PDA

View Full Version : 18 Questions about Yourself

xiph
05-14-2008, 07:11 AM
[deleted]

jennifer75
05-14-2008, 08:09 AM
1.Describe yourself briefly.
I'm 32. Im still trying to figure everything out. Im constantly in a state of confusion about how I feel and how I'm supposed to feel and how I think I'm supposed to feel. This also goes for what I should/want/think I should want to do. I think about religion and how I think I'm sure it's not for me, yet I read books in which characters discover their need for religion and then wonder, again, if that is for me. Sorry but this thread came at a perfect time, thank you.

2.How do you feel about your work? How do you feel about your hobbies or special interests?
I feel like my work is a life line. If i dont have it, I will not survive. Yet its not a profession. Its a job, a 8 - 5 job. and only that. So what do I have if the thing that i rely on so heavily, is just a job?

3.What is your opinion of today’s youth?
I envy them. I wish I could be at the stage in life that they are at so that I can make the "right" decisions. Knowing how difficult it is now, I would base my decisions on that.

4.What changes have taken place in society since the time you were a teenager? I personally see the role of fathers changing dramatically. Growing up with a perception of what a father is supposed to provide, and what a father actually gives and brings to the table now are totally different.

5.Do you have any special philosophy that guides your life?
I'm working on mine. Just diagnosed with something that is mostly brought on by extreme stress, I am working on my philosophy so that I can be strong and make wise decisions and live happily and healthy.

6.What are your immediate goals? What are your long-range goals? Discovering what is needed for a stronger well being is my immediate goal, maintaining it is my long range goal.

7.What were you doing 5 years ago? Have you attained some of the goals that you set for yourself since that time? 5 years ago I was struggling to believe that what I had was good, and what I wanted, not knowing if it wanted me. I was the mother of a one year old, I was insecure, I was in denial - I think. I was working for a number, time, to be able to say I'd been somewhere, for "so long" while I wasnt enjoying where I was and how much time was being invested.

8.In what ways are you a different person than you were in your early 20’s?
I dont think Im a different person. I think I have a lot more to think about than I did then, and a hell of a lot more to worry about.

9.Have you had a mentor in your adult life? No.

10.If you had your life to live over again, what would you do differently? I have no idea. Because I don't know what results I'll receive from what I'm currently living/doing.

11.What do you look forward to most in the future? Happiness.

12.How do you feel about marriage? How do you feel about sex? I think marriage is a commitment that is made when you can no longer prove that you are ready to invest in somebody by any other means. Sex? Maybe I can answer that with another glass of wine :P

13.How do you feel about children? (Whether a parent or not.) Sometimes I just want to scream. Sometimes I want to run. I'm a parent. Sometimes I cry, sometimes I laugh, sometimes I'm just simply amazed.

14.How do you feel about grandchildren? (Whether a grandparent or not.) No clue yet.

15.Do you think children should be raised in a permissive, authoritarian, or authoritative manner? (Whether a parent or not.)

16.How do your friendships today compare to those during your teens? Do you have the same friends? I dont have the same friends as I did in school. I have friends with similar lives and lifestyles as mine.

17.How do you feel about old age? today? It frightens me. I have a lot to learn before I lose the ability to learn it.

18.What else do you think is relevant to your personality and development as an adult?[/QUOTE]

Let me get another glass of wine. :) Thanks for the survey, makes a person think.

Matera the Mad
05-14-2008, 08:20 AM
short, fat, stubborn, satyrical

2.How do you feel about your work? How do you feel about your hobbies or special interests?
All the same, branches of obsession

Same as ever only worse, lack of human continuity, life with no purpose for too many

4.What changes have taken place in society since the time you were a teenager?
More universal TV brainwashing. Social entropy growing at an alarming rate...

Yeah. Waste=death

6.What are your immediate goals? What are your long-range goals?
a. get some sleep tonight
b. get an agent

7.What were you doing 5 years ago? Have you attained some of the goals that you set for yourself since that time?
a. writing
b. yep

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

9.Have you had a mentor in your adult life?
here and there

10.If you had your life to live over again, what would you do differently?
tell my mother off

11.What do you look forward to most in the future?
lunch

12.How do you feel about marriage? How do you feel about sex?
a. screw it
b. screw

13.How do you feel about children? (Whether a parent or not.)
YUCK

14.How do you feel about grandchildren? (Whether a grandparent or not.)
cute

15.Do you think children should be raised in a permissive, authoritarian, or authoritative manner? (Whether a parent or not.)
as human beings

16.How do your friendships today compare to those during your teens? Do you have the same friends?
a. more flexible
b. no

17.How do you feel about old age?
sux

18.What else do you think is relevant to your personality and development as an adult?
knowing myself

Vincent
05-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Hrmmm... I'll get back to this in 3 or 4 years.

