PDA

View Full Version : It's called a bookstore!!!

Thump
05-15-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm surfing around on Yahoo answers and suddenly I come up on this question:

Where can teens buy books? if they even can buy them?

i ask this because my parents took away their passwords for amazon from me. i guess it's because i spent 30 bucks on there without asking, but still...

*Thump's soul's tortured screams are drowned by Thump's brain's sobs of despair*

This guy's answer was pretty good :D :

There are these long appendages below you. They are called legs. You may use them to walk to a store which houses books for sale. We refer to this as a "book store".

You may also try to locomote yourself to what is known as a "library". This is a house where books can be looked at and possibly checked out for a period of time.

OMG! This kid didn't even consider once that books could be bought anywhere but on the internet! Terrifying!

tjwriter
05-15-2008, 11:31 PM
I R Scared. Hold me.

Seriously, that's a really scary thought. Online shopping is cool and all that, but nothing beats the bookstore experience.

I love that answer though. Priceless!

James81
05-15-2008, 11:32 PM
I would've said "Oh well, looks like you're screwed. Better luck next time, chump."

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2008, 11:35 PM
but nothing beats the bookstore experience.

Exactly what is that experience?

Staring at row and row after row of books having no clue if any of them are even any good? There are no convenient reviews or rating systems on the shelves. Be nice, but it isn't there.

Thump
05-15-2008, 11:39 PM

Staring at row and row after row of books having no clue if any of them are even any good? There are no convenient reviews or rating systems on the shelves. Be nice, but it isn't there.

It's the smell, and the actual people, and the fact you can grab the books and feel them. It's the colors, and the silence (what other store is silent I ask you?), flirting with the male nerds in the SF section because you're almost always the only female nerd there (woo no competition).

Oh and... no wait! You get your book right there and then!

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2008, 11:42 PM
The smell? It smells like Starbucks. Burnt coffee.

Guess I don't get off feeling up books.

Silence? What bookstore is silent with all the conversation going on in the Starbucks by all the wired patrons?

Flirting? Well, if that happened, I'd be going more often.

Thump
05-15-2008, 11:48 PM
You need to go to a different bookstore my friend :D All those I've been to (even those with a Starbucks) were like a library or a funeral home...
The only time it got noisy was when the Harry Potter books were coming out X-D

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Hmm. Maybe. All the bookstores I've been in have a Starbucks AND a children's area. Best you can hope for is a dull roar.

The ones that don't are too snooty to have any Sci-Fi/Fantasy so there's no sense even going. No cute female nerds to flirt with.

DWSTXS
05-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Quote:
There are these long appendages below you. They are called legs. You may use them to walk to a store which houses books for sale. We refer to this as a "book store".

You may also try to locomote yourself to what is known as a "library". This is a house where books can be looked at and possibly checked out for a period of time.

Sorry Thump, but I can guarantee you that the kid did not 'get it'.

Why?

Easy. Look at the answer.
See the word 'appendages'?

That's the spot where the kid stopped reading. The question marked formed over his noggin.
He scratched said noggin and walked away shaking it side to side. He still has no clue.

I promise.
It's only going to get worse from here on out, folks.

sorry.

Thump
05-15-2008, 11:57 PM
:S I feel for you :D But I've never been in a bookstore without an SF/F section. Weird! How about an independent bookstore in your town? There are some dedicated to SF/F (one of my alternate dreams is owning one :P)

ETA: I answered in a post that stated the same thing in small words :D I couldn't not say anything.

Jersey Chick
05-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Our B&N is quieter than the library - and I could be blindfolded and still know I was there. It smells like coffee (fresh, not burnt), paper, and ink. I loves me our B&N :D

SPMiller
05-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Hmm. Maybe. All the bookstores I've been in have a Starbucks AND a children's area. Best you can hope for is a dull roar.

The ones that don't are too snooty to have any Sci-Fi/Fantasy so there's no sense even going. No cute female nerds to flirt with.Ding ding ding. You are the winner. This is all too true.

And those girls in the coffee shop? Heh, often way too snooty. Good word for them.

Online book shopping is so much better.

Jersey Chick
05-16-2008, 12:01 AM
cyber-nerds ;)

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 12:13 AM
:S I feel for you :D But I've never been in a bookstore without an SF/F section. Weird! How about an independent bookstore in your town? There are some dedicated to SF/F (one of my alternate dreams is owning one :P)

ETA: I answered in a post that stated the same thing in small words :D I couldn't not say anything.
That IS the independent! They're trying to fill the psuedo-intellectual snooty niche.

The only bookstore I attend with any regularity is Half Price and that is because they will sometimes have books by the authors I read. Authors long out of print that no longer appear at B&N.

sassandgroove
05-16-2008, 12:16 AM
We buy from both the book store and amazon. I like going and looking at the books myself, but if I know I want it or it will be significantly cheaper i'll go to amazon. MMM.......coffee...

I wonder what kind of book the kid wanted.

Sass- who married a guy who likes scifi books.

sheadakota
05-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Ding ding ding. You are the winner. This is all too true.

And those girls in the coffee shop? Heh, often way too snooty. Good word for them.

Online book shopping is so much better.
You people have no soul:e2faint:

Thump
05-16-2008, 12:32 AM
word!

