The X-Files...what have I gotten myself into?

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Until 3 weeks ago, I'd never watched (not even 1 minute) of the X-Files.

So, I finally decided that I'd try out an episode. I didn't want to watch them out of order, and I knew that if I liked it, I'd want to watch more, so I went to the store and bought Season 1 on DVD.

Now, 2 weeks later, I'm hooked, and I've already watched all of season 1, bought season 2 and watched every one of those, and now I'm halfway through season 3.

I just checked on Wikipedia, and I counted and see that I have 142 more episodes still left to watch, AND a movie, and by the time I finish all those, the new movie will be out!

Wow! This will easily take me through the entire summer to watch them all.

Plus, the past 2 nights, i was dreaming about Mulder and Scully.

LOL. What have I done to myself?

The question I have is this.

Do you enjoy the 'Monster of the Week' episodes, or do you enjoy the Alien's are here and integrating with us storyline better?

Personally, I could do without the monster of the week episodes.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you start quoting Mulder and Scully like they're real people, that's when you'll know you've gone too far. Don't laugh; back when the show was on, I think there were a few people who thought the show proved there were aliens among us (and not just illegal ones).

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I preferred the standalone, monster of the week episodes over the alien arcs. Two of my favorite episodes (the haunted house at Christmas Eve ep and the time-loop bank robbery ep) are standalones.

Then again, the show lost me somewhere around season six.

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
I was definitely a mythology watcher. The monster eps were clever enough to keep me tuned in, but it was the bigger story that kept me interested.

And i am one of those who was bitterly disappointed by how the whole thing petered out at the end without much of a satisfying resolution. I didn't need everything explained. But by the end, I didn't feel like the folks involved knew what they were doing or what they wanted to say. And that annoyed me since I'd spent a lot of time watching the show trusting that it was going somewhere.

But I'll probably still see the movie this summer. I understand it's a monster movie without much mythology.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's only my favorite television show of all time. The first three seasons were the best, with brilliance scattered throughout its long demise.

It'll crawl in your head for a while. We'll see you on the other side.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The question I have is this.

Do you enjoy the 'Monster of the Week' episodes, or do you enjoy the Alien's are here and integrating with us storyline better?

Personally, I could do without the monster of the week episodes.

I agree. Some of them were fun, but I far preferred the ones that focused on the overall mythology of the show.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I, too, preferred the monster of the week episodes. There were a lot of great ones. I think my favorites might be the freakshow with some kind of being that inhabited people (the tattooed guy at the end: "Must have been something I ate." It was that episode.)

The vampires at the trailer park episode where they switched POVs from Mulder to Sculley was a standout episode.

Stephen King even wrote one, but I can't remember what it was.

I never got into the overall story arc and didn't care for all that conspiracy stuff with the shady characters and the CSM and Well Manicured Man and all that. (But that one that centered around CSM was a great one, I will admit. Through the course of the episode, he wrote a short story and submitted it to a mens magazine, and they accepted it. At the end, he was disappointed that they changed it somehow.)

But when I stopped watching was after Mulder left. I just did not like Robert Patrick, especially after he started "believing."

allen

Hollan

Stage name = Chainsaw Sally
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreambyday-hollan.blogspot.com
Season 1-5 are the best. I love the alien mythos eps. But my faves are all monster of the week eps. Jose Chang's From Outer Space and the vampire trailer park one are my personal favorites.

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
I love the X-Files, and I've always preferred the Monster-of-the-week episodes. Although, I must profess a deep love for any Lone Gunmen appearances. There are a couple episodes featuring them, which are a lot of fun. And the short lived Lone Gunmen spin-off. You'll have to find time to watch those as well, DWSTXS. ^_^

-An

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I liked parts of the on-going story but the monster of the week were my favorite part of the show. The vampires in the trailer park, the moss monster thing in the woods, ah, they were all good. I can't wait for the X-Files movie this summer. I miss Mulder...oh, and Scully too, of course! :)

BTW...IIRC, Stephen King wrote the one about the evil doll that (I think) the fisherman found and gave his daughter. It was creepy as hell.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
"Matches are bad. Let's play.....with the Hammer!"

I loved how they showed the relationship between Mulder and Scully.

"I'm talking this entymologist. She says roaches are pretty harmless."
"She?"
"Bambi, says she keeps the house a secret because of the fear people have of roaches."
"Her name is Bambi? All right Mulder I'm coming down there."

Yeah we know she didn't have any interest in the case. Right that conversation is paraphrased. I don't have every episode memorized. Yet.

I love the Haunted House Christmas Eve episode. What did they get each other? You know when Mulder comes over to her apartment and they exchange gifts.

My favorite episode is where they go undercover in the gated community in California.
"Face it Scully you just want to play house."

An X-File video. I didn't make it.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
NEWXFILESMOVIEOHMYGODWHYWASINOTALERTEDIMMEDIATELYHEADSAREGOINGTOROLLOVERTHISeeeeepOHMYGODTHEYGOTDAVIDDUCHOVONYBACKSOITWON'TSUCKLIKETHELASTSEASONOFTHESHOWI'MSOHAPPYRIGHTNOW. squee!

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Isn't that the one where something underground is "controlling" the community with a very rigid set of rules?

(Mulder digging in the front yard)

"What are you doing?"

"I'm putting in a pool!"

Yeah. But I think it was a reflecting pond. "There's nothing in the rules that says I can't have a reflecting pond."

There names were hilarious. "It's Petri, like the dish."

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I am finishing Season 3 tonight and will start on Season 4 this weekend.

damn. I have no life. (everyone has probably guessed that by now)