Jersey Chick
05-14-2008, 08:43 AM

I'm short, blonde, and occasionally live up to the stereotype. I'm sarcastic and like a good argument.

I'm a full-time mom, so my job never ends. No sick pay. No vacation pay. But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

As for my hobbies and special interests - they give me ME time, which keeps me from killing anyone in my house. And believe me, it gets tempting sometimes.

I try hard to remember what it was like to be their age - when I knew everything and all adults were idiots. Someday they'll learn. I think they grow up too fast and try too hard to be adults, just as every generation did before. They'll learn, too late, that being young is the best time of their lives.

We didn't have too much of a sense of entitlement. Our first cars weren't nicer than our parents - if we were lucky, they ran without needing a jump start. We spent much more time outside, with our friends, than inside playing video games or hanging out in cyberspace. And I think I had less pressure on me.

The sun will always rise tomorrow, no matter what happens today.

6.What are your immediate goals? What are your long-range goals? My immediate goals are to get my three WIP off my desk. As for long range, I don't really know yet. They change depending on my mood.

7.What were you doing 5 years ago? Have you attained some of the goals that you set for yourself since that time? Five years ago, I was still trying to get something published and juggling writing with a toddler and a husband with a crazy work schedule. And yes, I have reached the main one - to sell a book.

I'm not nearly as self-centered and I'm a lot less judgmental of others.

9.Have you had a mentor in your adult life? No

10.If you had your life to live over again, what would you do differently? I would have gone away to college. I missed living in a dorm and pledging a sorority, things like that.

11.What do you look forward to most in the future? Honestly, seeing what kind of young adults my kids become.

I've been happily married for almost 11 years - but I don't know that I'd do it again. We've got two kids, we've mastered the art of the quickie :D

13.How do you feel about children? (Whether a parent or not.) I adore mine, not necessarily crazy about other people's, though.

EEEKKK - let's not go there, 'kay?

15.Do you think children should be raised in a permissive, authoritarian, or authoritative manner? (Whether a parent or not.) I think they should be raised in a stable environment. They need to know they are loved, and will always be loved, no matter what they might do. They need boundaries, but not to the point where their every movement is controlled. They need to know and obey the rules, learn to deal with the consequences of their actions, and that they are entitled to only food, shelter and clothing (and by that, I don't mean the top name clothing, either.) Everything else is a priviledge.

16.How do your friendships today compare to those during your teens? Do you have the same friends? Yes - my best friend and I have been friends since we were 3 and 4 years old. What we talk about has changed, but she and I know we can count on the other one for support, sharing good and bad news, and all that. The changes come about in what you deal with.

17.How do you feel about old age? I don't want to think about it. I have a hard time dealing with my current age. It's hard to think so much time's already gone by, when it seems like no time has passed since I was a teen myself.

18.What else do you think is relevant to your personality and development as an adult? Knowing who you are - and what you're capable of no matter what. I take it all in stride because there are some things you just can't control.

StephanieFox
05-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Short, cynical, amused. I bore easily. I have a lot of energy that is sometimes hard to control. I fidget a lot.

I like my work. I like my hobbies. I wish I could travel more. I wish there was more time for everything.

The kids are all right. I have hope for them when they grow up and get out of the clutches of their parents.

1) We were hoping for world peace and understanding. We said, "Love everyone," and although it didn't turn out the way we hoped, we at least tried. Kids today want to win the game. They say, "If you're not #1, you are a loser."
2) We got to run around and explore the world. Kids today have to be in constant sight of their parents. I mean, what if they skinned a knee? What would happen if mommy and daddy weren't there?

1) It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
2) If someone insults you and they didn't mean to, just ignore it. Getting upset doesn't get you or them anywhere. But, if someone insults you and they meant to do so, just ignore it – it'll piss them off.

Immediate: Finish this survey
Long term: Get a PhD in something or other.

7.What were you doing 5 years ago? Have you attained some of the goals that you set for yourself since that time?
I'm not really into the goal-setting thing. I just focus and move forward. I usually end up in good shape.

I weigh less than I did then. I don't worry about so many stupid things like I used to. I like my job. I hated my job then.

