PDA

View Full Version : Italian Hot Dog

Joycecwilliams
05-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Get your mind out of the gutter.... I hear you all thinking.. :)

Italian hot dogs... are one of the best foods in life. I am surprised at how many people haven't heard of them, let alone tried one. Living in NH I have to make them myself.. but it's easy...

Sliced potatoes, peppers, onions sauteed in pan or cooked in the oven until tender (not crispy) and then put on top of hot dog in a sub roll... It's the best. In NJ they have a special roll for the dog... but a sub roll works just as well.

Google it and see what you come up with...

http://augieland.blogs.com/augie_land/images/italian_hotdog.jpg

Seaclusion
05-15-2008, 11:41 PM
You of all people should know not to put potatoes, peppers and onions on the dog. It gets them all greasy and sticky. Then you have to hose them off.

Richard

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Reminds me of a Chicago-style hot dog, which I also hate. All that glop on there is disgusting.

A proper hot dog should have catsup and/or mustard with maybe sauerkraut and that's it. You should be able to hold it with one hand and still drive. Not worried about things plopping into your lap.

Seaclusion
05-15-2008, 11:52 PM
You should be able to hold it with one hand and still drive.

While talking on the cell phone.

Richard

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
While talking on the cell phone.

Well, bluetooth. Hello!

Seaclusion
05-15-2008, 11:55 PM
then how are you going to comb your hair with that thing in your ear. I mean the rear view mirror won't swing around that far and they guy behind is honking and........

Richard

Siddow
05-15-2008, 11:57 PM
You want a great dog? Go here. (http://www.fiveguys.com/store_locator.aspx) I don't know how they do it, but they make a plain old ketchup dog OUTSTANDING.

Jersey Chick
05-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Mmm.... Italian hot dogs! My mom used to make those when we were kids - one of the only things better is a fried sausage-and-pepper-and-onions from a vendor on the Boardwalk... :D

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:06 AM
You of all people should know not to put potatoes, peppers and onions on the dog. It gets them all greasy and sticky. Then you have to hose them off.

Richard

Well I make my potatoes and peppers and peppers in the oven, I also boil the hot dogs... :)

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Mmm.... Italian hot dogs! My mom used to make those when we were kids - one of the only things better is a fried sausage-and-pepper-and-onions from a vendor on the Boardwalk... :D

Yeah I like those also.... but Italian hot dogs are my favorite... I like them with mustard...

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 12:09 AM
then how are you going to comb your hair with that thing in your ear. I mean the rear view mirror won't swing around that far and they guy behind is honking and........

Richard
I cut my hair short so I wouldn't have to comb it.

Jersey Chick
05-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah I like those also.... but Italian hot dogs are my favorite... I like them with mustard...
So does my mom - she talks about getting them somewhere in Newark when she was kid, and how hers never quite tasted the same. :D

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:11 AM
You want a great dog? Go here. (http://www.fiveguys.com/store_locator.aspx) I don't know how they do it, but they make a plain old ketchup dog OUTSTANDING.

It isn't that I like the grease... I make my potatoes and peppers in the oven and I also use 100% whole wheat sub rolls... and unfortunately Hebrew National 99% fat free all beef dogs... I can't go off the reservation that much.. :(

Gravity
05-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Hebrew National Dog. Grilled, but not burned. Place on a toasted bakery bun. Add brown mustard to taste. Heaven.

Lock thread.

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:17 AM
So does my mom - she talks about getting them somewhere in Newark when she was kid, and how hers never quite tasted the same. :D

Yeah... Newark is where the Italian Hot Dog was born... It's a Jersey thing..

When I was in NJ we stopped and had Marucca's Pizza... Gee I couldn't believe the size of the slice! I miss Jersey food... guess it's good I am in NH or I'd be back to being 25 pounds heavier...

You might like to read the conversations Italian Sausage Sandwiches vs Italian Hot Dogs (http://www.chowhound.com/topics/186041)

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Can I ask why they're called Italian? There is no pasta or spaghetti sauce or pamessan cheese on them.

Shouldn't they just be called Jersey dogs?

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Reminds me of a Chicago-style hot dog, which I also hate. All that glop on there is disgusting.

A proper hot dog should have catsup and/or mustard with maybe sauerkraut and that's it. You should be able to hold it with one hand and still drive. Not worried about things plopping into your lap.

I don't eat and drive.... I can't really enjoy the food, nor can I really concentrate on driving... I'm weird... I know.. ;)

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 12:20 AM
The car thing was a joke. I hope everyone understood that.

