks
05-16-2008, 05:21 AM
I had to catch a Pleco nearly a foot long a couple of weeks ago. I finally got rid of my tank and a local restaurant wanted him as janitor for their koi pond. My net wasn't big enough. It was very scary.

reigningcatsndogs
05-16-2008, 05:22 AM
I'll spare you the details of my critter encounter today, Kimmi, since it has almost already killed two threads here!

BIG FRIGGING BULLSNAKE AT MY BACKDOOR! :eek:

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:24 AM
I had to catch a Pleco nearly a foot long a couple of weeks ago. I finally got rid of my tank and a local restaurant wanted him as janitor for their koi pond. My net wasn't big enough. It was very scary.
Those are so cool!

brokenfingers
05-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, your fish isn't named Lazarus, is it?

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:25 AM
I'll spare you the details of my critter encounter today, Kimmi, since it has almost already killed two threads here!

BIG FRIGGING BULLSNAKE AT MY BACKDOOR! :eek:
snapper--crapper. I'm gonna die out at my farm--there are moccassions and rattlers..Oh, I forgot..EEEKS! Do they have snake repellent?

Spelling is outta whack tonight--please excuse--I'm being lazy!

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:27 AM
Just out of curiosity, your fish isn't named Lazarus, is it?
Rising Sun... close enough?

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Careful Jean-Marie, Wendy the barn holds secret powers...
Did you name the barn after the spider or the fish. Just wondering.

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Ah, Wendy the Rising Sun.

Cute.

Soccer Mom
05-16-2008, 05:29 AM
I have the world's oldest goldfish. 3 years last october. This was a free carnival goldfish. He's as long as my hand.

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 05:32 AM
My betta's don't last too long. They get flushed, does that make me bad?

I had one that lasted 3 years.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:35 AM
I have the world's oldest goldfish. 3 years last october. This was a free carnival goldfish. He's as long as my hand.
Wowza. They are pretty...But after the attack on me today--no more gold fish for ME family!! I'm gonna have wet dreams tonight.

Ahh, snap. I bet SK catches that... :tongue

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:36 AM
My betta's don't last too long. They get flushed, does that make me bad?

I had one that lasted 3 years.
I always turn the lights on when I tinkle at night just for that reason, JM. Don't want something biting my hiney. :D

Soccer Mom
05-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Wowza. They are pretty...But after the attck on me today--no more gold fish for ME family!! I'm gonna have wet dreams tonight.

:ROFL: I"m biting my tongue right now.

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 05:37 AM
Wowza. They are pretty...But after the attck on me today--no more gold fish for ME family!! I'm gonna have wet dreams tonight.

'Course he'll catch it, he's a fisherman. He'll reel it in and use it as bait for later :D

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 05:41 AM
I always turn the lights on when I tinkle at night just for that reason, JM. Don't want something biting my hiney. :D
Oh gawd, I've had nightmares about that one...the circling gator in the bowl...

Little Red Barn
'Course he'll catch it, he's a fisherman. He'll reel it in and use it as bait for later :D
:D bet he doesn't. :tongue

Little Red Barn
water snakes...EEEPS the worst...

Silver King
05-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Holy crap-o-moon-doe. I thought someone was blaming me, again, for their near-death experience.

Thank goodness I'm innocent of the charges this time. :)

Haggis
05-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Kimmi, I think your lake's on fire. I'm just sayin'.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Holy crap-o-moon-doe. I thought someone was blaming me, again, for their near-death experience.

:D, we're all having wet dreams tonight, come on in. And it's all Jean-Marie's fault!

ETA> I mean Dawno, excuse me.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Haggis you've had this OCD going on now for three weeks about the barn and fire... now the lake.

Leash the pup up, time for a trip to the vet... here poochy--here poochy poochy poo.

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 05:52 AM

It is your fault.

Then, pee on it, dammit.

:D, we're all having wet dreams tonight, come on in. And it's all Jean-Marie's fault!

ETA> I mean Dawno, excuse me.
Yeah, get your blame facts straight.

Thank you.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 05:57 AM
It is your fault.

Then, pee on it, dammit.

Yeah, get your blame facts straight.

Thank you.
Actually your fault JM. I mean you had these issues with dawnette, first.

Neeerer nEEERer neerer all JM's fault and she just made Haggis tinkle!

StephanieFox
05-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Hey! Heads up. Goldfish are carp. Carp! And carp are big fish.

Silver King
05-16-2008, 06:00 AM
You mean it's not Dawno's fault? I thought we could blame her for everything and anything. Lord knows she has broad shoulders to sustain the weight of it all.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 06:06 AM
You mean it's not Dawno's fault? I thought we could blame her for everything and anything. Lord knows she has broad shoulders to sustain the weight of it all.
Of course it's Dawno fault...we might as well put it in our sig lines."It's Dawnos Fault, Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow!"

Now wet dreams with sparklies...

Hmm, I feel sparlkies coming on--maybe we better be quiet lest Dawno turns us all sparkly and pink.. :D
Shhhshh

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 06:12 AM
I think you just forgot to flush. Again. Thus the recurrance of these dreams about floating circles.

Tell me, how long have these been going on..the non-flush--the circle gator dreams...?