Not really. I always wanted one, though.

Throw that one stupid boyfriend out of my life a lot earlier.

A nice springtime walk.

I like being married. If you are not ready to be married for life, you should not get married. That's why I waited until I was 43 to get married. Sex? None of your business.

I prefer four-legged fuzzy kids.

What? Do you mean, do I want my dog to have puppies? She can't. She's been spayed.

Don't ever use folded up newspapers. Don't jerk the leash. Train with treats and praise. A skritch behind the ears is always a good thing. Make sure your dog feels safe with you around. Socialize them with other dogs and people.

16.How do your friendships today compare to those during your teens? Do you have the same friends?
Most of my friends from back then are dead or missing.

You mean, like now? I'm going to be one of those old ladies with an umbrella I use as a weapon. Watch out for me.

18.What else do you think is relevant to your personality and development as an adult?
I noticed that most of the questions you asked, you used the word 'feel' as in "How do you feel about..." The last few, you used the word 'think' instead. Is that significant? LOL

I was raised without the understanding of social classes, so I was able to judge people on their merits instead of their money (although I can be critical of people and their merits or lack of them). I was raised to think of life and death as part of the same cycle. I was raised to try to make the world a better place, even in small increments. That's how I live my life now.

IceCreamEmpress
05-14-2008, 09:01 AM

"Hapless Virago" doesn't do it? My husband calls me "Betty Boop, Warrior Princess" if that helps.

Love my work at the moment, because I'm writing and editing full-time. But I've enjoyed most of my work in the past, too.

I don't really have any hobbies. It's either work or relaxation or just living.

A mixed bag of human beings, just like today's olds.

The Internet is huge. The end of the Soviet bloc and the rise of China as a global superpower.

I try to do my best, be kind to others, and not sweat the small stuff. Or if this is meant to refer to religion, I'm a pretty ecumenical Episcopalian.

Immediate goal: Sleep. Long-range goals: Professional--Sell the finished novel and the children's book. Finish the Big Civil War Book and the children's poetry book. Start the next books. Lather, rinse, repeat. Make enough money from this not to have to do other work. Personal--Keep working on having a good marriage. Do more volunteering. Improve fitness. Spend more time with friends and family.

5 years ago, I was doing consulting. And I have attained some of my goals since then, mostly around health, family, and personal growth.

Oh, lord. So many ways. Mostly, I don't hate myself. That's a huge change.

Yes, but I'd have liked to have had more. That's something I do wish I'd done differently.

Reach out to more people. Ask for more help. Tell people I loved them more often. Not sweat the small stuff.

To quote Thelonious Monk, "Life in general."

I never planned to be married, but now that I am I really like it. I think sex is great in many different ways--both as an expression of love and as an expression of physical vitality.

Love children, love being an aunt and a godmother, glad that I'm not a mother.

I wish I could be a grandmother. I bet I'd be good at that.

I think children should be raised with respect. I don't think being overly permissive or overly authoritative is being respectful.

I have some friends from back then, but many of my friends are people I met in college and in my adult life.

I think it will be an adventure! I'm hoping that I will gain enough in wisdom to make up for what I lose in physical vitality.

Reading. That's why I'm a writer.

maestrowork
05-14-2008, 04:08 PM

Tall, dark, and handsome. Sometimes delusional.

Work? Life is a hobby, dude.

I don't have any.

I got old.

Hey dude... 420 is a good number.

See #5.

I'll get back to you in five years.

I'm old.

See #5.

I'd quit my job before I even started.

Getting older.

No. YES.

I like other people's children. When they're quiet and invisible.

I may be old, but I'm not that old.

They should live in Limbo.

Friends?

I'm there already.

I took this fucking quiz, didn't I?

sheadakota
05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
opinionated, cautious, curious
Like my job - But hate how society forces me to do it- (nurse) Insurances companies run hospitals theses days- I hate that so much I am leaving my proffesion.
The 'me' generation. If you are talking about the twenty-somethings I have never seen a more self absorbed generation.
4.What changes have taken place in society since the time you were a teenager?Teens are always the same- pushing the limits of what they think is acceptable- the limits are what change.

5.Do you have any special philosophy that guides your life?Don't tell me what to believe and I won't tell you what to believe

6.What are your immediate goals? What are your long-range goals?Plant my garden- get my book published

7.What were you doing 5 years ago? Have you attained some of the goals that you set for yourself since that time? Being a mom- My kids are still alive so I guess so.

