PDA

View Full Version : Best Word Processor Ever. (Google!)

Bartholomew
05-14-2008, 10:33 AM
http://documents.google.com

This is an incredibly useful tool; basically, you can sit at any computer with internet access, and all your writing is right there, sitting and waiting obediently to be fiddled with.

So if you're stuck in a computer lab waiting for your girlfriend, or waiting for a stupid meeting to start in a room with computers, or you want to work on your project over your lunch break--boom. There are your documents. No flash drive, no emailing them to yourself. You can even export the files as a number of different, common extensions---or upload your files as is.

Very, very handy.

DeleyanLee
05-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Before you get too hooked on it, look at the terms of service. IIRC, there's this little clause in there that says while you retain the copyright, Google has the right to use anything stored there any which way they want.

Personally, I don't like that little clause, so I don't use it anymore. Google docs is also often blocked by some businesses (like my workplace, as my boss found out), which is another frustrating consideration.

My boss also discovered that Google.docs doesn't maintain formatting very well in transferring back to Word.

It's great for convenience, but it's not a panacea.

maestrowork
05-14-2008, 04:57 PM
And what if you really want to work and have no Internet access?

It's a good alternative, but I won't depend on it for anything.

BenPanced
05-14-2008, 07:27 PM
It's good for storage, but it's not my main choice, either.

CDarklock
05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Google has the right to use anything stored there any which way they want.

People always forget that Google is not a charity. Google's purpose in life is, oddly enough, to make money. They make money through advertising. What they want - and what all their free tools and useful gimmicks are designed to get for them - is more and more information about who people are and what people want and which advertisements they would most likely find appealing.

I don't have any problem with this, myself, but there are an awful lot of people out there using Google tools and bitching incessantly about killing the Microsoft empire. Trouble is, Google's an empire, too. The quality of tools people want has to come out of an empire.

Shadow_Ferret
05-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Google is evil and out to rule the world.

No thanks. I'm no enabler.

maestrowork
05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
You're just jealous you didn't think of Google first. Ed: the former brain behind Ogle.

aka eraser
05-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Armageddon will occur when Google and Microsoft lift their blood-encrusted heads, survey the world, and see that they are the only corporation the other has not yet eaten.

It won't be pretty.

lucky8
05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
It's useful for some things - I used it exclusively when travelling as every computer I sat at had internet access. However, as some have said, I couldn't rely on it as my main wp in the 'real' world because I don't always have net access. In fact, I tend to go out of my way to write in places where I can't access the net as it's too big of a distraction for me. Each to their own though.

CDarklock
05-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Armageddon will occur when Google and Microsoft lift their blood-encrusted heads, survey the world, and see that they are the only corporation the other has not yet eaten.

Google and Microsoft aren't in the same business. I can't speak for Google, but Microsoft certainly understand this.

Shadow_Ferret
05-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Google and Microsoft aren't in the same business. I can't speak for Google, but Microsoft certainly understand this.
Microsoft has MSN. A search engine. Hotmail. A webbased email service.

And then there's this: Google mounts assault on MS Word (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3660445.ece), which is what the OP was talking about.

CDarklock
05-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Microsoft has MSN. A search engine. Hotmail. A webbased email service.

Offering the same service is not the same as being in the same business.

Microsoft's primary revenue stream is desktop software licensing.

Google's primary revenue stream is advertising.

This is not the same business. If Live Search and Hotmail collapsed tomorrow, Microsoft would hardly notice. If GMail and Google's search infrastructure collapsed tomorrow, Google would die.

James81
05-14-2008, 09:58 PM
And then there's this: Google mounts assault on MS Word (http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3660445.ece), which is what the OP was talking about.

Isn't that what this thread is about?

And, I'm sorry, but MS Word is about as good as a processor can get. Going to be pretty tough for something better to come along. Especially since everybody is so used to Word now and nobody likes to change something they already know about.

CDarklock
05-14-2008, 10:09 PM
And, I'm sorry, but MS Word is about as good as a processor can get. Going to be pretty tough for something better to come along.

Flashback to 1990:

"WordPerfect 5.1 is about as good as a processor can get. Going to be pretty tough for something better to come along."

Word for Windows 2.0 slaughtered WordPerfect. There is no reason to think Google couldn't do the same... and, indeed, Word 2007 is the right time to do it. Everyone's going "WTF is this ribbon interface?" and getting annoyed about it.