Burgers are so much better to drive with.

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Can I ask why they're called Italian? There is no pasta or spaghetti sauce or pamessan cheese on them.

They really aren't over all of Jersey just up north and on the Jersey Shore...

They have green peppers on them... perhaps that makes them italian... :)

tonyrocks922
05-16-2008, 12:36 AM
So many people here like ketchup on their hot dogs! I thought people on this board were smart!

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:39 AM
So many people here like ketchup on their hot dogs! I thought people on this board were smart!

I like mustard... on mine.. am I smart... (PLEASE SAY YES)

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:41 AM
The car thing was a joke. I hope everyone understood that.

Burgers are so much better to drive with.

Hey, I'm blonde but I understood it was a joke... :)

However if you are eating a burger while driving.... don't get a whooper. :)

I think driving down the NJ Parkway eating a 1/2 gallon of melting ice cream in the summer is fun..

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 12:41 AM
They really aren't over all of Jersey just up north and on the Jersey Shore...

They have green peppers on them... perhaps that makes them italian...

Maybe call them Newark dogs then.
We are. Catsup is the best on a dog. Every intelligent person knows that.

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:46 AM
Maybe call them Newark dogs then.
We are. Catsup is the best on a dog. Every intelligent person knows that.

Catsup or Ketchup has more sugar in it than a brownie..

I would rather have a brownie... :)

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Catsup or Ketchup has more sugar in it than a brownie..

I would rather have a brownie... :)Ew. A brownie on your hot dog? That's just sick.

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Ew. A brownie on your hot dog? That's just sick.

LOL.... not on my hot dog... but for dessert with beer.. :)

HeronW
05-16-2008, 12:55 AM
Broil the hotdog, slice it long ways, drop in cheddar chunks & let them melt, top with sauteed onions & mustard--YUM!

TrainofThought
05-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Get your mind out of the gutter.... I hear you all thinking.. :)

Italian hot dogs... are one of the best foods in life. I am surprised at how many people haven't heard of them, let alone tried one. Living in NH I have to make them myself.. but it's easy...

Sliced potatoes, peppers, onions sauteed in pan or cooked in the oven until tender (not crispy) and then put on top of hot dog in a sub roll... It's the best. In NJ they have a special roll for the dog... but a sub roll works just as well.

Google it and see what you come up with...

http://augieland.blogs.com/augie_land/images/italian_hotdog.jpgPotatoes on a bun?

I'll stick with my Chicago Style Hot Dog (ketchup not allowed). Mmmmm....

http://www.normschicagostyledogs.com/images/vdog.jpg

Silver King
05-16-2008, 02:49 AM
I see we have yet another thread that is most worthy of the Cooking forum. :)

Jersey Chick
05-16-2008, 03:01 AM

Who'd eat something called a Jersey dog? They'd be too busy wondering what makes up the special ingredients! :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
05-16-2008, 03:17 AM
Potatoes on a bun?

I'll stick with my Chicago Style Hot Dog (ketchup not allowed). Mmmmm....

http://www.normschicagostyledogs.com/images/vdog.jpg

That's obscene!

I'm goin' to Freddie's... see y'all later! Best Chicago-style hotdogs you can get 'round these parts! YUM!

Joycecwilliams
05-16-2008, 05:37 AM
I see we have yet another thread that is most worthy of the Cooking forum. :)

I don't cook... and never visit the cooking forum...

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Personally, my favorite hot dog of all time was a sheep dog.

Seriously.

Pylsur.

Woof
05-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Personally, my favorite hot dog of all time was a sheep dog.

Seriously.

Pylsur.

A sheep dog? That must either be a very hairy hot dog, a hot dog covered in wool, or a hot dog made of mutton. Either way, it sounds peculiar.

Italian sausages are really good on the barbeque, but you have to be careful when you're biting into them. I broke a tooth once, because there was a stone inside the sausage. I think if we knew what went into hot dogs and sausages, we'd stop eating them. Ignorance is bliss.

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Italian sausages are something else from this discussion. We were talking italian HOT DOG. Which isn't Italian at all. It's Oscar Meyer with a whole bunch of extra unnecessary stuff added to the BUN.

A pylsur is an Icelandic Hot Dog. Sheep is part of the ingredients. Delish. Unfortunately, you have to fly thousands of miles to get one.

And I know EXACTLY what goes into sausages and hot dogs and that's why I KEEP eating them. Yum!