I echo the one response by saying hahahaahahahahahahahahah!
9.Have you had a mentor in your adult life? Yes, but only just recently

10.If you had your life to live over again, what would you do differently?I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life- I would have concetrated on writing a lot earlier, and I would never have gone into nursing- but then I would have never met my husband (also a nurse) or had my kids- so who knows- there is reason behind random events.

11.What do you look forward to most in the future?growing up with my kids

Love being married- my husband is my best friend as hokey as that sounds- sex is great.
13.How do you feel about children? (Whether a parent or not.)Loud, messy, dirty little things- best things that ever happened to me.

14.How do you feel about grandchildren? (Whether a grandparent or not.)well seeing how my kids are only 10-11- I have time- but I think it would be cool to be a grandparent.

15.Do you think children should be raised in a permissive, authoritarian, or authoritative manner? (Whether a parent or not.) Children are a lot like dogs- they needs rules, bounderies and limitations- Thank you Ceasar Milan-

16.How do your friendships today compare to those during your teens? Do you have the same friends?I never had a lot a friends- never felt comfortable enough to get that close with someone- until my husband-

17.How do you feel about old age? as Long as I am cognitive and mobile- bring it on

18. What else do I think is relevant? just trying to survive with the rest of you

Joycecwilliams
05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Young at heart, free spirit woman in her fifties. Strawberry blonde hair, blue 5'6" size 8, attractive or so I am told. I love to find exciting things in everyday life.

Well I have three jobs, I work for a newspaper, Weight Watchers, and am a recording secretary for the town. I like all my jobs because they are flexible.
My hobbies are varied... sometimes I think it may look like I am schitzo... I have way too many interests... Writing, reading, gardening, fly fishing, hiking, dancing, camping, baking, and traveling anywhere.

As with all the generations before us... there are good and bad in today's youth.. However that being said, I feel a lot of the youth today are growing up without any parental supervision.

4.What changes have taken place in society since the time you were a teenager? Cell phones. Everyone is walking with cell phones however not where I live, but I notice it when I travel.
Wearing white after Labor Day, DVD's, Latte's and a whole bunch of other stuff.

5.Do you have any special philosophy that guides your life? Live your life to fullest and with the least regrets...

My immediate goal for today is to finish a brick wall along the walkway.
Long term goal to get my book published.

I really can't post what I was doing five years ago... but it sure was fun...
I have attained 99 44/100 of my goals since then..

I am more confident now and people take me more seriously, but my basic personality is still the same.

Although he wasn't officially my mentor... I would have to say the man I worked for, for 18 years was the closest thing I had to a mentor..

10.If you had your life to live over again, what would you do differently? I would make sure all the people who have passed before knew how much they meant to me.

Not raising grandchildren.

Marriage ruins sex.. :)

Well I have conflicting... feelings. Most of my life I have been raising children... even now I am raising my grandchildren.. Being a mother is the most important job in the world. You are raising the future leaders of the communities and perhaps the country. I don't think good mothers get enough credit. It is long hours, no holidays off, no weekends off, and the pay sucks.. :)

I am raising my grandchildren. I am more like a mother to them than a grandparent. I would love to be able to be the one that spoils them.

Neither you have a balance, and have children learn from their mistakes...

Funny I am friends with one of my friends from high school. Although we live miles apart... our feelings towards towards children, marriage, and other stuff are very similar. In general I have less friends now...

It is just a frame of mind. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. :) I want to age gracefully, but not be a stick in the mud.. Life is too full of wonderful things... to sit back and let life go by.

My mother. She never allowed me have pity parties, and always taught me to look at the bright side of things. She taught me that might does not make right, and that happiness is something mostly controled by yourself... :)

I miss her.

Seaclusion
05-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Fun, witty, irreverent. Always the life of the party. Men respect me, women adore me. Never arrogant or concieted and I never lie.
Whenever I get the urge to work, I lie down until it passes. Everything therefore is a hobby
Too young. They need more age.
What used to be considered sex is no longer sex. I don't know if that is good or bad.
See #2
Shower, shave, get dressed. Not get arrested, detained or shot.
Essentially the same thing as I do now. Yes, all I think.
I still feel like a 20 year-old. I fact I felt one last night.
No. I screwed up my life without any outside assistance.
Invest everything I had in Berkshire Hathaway stock wne it was $800 a share. It's $124,000 today.
The next beer.
When it works, it's the greatest thing going. When it doesn't. it'll ruin you for life. Just as with money, you can Never have too much.
Children should be seen and not heard.
Grandchildren should be kept at home until they're no longer annoying.
I think manners are very important.
They tend to be adults now and were teens back then.
I feel old age everyday. It's not a pretty sight.
I took the time to be perfectly honest on this questionaire albeit a slight sarcastic.

johnnysannie
05-14-2008, 05:28 PM

Sassy redhead, writer, mother, wife, and daughter, often too smart for my own good, fey, and so stubborn I make mules seem pliable.