If Google can reach feature-parity and file-level compatibility with Word before the ribbon interface becomes widely accepted, Google has a solid shot at slaughtering Word just as handily as Word slaughtered WordPerfect.

But in the end, Google has no real incentive to do that, and their internal organisation doesn't really support it either. So I don't think they're going to do that. I think feature-parity and file-level compatibility is so boring, none of Google's developers will stick with it long enough to get there.

And as far as cost/benefit, I think Google will benefit more from developing something new and different that mostly works - because they're not in the "quality software" business. They're in the "look at me!" business.

Phaeal
05-14-2008, 10:10 PM
I send documents I'm working on to my own email address as attachments, then put them in a special email folder. That's how I store them.

Most computers I access the email on have MS Word on them, so I just download an attachment, work on it, then mail it back to myself and delete the temp doc.

Phaeal
05-14-2008, 10:11 PM

It won't be pretty.

Ooh, this sounds even scarier than Godzilla vs. Mothra!

Shadow_Ferret
05-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Isn't that what this thread is about?

Isn't that what I said?

Geez, you people take things waaaay too seriously. Aka Eraser made a JOKE. I was simply playing along.

James81
05-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Isn't that what I said?

Geez, you people take things waaaay too seriously. Aka Eraser made a JOKE. I was simply playing along.

Sorry man, I have a nasty habit of not reading people's ENTIRE posts. :roll:

Mel
05-14-2008, 10:55 PM
And, I'm sorry, but MS Word is about as good as a processor can get. Going to be pretty tough for something better to come along. Especially since everybody is so used to Word now and nobody likes to change something they already know about.

Funny, people change every day to something different. OpenOffice.org (http://www.openoffice.org/) is quite popular. Even companies have switched to this word processor. Personally, I prefer it. Microsoft programs are not the be all end all. There are a lot of alternative programs out there if one wants to get away from Microsoft.

And some use and like AbiWord (http://www.abisource.com/).

Maybe everybody that uses Word is used to it, but not everyone uses it.

Bartholomew
05-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Well, I'm using googledocs mostly as a backup storage. I type into it when I'm not at my base computer because at the end of the day, I want to be able to use all of word's fun little tools. But the reality is that, when I'm writing, I just want something to write with--and if it has the added benefit of not being on paper, and therefore not forcing me to type it up later, after the fact, then YAY!

I didn't know about googledoc's statement saying that although I retain copyright, they can use the document however they like. This sounds like a contradiction to me--either I have full copyright, or I don't. They can't have it both ways.

I have a feeling this is their legal speak for, "we're using your work to focus-fire our advertising at you and your inbox." Which is how they make money--not by stealing author's short stories.

maestrowork
05-15-2008, 12:18 AM
I didn't know about googledoc's statement saying that although I retain copyright, they can use the document however they like. This sounds like a contradiction to me--either I have full copyright, or I don't. They can't have it both ways.

You always have copyright because you author it. But by using their software, you've agreed (via the small print, of course), to give them the permission to use your docs. One is your "copyright - authorship" and the other is the right to use. Two different things.

Dale Emery
05-15-2008, 12:49 AM
And what if you really want to work and have no Internet access?

You can install the new Google Docs Offline (http://documents.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=13768) to your browser. This allows you to work offline. It stores local copies of your docs. When you reconnect to the internet, you can sychronize the changes with Google's storage.

Dale

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Yes, but my thumb drive goes with me everywhere and can be loaded onto any computer with or without internet access.

I honestly don't see the advantage to googledocs.

Phaeal
05-15-2008, 01:02 AM
I have a feeling this is their legal speak for, "we're using your work to focus-fire our advertising at you and your inbox." Which is how they make money--not by stealing author's short stories.

Good Lord, let's hope Google's not desperate enough to steal short stories in hopes of making a buck!

blacbird
05-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Yes, but my thumb drive goes with me everywhere and can be loaded onto any computer with or without internet access.

Me too. Same reason. I often work in places without Internet access.

caw

Bartholomew
05-15-2008, 03:08 AM

Just a matter of perspective, I guess. I have the worst luck with flash drives; I lose them, or step on them, or someone ELSE steps on them--BAH! There are too many tiny humans in my world for a flash drive to work for me.

