PDA

View Full Version : At least I'm not shaking anymore...

Yeshanu
05-16-2008, 04:32 AM
So I was driving home from the dry cleaners this evening, and as I'm about to turn onto the street that leads to home, I see a woman run out onto the road and lie down. I drove ahead and honked to alert the oncoming drivers, then turned my car into their path so as to stop traffic (the front cars had already started to stop). She got up off the road and ran away screaming. She had a bottle of pills in her hand. I drove ahead and asked her if she needed help, and she said, "No. I'm all right." (Really?)

Then she ran away again and laid down in a ditch. I booted it home (a couple of minutes away) and called 911.

Then fell into my bed shaking.

I'm going to get a cell phone as soon as I get paid. I really hated having to leave in order to call for help, and the other drivers who saw just went on their way without stopping.

WildScribe
05-16-2008, 04:34 AM
Wow! *hugs* Good for you for at least trying.

Jean Marie
05-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Incredible how many people will drive by someone in obvious need of assistance and do nothing.

Good for you for at least trying to help the poor woman.

Pat~
05-16-2008, 05:14 AM
There are a lot of hurting people out there. It's good to know there are also some who care. (Like you.) :2angel:

Susie
05-16-2008, 05:47 AM
Gee, I sure can understand you're being so shaken up, Yeshanu. You tried to help her and that's what counts. I'm not surprised the others didn't stop. Some folks just don't want to get involved these days. Not good...

Cthulhu
05-16-2008, 06:26 AM
That's a wonderful story, as traumatizing as it is. I'm really glad whenever I hear about people stopping for help, as guilty as I am of just continuing on my way.

Little Red Barn
05-16-2008, 06:28 AM
How scary, sweetie. hugs

DWSTXS
05-16-2008, 07:08 AM
you did the right thing

Southern_girl29
05-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Good for you for doing the right thing. Not everyone would.

melaniehoo
05-16-2008, 07:24 AM
I'm sorry you got caught in the middle of this, but glad you called for help. I have a weird fear that someone will run in front of my car, trying to hurt themselves, but I'll be going t to fast to stop. I'm glad you could.

Yeshanu
05-16-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm sorry you got caught in the middle of this, but glad you called for help. I have a weird fear that someone will run in front of my car, trying to hurt themselves, but I'll be going t to fast to stop. I'm glad you could.

I know what you mean about weird fears like that. It's scarier to actually have it happen.

As for why a lot of people don't stop, I don't think it's callousness as much as they often don't know what to do, and are afraid of doing something wrong.

I just took a first aid course a couple of months ago, and a lot has changed since I last taught the course twenty years ago. The main thing they teach now is that if you're in an area well-serviced by ambulance, fire, and police (and 95% of the time when accidents happen, we are) the main things you have to do are call 911, keep yourself and others calm, and wait for the professionals to arrive.

DWSTXS
05-16-2008, 08:00 PM
last November I drove across a railroad tracks near my apt, and saw a guy laying himself across the tracks. The train was due to come through in about 30 minutes. I drove to the police station a block away and told them, and they went and got the guy.
To this day I don't know if I helped save him, or, because he's still living (I guess) he might be in even more misery.

It makes you think about the repurcussions of your actions. even so-called 'good' actions.

Tink
05-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I've still got a friend because I risked the repercussions of my actions one night a few years ago. She came to my house after having a horrible fight with her husband and she had been drinking. She hands me the keys to her car, her credit cards, her jewelry and a note to give to her four sons and then walks right back out again...no explanations, no nothing, just turns and leaves. I followed her out and she heads right out onto a busy highway that I lived near then and begins to walk in the lane facing oncoming traffic. I tried to talk her off the road, I tried to drag her off the road but she fought me off and started running down the road. I was beside myself. At first I didn't know what to do but 911 came to mind and I did the dialing. Long-story-short...She just attended her youngest sons wedding and is enjoying being Grandma to her grandaughter from her oldest son. She is still my friend!

Shweta
05-17-2008, 12:27 AM
:Hug2:Yeshanu.
I'm glad the world has people like you in it.

HeronW
05-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Damn, many years ago I nearly had an accident avoiding a woman in the road--she'd already had a broken something and I and others used our cars to block the lane she was in. Someone called for help, someone else directed traffic, I brought over a blanket and several of us stayed til the paramedics and police got there.

Some folks need help more than others...

sassandgroove
05-17-2008, 01:07 AM
good for you.

Jcomp
05-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Crazy situation to stumble upon. Echoing other sentiments, good for you for stopping to assist, and good that you're okay as well.

Siddow
05-17-2008, 01:25 AM
In case you never hear it from her, Yeshanu...

Thanks.

benbradley
05-17-2008, 02:27 AM
I know what you mean about weird fears like that. It's scarier to actually have it happen.

As for why a lot of people don't stop, I don't think it's callousness as much as they often don't know what to do, and are afraid of doing something wrong.
I think it's not just that, there's also a real danger that someone who is obviously mentally unstable, intentionally doing something dangerous to try to hurt themselves, could turn on and hurt others who are trying to stop them. For someone in that state of mind there's likely a complete lack of concern for life, including the lives of those around them, so it takes an extra step of bravery (some might say stupidity, but I hesitate to say that when one's motives are good) to jump in. Also, calling 911 and gettting the police/fire/whoever there ASAP is important, because (among other things) they have training for these situations, and know better how to protect themselves while stopping others from hurting themeselves.

last November I drove across a railroad tracks near my apt, and saw a guy laying himself across the tracks. The train was due to come through in about 30 minutes. I drove to the police station a block away and told them, and they went and got the guy.
To this day I don't know if I helped save him, or, because he's still living (I guess) he might be in even more misery.

It makes you think about the repurcussions of your actions. even so-called 'good' actions.
He might well still be in misery, but by saving him you gave him a chance to find some happiness in his life, the chance he would definitely NOT have had if he were dead.

SherryTex
05-17-2008, 04:01 AM
You performed a corporeal act of mercy, helping the sick. Thank goodness it was you.

Matera the Mad
05-17-2008, 08:07 AM
((((((HUG))))))