I'm a stay at home mom which I love being able to be and I am also a full-time writer, balancing writing and home. It has advantages - many, in fact, but it also has downsides. I don't have much time for hobbies or special interests but I am working on making my yard a blooming garden, a long time ambition. My grandfather had a beautiful yard and I've always wanted one.

Some good, some bad, very human. That doesn't change, I don't think. I do think that many of today's youth are less mature than youth in the past.

Wow. A lot. Let's see - the internet is a big one, global terrorism that affects Americans, more non-traditional families, 24 hour a day news/weather, satellite tv that brings me over 200 channels, cell phones, the weak economy, lots more cars on the road, more teens with their own cars (that they did not work to buy like I did mine),

Two things. One is the lesson that my grandmother taught us by example - when life knocks you down, you get up and go on. The other is a saying that my grandfather had - there is no such word as "can't".

Finish the non-fiction book I'm under contract to write on time, sell one of my novels, enjoy the summer, pay off my house

Five years ago I was a writer, wife, and mother. In that five years, though, I have advanced as a writer, sold work to markets that were on my list of markets to reach. I still hope to sell at least one of my novels, hopefully more. I've increased my short fiction publication credits considerably in the last five years.

At 46, I'm obviously more mature. Not much phases me any more; I deal with it and go on. I'm more confident and probably like myself better.

When I went to work in radio straight out of college, I had a mentor who later become a minister. A few years ago, a troubled man came to his front door and shot him dead. Very sad.

I've had a few editors who have helped me too.

Enjoy my youth more - I was always in a hurry to grow up. I would travel more before becoming a parent.

Just living a happy, comfortable, relatively care free life.

I love being married; I'm also glad that I waited until I was 32 to get married. And I like sex.

I love kids and I love my own kids. Parenting, though, is much harder than I thought as a non-parent. It's a 24/7 constant responsibility that never ends until the kids are grown - probably not even then.

I really look forward to having grandchildren, more fun, less responsibility, but not for a long time yet, please God!

I try to allow my children freedom within the parameters that I set. Discipline and boundaries are a must. Maintaining authority is an ongoing struggle especially as the kids get older but it's vital that you do. You have to be the parent, not the fun friend.

My closest, best friend, then and now is my male cousin, one year older. If I see old friends from high school, we're still friendly but we're not friends in the sense that we run around together. I probably have less friends now than as a teen but I'm closer to the friends I do have.

It's inevitable and I hope to be just as cool and classy and fun and eccentric an old lady as my grandmothers both were, each in her own way.

The older I get, the more I realize that my childhood roots still run deep. Much of who I became stems from those early years. I'm also shaped by the events of my life, planned and unplanned. Many people have affected me in both positive ways and negative ways.

Cranky
05-14-2008, 06:24 PM

Short, smartalecky Scorpio. I'm 32, married for nine years, mother of four boys. That's it in a nutshell.

My work is my life, because my work is my family. I've had other jobs, but this is the best one. My hobbies/special interests keep me "me".

They aren't too much different than what I was like as a young person. They just have more appendages. (cells, etc.)

A better question would be to ask: What hasn't changed since I was a teenager?

The Golden Rule, mostly.

Immediate goals? Too many to list Long range: raise children who won't embarrass either themselves or us as adults, publish!, save for retirement, buy a house, stay married happily to my wonderful husband 'till we croak.

Five years ago, I was wrapping up my career outside the home. I've attained all the goals I had for myself since then. I didn't have many. :)

You mean besides being older and more wrinkly? Okay, I'm more responsible and mature. I'm also way more immature. I've learned to cope with the curveballs life throws much better now. I've learned how much I still don't know.

That's a negative, Ghostrider.

I would've gone to college. All else flows from that. However, if living my life over means not meeting my husband and having our kids, I'd pass.

Retirement. Grandchildren (God willing), and seeing my name on a book I've written.

Marriage is great when it's working, and hard work no matter what. I think it helped me grow as a person, but I was also pretty young when I got married.

