Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not especially dismayed at the rejection I got this week. I aimed high, and the form letter (essentially, "not right for us at this time, best luck placing...") had a handwritten note: “We enjoyed your story and look forward to more from you,” plus a signature I can't read.

It's still a no, but a good no, yes?

Maryn, who'd hoped for a sale

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely a good rejection, especially the part about looking forward to more from you. Miss Snark used to say agents and editors always meant it when they said stuff like that.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Very good. I'd send a little thank you note for the encouraging words. See if you can't decipher the signature by checking the publication's editor list, in mag or on-line.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a goodie to me. Good luck.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Absolutely a good rejection, especially the part about looking forward to more from you. Miss Snark used to say agents and editors always meant it when they said stuff like that.
It makes sense!

Would you waste some of your precious time handwriting something on a form letter which already explains the rejection in polite terms? Especially if it would mean getting more writing you don't like?

Of course not. This sort of encouragement is positive (albeit still a rejection) and I recommend doing exactly as they ask: send them more work.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely good. They wouldn't bother to write you a note if they didn't mean it. Be encouraged and send them something else!

Status
Not open for further replies.