And anything is an upgrade from emailing stuff to myself.

Matera the Mad
05-15-2008, 05:35 AM
What's the difference between uploading to your Google account and e-mailing to it? None that I can see.

A flash drive in the pocket is worth a thousand converted docs in the Google bush. For one thing, the file format (as opposed to the appearance formatting) remains the same.

Bartholomew
05-15-2008, 06:05 AM
What's the difference between uploading to your Google account and e-mailing to it? None that I can see.

A flash drive in the pocket is worth a thousand converted docs in the Google bush. For one thing, the file format (as opposed to the appearance formatting) remains the same.

Good point.

The problem for me stems with the .docx file extension, and the the open source word processor (Open Office) we're forced to use in the computer lab I frequent.

If you were using two computers with the same word processor, however, email would be more efficient.

Matera the Mad
05-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Open Office can handle a lot of formats, and IMO no one has to be stuck with a default format, it usually just takes another click. *shrug*

http://ask-leo.com/whats_a_docx_file_and_how_did_i_get_one.html

OR -- then again, there are things like Wiki-on-a-stick (http://sourceforge.net/projects/stickwiki), every computer has a web browser even if there's no web.

maestrowork
05-15-2008, 06:19 PM
The problem for me stems with the .docx file extension, and the the open source word processor (Open Office) we're forced to use in the computer lab I frequent.

If you were using two computers with the same word processor, however, email would be more efficient.

Work with RTF only and your problems will be solved.

kuwisdelu
05-15-2008, 06:50 PM

Best word processor advice ever.

Personally, I'm just waiting for Apple to improve Numbers to be on-par with Excel, and then port iWork to Windows. When people see Pages and Keynote, I wonder how many will still be using the dinosaurs that are Word and Powerpoint..... :D

maestrowork
05-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I like Numbers already but it does feel like a 1.0 software. I'm waiting for the 3.0. :) But for all I do, I don't use Excel anymore. Keynote is the bomb. The only thing I hate about iWork is there just aren't that many templates. And Apple should follow MS lead (in this case) by including more templates and clipart -- Apple really know graphics art, and not the Microsoft-type crappy stuff. If Apple pumps up the templates and clipart, iWork will fly off the shelves and give MS Office run for the money.

Bartholomew
05-15-2008, 09:40 PM

That is good advice. What is an RTF's file size compared to doc and docx?

Shadow_Ferret
05-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I think RTFs are smaller than Word DOCs.

OK. As a test I just saved two 930 word docs. The one in DOC is 24k. The one in RTF is 9k.

inkkognito
05-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I like freebies, but I prefer Openoffice because no internet connection is needed once you download it.

I do have a special Gmail account to save copies of my files.

maestrowork
05-16-2008, 01:54 AM
That is good advice. What is an RTF's file size compared to doc and docx?

Huge. A 1 MB doc file, for example, becomes a 250K RTF... because it gets rid of all the crap Microsoft embeds into every Word document.

Christine N.
05-16-2008, 02:09 AM

Unless the jackasses in the tech department erase the drivers for the flash drives off of EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER in the building.

Happened to me. Took some stuff to work on during downtime at a middle school, couldn't make the drive work. Except for one in the library that had escaped the carnage.

And the tech department says it will take too much time to re-install all the drivers. Lazy bastids. Now no teacher OR student can do work at home and bring it in. Stupid.

But the internet works perfectly. That's actually a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I already e-mail backups of the files to myself...

BlueLucario
05-30-2008, 01:03 PM
You always have copyright because you author it. But by using their software, you've agreed (via the small print, of course), to give them the permission to use your docs. One is your "copyright - authorship" and the other is the right to use. Two different things.

WHAT?!!!!! I use google docs to show other people my work and use it when I leave my flash drive at home. I didn't know this until now. I'm so pissed, if they publish my book , Imma kick their ass.

Dale Emery
05-30-2008, 01:28 PM
WHAT?!!!!! I use google docs to show other people my work and use it when I leave my flash drive at home. I didn't know this until now. I'm so pissed, if they publish my book , Imma kick their ass.

According to Google's help (http://docs.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=82366&topic=8620), the fine print gives them the permission they need to display your documents to you and to the people you've chosen to share your documents with. They won't publish your stuff, except to carry out your explicit wishes.

Dale