Sex=yes, and often.

I didn't want to have kids until I had them, don't like many besides my own, though I'm a sucker for babies. They're too much adorableness! Kids have their upsides, however. They're cheap entertainment. :D

They are our reward for having kids.

I don't think any single approach works for all kids. I parent each child according to their personality, age, and ability. The rules adjust accordingly, but consequences are applied consistently. I'm a big advocate of the "give them roots, then give them wings" school of thought. My job is to raise my kids to go out into the world as productive, pleasant adults that come back to visit with cookies when I'm old.

Other than online, I don't have many friends. I never had many growing up, either. Moved too much, too self-concious. Now, frankly, I am too busy to provide the effort and face-time meatspace relationships require. I'd rather have no friends than be a flake.

The older, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Not enough space to answer that question. Short answer: Life is relevant.

gem1122
05-14-2008, 06:51 PM

I am 39, male, married, father of two

I thought I'd miss my teaching career, but I don't. When I left it two years ago to be an at-home parent, it was a tough decision, but I'm very much at peace with it now. I was allowing myself to be identified by my career. Also, I am currently putting my 'other' hobbies in their place. These include photography and music. They're fun at times, but I too often use them as distractions from my writing. I am now trying to immerse myself in what's always been my main interest: writing.

Having worked with youth for several years, I would say they are no more lazy or apathetic than any other generation (contrary to many opinions). Growing up in the 80s, most of us were the same way. This generation's downfall may be their reliance on technology, but again, the same things were said of us when we spent our afternoons playing Atari. They'll be fine.

See #3.

Be kind to others, be true to yourself, be happy. Eat pancakes.

My immediate goal is to go see what mess my toddler is making in the kitchen. My long-range goal is to finish this damn WIP by September.

I was teaching college full-time, plowing through the piles of final research projects and calculating final grades. Ugh. I have moved forward with a new novel, though it's taken much longer than I'd hoped to finish it.

I was so unbelievably naive back then. I am only somewhat naive now.

No.

Travel more. Whine less. Be less serious. Be more carefree. Create more. Rest on my laurels less.

Seeing my children grow up. Seeing the Grand Canyon and ancient castles and Africa. Publishing a book or two.

Both are good with the right person.

They're beautiful. I only wish they could all be happy all of the time. I feel a tinge of guilt for having children when the world is full of children in need. We're talking about adoption.

See #13.

I'm too lazy to look up the definitions. Does that mean I answered the question?

I used to have a lot of friends. Now I have....um, three. I keep in touch with one friend from high school. That's all.

I'm terrified of being elderly and looking back with regrets.

Since getting out of the career rat-race, I'm seeing things more clearly than ever. It's all a bunch of bs.

ACEnders
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM

short and sexy, self-conscious, confident and happy

My work is just a job to help bring in the cash. I hope one day when we have kids to be able to go parttime.

I hope my writing becomes my career.

I don't think today's youth is any different than yesterdays. They're striving for recognition, acceptance, and love. They try to be adults too hard instead of enjoying their youth. They have ideals and hopes but no idea how to attain them.

Not many. Everything's just increased, if that makes sense.

Have fun! Follow Christ. And love at every opportunity.

Immediate - get the refi

Long-range - get published, have kids

I was living in NY, working 2 jobs, and living alone.

Now, I'm living in my first house with my husband and our dog and cat, I've written 2 books and working on my 3rd, and I have my motorcycle license. Some of things I decided I wanted, some of them came as a surprise (the motorcycle license). But I'm very content with where I am right now.

Wow, I was naive. I was green. I believed that love was all you needed to maintain any relationship. I've since learned that love is a choice, but that you need all kinds of other things to make the love work. And I'm not (completely) naive.

No.

Complain less. There are probably a few things I did in my past that I wouldn't do if I had my life to live over again. But I'd want to end up right where I am right now.

Having children. Traveling the world. Publishing

Marriage is work, but it's fun work. It's not something you jump into lightly, and it's not something you decide to end on a whim. If you marry the one you love, then you work for it everyday. You learn something new about the marriage everyday.

Sex is fun and a pretty vital part of keeping that marriage alive! ;)

I can't wait to have them...but I can.

Oooh...I can certainly wait to have them!!!

Authoritatrian

I don't have the same friends. I used to have a ton of "friends," now I only have a few really good, close friends. I like it that way.

I'm terrified of being elderly and looking back with regrets.