Online book buying is so cold!

SPMiller
05-16-2008, 12:35 AM
What the hell? I'm not soulless because I prefer to efficiently find books I enjoy reading. That's terribly offensive. Life is short.

Shadow_Ferret
05-16-2008, 12:44 AM
word!

Online book buying is so cold!I keep my house at a nice temperature.

Bookstores are uncomfortably cold. I think you're confused.

czjaba
05-16-2008, 12:45 AM
LOL -- Sorry gotta laugh at that. You said 'Word'

Number!

Magdalen
05-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Bookstores? Love 'em. E-mails from Amazon.com every 3 or 4 days? Hate 'em. I never thought I'd be annoyed with someone calling my attention to books, but I am. When I see that I've received another Amazon email, I report as spam. Buying a book online is convenient, but to me it is the equivalent of watching a movie at home on a 30'' screen (not really a hardship) instead of a big screen. Buying a book online is like sex with a condom. Buying a book online is like getting a (so called) burger from a drive-thru instead of sitting down in a good Beer 'n Burger joint. Buying a book online (even if they let you read a page or two) is like, like, Okay, I have to say it: it's like having a baby via C-section. Sure you get the goods, but trust me, it is only half the experience!!!

sheadakota
05-16-2008, 12:55 AM
What the hell? I'm not soulless because I prefer to efficiently find books I enjoy reading. That's terribly offensive. Life is short.
Oh, man- I'm sorry- no offense meant- honest! It's hard to convey tone of voice here- I buy both online and brick and mortar- I was just trying to be cute and failed miserably- forgiven?

SPMiller
05-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Oh, man- I'm sorry- no offense meant- honest! It's hard to convey tone of voice here- I buy both online and brick and mortar- I was just trying to be cute and failed miserably- forgiven?It's cool; I've just been really touchy lately. Too much time spent reading inflammatory rhetoric in PC&E.

And to make it clear: yes, forgiven! :)

James81
05-16-2008, 01:19 AM
You people have no soul:e2faint:

You people?

sassandgroove
05-16-2008, 01:23 AM
James she already apologized, sheesh.

brokenfingers
05-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Oh and... no wait! You get your book right there and then!Wow! What bookstore is this? 90% of the time when I've gone to one of the big-chain bookstores, they never have the book I want in stock.

They often only carry the latest releases unless they're best-selling authors and not even then will they often have older books.

Then they say, "Well, you can order it and then pick it up in a few days, Sir"

To which I say, "Hahahaha! How about this: I can stay home in my sweatpants and not waste my gas or time coming here and just order it anyway and guess what? It'll come straight to my door!!! Wooohooo!!"

And there's the fact that I can check reviews, read excerpts, hear comments from people who've enjoyed or hated the book AND get it cheaper.

Yeah, I order my books online.

Thump
05-16-2008, 01:29 AM
I like the prices online but I guess I just need to person experience you know? Even if it's a cranky cashier :D Now that I'm living in Peru, online shopping is becoming more attractive simply because getting books in English here is much harder.

Still, you have to admit it's scary that a teenager would wonder whether teens can buy books without their parents' permission :D It's as if they wanted to buy cigarettes or sex toys or something :)

I guess we should be thankful they're reading at all (or my efforts will have been for naught).

brokenfingers
05-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Hahahaha, that's the first thing I thought when I read the question about where he can buy books. That he conveniently left out a crucial word:

"dirty"

sheadakota
05-16-2008, 02:22 AM
You people?
Annie, is slinking away to hide under a rock somewhere-:flag:

TerzaRima
05-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Barnes and Ignoble gives me a pain. Once I was trying to find a copy of Hamlet there, for my niece's summer reading, but had no luck on the shelves. I asked for it by name at the information desk, and the guy looked at me, clicked a few keys and actually asked, "Author?"

benbradley
05-16-2008, 03:20 AM
I googled and and answered that Yahoo! question, pointing to my blogspot entry on getting books. I can only hope that teen is responsible enough to mail a book within a few days when an order from paperbackswap comes in.

I agree, I'm not soulless because of that either. I'm soulless because I don't believe in the soul.

<wondering how fast this gets moved to TIO...>

Hahahaha, that's the first thing I thought when I read the question about where he can buy books. That he conveniently left out a crucial word:

"dirty"
Thrift stores often have old biology and anatomy textbooks. Perhaps that will even influence his career choice. The world does need more gynecologists, doesn't it...

Now I see the question "can someone give me a title of a short book maybe up to 200 pages?" and I'm so tempted to answer with "Atlas Shrugged."

SPMiller
05-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Now I see the question "can someone give me a title of a short book maybe up to 200 pages?" and I'm so tempted to answer with "Atlas Shrugged."That irritating monolog in it is 200 pages long all by itself ;)

Komnena
05-16-2008, 03:31 AM
I think both online and meatspace stores have their place. Online stores are great for those books you've been hunting for twenty years. Physical bookstores let you look at new authors you might not find online.

Yeshanu
05-16-2008, 04:17 AM

Um, SF? You could always try actually reading a paragraph or two and decide for yourself if a book is any good. Before you buy it.

Isn't that absolutely amazing?? :D