Italian Hot Dog

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Get your mind out of the gutter.... I hear you all thinking.. :)

Italian hot dogs... are one of the best foods in life. I am surprised at how many people haven't heard of them, let alone tried one. Living in NH I have to make them myself.. but it's easy...

Sliced potatoes, peppers, onions sauteed in pan or cooked in the oven until tender (not crispy) and then put on top of hot dog in a sub roll... It's the best. In NJ they have a special roll for the dog... but a sub roll works just as well.

Google it and see what you come up with...

italian_hotdog.jpg

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
You of all people should know not to put potatoes, peppers and onions on the dog. It gets them all greasy and sticky. Then you have to hose them off.

Richard

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Reminds me of a Chicago-style hot dog, which I also hate. All that glop on there is disgusting.

A proper hot dog should have catsup and/or mustard with maybe sauerkraut and that's it. You should be able to hold it with one hand and still drive. Not worried about things plopping into your lap.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
then how are you going to comb your hair with that thing in your ear. I mean the rear view mirror won't swing around that far and they guy behind is honking and........

Richard

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
You want a great dog? Go here. I don't know how they do it, but they make a plain old ketchup dog OUTSTANDING.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
You of all people should know not to put potatoes, peppers and onions on the dog. It gets them all greasy and sticky. Then you have to hose them off.

Richard

Well I make my potatoes and peppers and peppers in the oven, I also boil the hot dogs... :)

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm.... Italian hot dogs! My mom used to make those when we were kids - one of the only things better is a fried sausage-and-pepper-and-onions from a vendor on the Boardwalk... :D

Yeah I like those also.... but Italian hot dogs are my favorite... I like them with mustard...

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
You want a great dog? Go here. I don't know how they do it, but they make a plain old ketchup dog OUTSTANDING.

It isn't that I like the grease... I make my potatoes and peppers in the oven and I also use 100% whole wheat sub rolls... and unfortunately Hebrew National 99% fat free all beef dogs... I can't go off the reservation that much.. :(

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
So does my mom - she talks about getting them somewhere in Newark when she was kid, and how hers never quite tasted the same. :D

Yeah... Newark is where the Italian Hot Dog was born... It's a Jersey thing..

When I was in NJ we stopped and had Marucca's Pizza... Gee I couldn't believe the size of the slice! I miss Jersey food... guess it's good I am in NH or I'd be back to being 25 pounds heavier...

You might like to read the conversations Italian Sausage Sandwiches vs Italian Hot Dogs

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of a Chicago-style hot dog, which I also hate. All that glop on there is disgusting.

A proper hot dog should have catsup and/or mustard with maybe sauerkraut and that's it. You should be able to hold it with one hand and still drive. Not worried about things plopping into your lap.

I don't eat and drive.... I can't really enjoy the food, nor can I really concentrate on driving... I'm weird... I know.. ;)

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Can I ask why they're called Italian? There is no pasta or spaghetti sauce or pamessan cheese on them.

Shouldn't they just be called Jersey dogs?

They really aren't over all of Jersey just up north and on the Jersey Shore...

They have green peppers on them... perhaps that makes them italian... :)

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
The car thing was a joke. I hope everyone understood that.

Burgers are so much better to drive with.

Hey, I'm blonde but I understood it was a joke... :)

However if you are eating a burger while driving.... don't get a whooper. :)

I think driving down the NJ Parkway eating a 1/2 gallon of melting ice cream in the summer is fun..

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
They really aren't over all of Jersey just up north and on the Jersey Shore...

They have green peppers on them... perhaps that makes them italian...

Maybe call them Newark dogs then.
So many people here like ketchup on their hot dogs! I thought people on this board were smart!
We are. Catsup is the best on a dog. Every intelligent person knows that.