Oooh, that's a toughy. I'd have to think for awhile about this one.

threedogpeople
05-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Middle aged (aak!) red-head, feisty, kind, sluggish, talented cook....

2.How do you feel about your work? Can't work.

How do you feel about your hobbies or special interests? only things standing between me and insanity

The majority are fabulous, talented, focused, motivated and understand that in order to get ahead you have to work hard, pay your dues, and be lucky. They are incredibly kind and caring about the people in the world, each other and the planet.

There is another group out there that has an unrealistic attitude of entitlement; these young people are angry because the world isn't handing them money and status for doing nothing and seem to be looking for possessions to give them happiness. I've also run into young people that will destroy what you have only because they don't have it too.

4.What changes have taken place in society since the time you were a teenager? More dangerous, very tough to get ahead, much more complicated.

5.Do you have any special philosophy that guides your life? Love God, love each other, work hard, play hard, do the best you can.

6.What are your immediate goals? Manage chronic pain and do the best I can. What are your long-range goals? Same.

7.What were you doing 5 years ago? Have you attained some of the goals that you set for yourself since that time? Almost bedridden & housebound, trying to just get through the next hour. Yes, I've attained some of my goals. I'm more comfortable and can function much better on an more regular basis.

8.In what ways are you a different person than you were in your early 20’s? Absolutely. I'm much kinder and more tolerant.

10.If you had your life to live over again, what would you do differently? Avoid the intersection where the accident happened.

11.What do you look forward to most in the future? Too depressed to look forward to the future. Is it a blessing? The gift of time? Is it a curse? The curse of pain and decay?

12.How do you feel about marriage? Mixed - it is the most wonderful, most horrible thing to do. It offers extreme happiness but also emotional pain.

How do you feel about sex? As often as possible. BTW it gets more powerful as you get older (frequency diminishes but it gets better and better with all that practice).

13.How do you feel about children? (Whether a parent or not.) It would have been cool but God had other plans.

14.How do you feel about grandchildren? (Whether a grandparent or not.) The best benefit people get from being a parent.

15.Do you think children should be raised in a permissive, authoritarian, or authoritative manner? (Whether a parent or not.) I think it should be a blend. Be permissive when it isn't a big thing, authoritarian when it's life or death and authoritative when it's something in the middle.

16.How do your friendships today compare to those during your teens? Deeper and more realistic. Do you have the same friends? Yes and no.

17.How do you feel about old age? Love how much I know about life and wouldn't go back to being 20 for all the money in the world (although I'd trade my late 40's body for my 20 body in a second).

18.What else do you think is relevant to your personality and development as an adult? Chronic pain is difficult but effective teacher about life.

James81
05-14-2008, 11:58 PM

Short(ish), dark, and handsome. Heaven and hell. Fun loving, yet serious.

I hate my job and am working furiously to get into something else (namely: a writing career and would also like to be a guidance counsellor). I have eclectic tastes, and consider myself a jack of all trades. I'll try anything once, but am happy with my hobbies.

May God have mercy on their souls. I apologize to them wholeheartedly for what my generation is doing to the world.

I have come a long way from the shy, backwards, awkward teenager I used to be. Someone once asked if I was on drugs because I've changed so much.(the answer is no, of course lol)

I am really starting to like the Tao and Buddhist philosophies, but I cling dearly to great motivational quotes.

I believe that life is meant to be lived and those not living fully are never really free. I like Wally Lamb's quote that "love grows from the rich loam of forgiveness". I like Rocky's philosophy of "If you know what you are worth, then go out and get what you are worth, but you gotta be able to take the hit!". And finally, Jerry Flether's (movie--Conspiracy Theory) philosophy of "To be normal, to drink coca-cola and to eat kentucky fried chicken is to be in conspiracy with yourself." (I could spend all day typing out the quotes that I've heard that have a major impact on my life lol)

Immediate goal: Revise my novel, spend more time with my kids, and have more fun.

Long-range goals: To rebuild my life from the ground up.

Five years ago I was a miserable, insecure, controlling mess. I have met goals, but not the ones I have set back then. I've learned to love myself, become extremely confident in who I am and what I want, and have learned to love my life in whatever state that I am. It's not the goals I had back then, but I couldn't ask for any greater change in my life.

In what ways am I the SAME would be an easier question to answer. ;)

My mentor has been the pen and the page. Reading and writing. I have learned how to find the strenth within myself to get back up and take another step. Oh, and I really like Yoda.