Williebee
05-16-2008, 06:16 AM
I almost choked to death on a goldfish once. Those little orange cracker things are dangerous. Sing with me now:

"The snack that fights back, Goldfish!"

Yeshanu
05-16-2008, 06:20 AM
I think you just forgot to flush. Again. Thus the recurrance of these dreams about floating circles.

Goldfish. Flush.

Hmm...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h190/Yeshanu/fishnflush.jpg

Here, Kimmi. This should do ya. And if the goldfish die, you don't have far to go...

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Goldfish. Flush.

Hmm...

Here, Kimmi. This should do ya. And if the goldfish die, you don't have far to go...
Whoa, you want me to tinkle in THAT? It'll cause me nightmares. Wet! :tongue

Komnena
05-16-2008, 07:07 AM
I just hope I don't have opossums drop in this summer.

Southern_girl29
05-16-2008, 07:28 AM
I had a bad animal experience today, too. This little puppy ran out in front of me, and I put on my brakes to avoid it. My back-end fish tailed (It rained today), I went off in the grass, turned 180degrees and wound up in the parking lot across the street. I was really lucky, too, that I didn't get hit, as it was a major intersection. Luckily, the puppy is fine. Someone who stopped to see about me decided to take him and get him out of the rain. I think my heart stopped for a while.

ErylRavenwell
05-16-2008, 07:42 AM
You have to understand we are big critter lovers. Once we had to wait till a huge wood spider delivered her babies, to use the front door--every night she would spin the most intricate, beautiful web--it covered both front doors.

There's nothing more beautiful in the world than a large, bright-coloured spider web. Usually spiders that spin webs are not venomous and do the greatest good by preying on pests.

Bartholomew
05-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Goldfish are basically the cockroach of fresh water. If you can't keep them alive, you're doing something VERY VERY wrong. What sort of filter do you use? Is it clean?

Appalachian Writer
05-16-2008, 08:33 AM
There's nothing more beautiful in the world than a large, bright-coloured spider web. Usually spiders that spin webs are not venomous and do the greatest good by preying on pests.

It's HOW they prey on pests that bothers me. I can appreciate the intricate web, but it's purpose.....the things that nightmares are made of! I just usually squish the darn things!

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 09:46 AM

This time... only....

ErylRavenwell
05-16-2008, 09:56 AM
It's HOW they prey on pests that bothers me. I can appreciate the intricate web, but it's purpose.....the things that nightmares are made of! I just usually squish the darn things!

Its purpose is to trap that fly which would have laid its eggs on your fruits or that moth carrying offsprings that would have ravaged your beloved flowers...or maybe that mosquito looking forward to take sip of your blood and at the same time injecting some nasty microbes into the bloodstream.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I had a bad animal experience today, too. This little puppy ran out in front of me, and I put on my brakes to avoid it. My back-end fish tailed (It rained today), I went off in the grass, turned 180degrees and wound up in the parking lot across the street. I was really lucky, too, that I didn't get hit, as it was a major intersection. Luckily, the puppy is fine. Someone who stopped to see about me decided to take him and get him out of the rain. I think my heart stopped for a while.
Ohh, sweetie :Hug2:

We got it on video, really neat, we had eight neighbor's kids here practically every night, watching.

Goldfish are basically the cockroach of fresh water. If you can't keep them alive, you're doing something VERY VERY wrong. What sort of filter do you use? Is it clean?
:Shrug:

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Now that I look back--I think this would be a cool way to kill of a mc...., hmm. Fish Tale. And the headlines read...
"Daughs fish had been sick. ....never had any luck with goldfish. Darn. Today, found her fishy floating upright--eyes wide open. Wanted to spare her. Took sweet fishy with his bowl of water out to garden. Dug. Stood, wiped my hands and picked up dead fishy in bowl. Getting ready to tilt fishy out of bowl, and FISHY.JUMPS. RIGHT. OUT. OF. BOWL. Swear to goodness. RIGHT. OUT.

I fell backwards, glass bowl went flying. I almost broke my neck."

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Whoa, you want me to tinkle in THAT? It'll cause me nightmares. Wet! :tongue

Goldfish. Flush.

Hmm...

Flush that sucker. See, that's just weird. It would totally freak me out.

Southern, that had to be one terribly awful experience. Thank God you're alright, and of course the pup, too.

I stop for anything in the road. The other day, a turtle was crossing and traffic in both directions stopped while the guy completed his jaunt. What was interesting, no one minded :)

Yeshanu
05-16-2008, 07:47 PM

:Hug2:

That's better than my experience a few years back. Someone took their dog to the Canada Day fireworks and didn't have the dog on a leash. It took off when the bangs started. As we were driving home, we saw the dog running madly down the middle of the road. I managed to avoid it, but someone else hit it. It kept running. Finally I cornered it and wrapped it in a blanket and had a nearby homeowner call the humane society. They came and got the dog. It had already been reported missing, but I don't know if the dog survived or not, as it would have had internal injuries.

HeronW
05-16-2008, 11:14 PM
We had a goldfish we called MacLaine after Shirley M. & her reincarnation books... I swear that sucker kept coming back to life! Did 3 OOB trips to the rug--the cats ignored her. Put MacLaine back in the water and she's fine!