Nothing. My life, up until about a year ago, has been riddled mainly with failures and mistakes, but out of the ashes of those mistakes I have grown into the person I am today and I wouldn't change it for all the world.

Flying cars.

Oh boy. Marriage: I have no problem giving a woman a ring. I have no problem taking a vow to be faithful to a woman for the rest of my life. I have no problem getting up in front of friends and family and sharing that vow with them. I have a HUGE problem with getting an actual marriage license and going through the legal system to make it "legal". To hell with that and it's biased laws.

Sex: People take it too seriously.

Children hold the secret to eternal youth and happiness. You can learn a lot from a child.

Not that I want to be old, but I can't wait to have a few.

I don't know what these words mean, lol, but from the sounds of it I would say "permissive". As a parent your job is to be a GUIDE, not an authoritarian lording over their every decision. You tell them what you believe is right, install good values into their hearts and minds, and then step aside and let them make their own damned decisions.

All of my friends have scattered like the wind all over the country. I have a whole mast of "acquaintences" these days on a local level, and a few close friends that I keep in contact with via the internet and phone.

I embrace it. I like being young and don't WANT to be old, but I also don't mind the thought of getting old. I hope that I stay a kid at heart, no matter what age I am.

I'm a sucker for ice cream cake.

chartreuse
05-15-2008, 12:54 AM
1.Describe yourself briefly. My life card is The Hermit; My soul card The Moon. In other words, I spend a lot of time alone and tend to be very emotional.

2.How do you feel about your work? Hate it, but trying to come to a state of acceptance about it.

How do you feel about your hobbies or special interests? Well, since I choose to do them, I must like them, eh?

3.What is your opinion of today’s youth? Way too in love with electronic devices.

4.What changes have taken place in society since the time you were a teenager? Beer's gotten better, television's gotten worse (except for Lost), people have come to believe it's perfectly acceptable to live beyond their means.

5.Do you have any special philosophy that guides your life? I like a quote from Clara Barton - I have an almost complete disregard of precedent and a faith in the possibility of something better. It irritates me to be told how things always have been done .... I defy the tyranny of precedent. I cannot afford the luxury of a closed mind.

6.What are your immediate goals? To finish this survey.

What are your long-range goals? To find better ways of wasting time at work than this.

7.What were you doing 5 years ago? Evolving

Have you attained some of the goals that you set for yourself since that time? Life's a journey, not a destination. Can you tell I don't like this line of questioning?

8.In what ways are you a different person than you were in your early 20’s? Sadly, I do fewer drugs.

Any change in the timeline would so drastically alter my current reality (which, believe it or not, I'm kind of fond of) that I wouldn't risk it.

11.What do you look forward to most in the future? The remaining episodes of Lost.

12.How do you feel about marriage? Bad

How do you feel about sex? Good

13.How do you feel about children? (Whether a parent or not.) Disgusting, horrid little creatures, noisy and smelly and demanding.

14.How do you feel about grandchildren? (Whether a grandparent or not.) Grandchildren are still children (see above).

15.Do you think children should be raised in a permissive, authoritarian, or authoritative manner? (Whether a parent or not.) Permissive AND authoratative - rules should be followed, but there shouldn't be too many rules.

16.How do your friendships today compare to those during your teens? Friends seemed a necessity then; now I only make friends on the rarest of occasions - I prefer time to myself.

Do you have the same friends? No.

17.How do you feel about old age? Looking forward to it, unless my health goes...then I'll be digging out my copy of Final Exit.

18.What else do you think is relevant to your personality and development as an adult? Everything I have seen, thought, experienced, every word I have spoken, every word I have read...it's all part of who I am now.

For what it's worth...

Devil Ledbetter
05-15-2008, 02:38 AM
18 seems like a lot after a long day at work, especially since several of them contain more than one question. I'll start with six and maybe answer more later if I'm feeling ambitious.

Loyal and fair-minded.

2.How do you feel about your work?

I love my job. At work, I write something and everybody loves it and it gets published immediately.

How do you feel about your hobbies or special interests?

Satisfied, but I wish I had more time for them.

They're vastly underrated.

The cold war ended. They allowed swearing on TV. News went on the air 24 hours a day. Journalistic objectivity was abandoned. The Internet happened. Huge corporations bought up nearly everything and homogenized America. Suddenly, there was no gratification that wasn't instant. Integrity was largely replaced by endless blabbering about "faith."

Be honest. Be positive unless it means being dishonest. Never be afraid to speak your truth.

6.What are your immediate goals?

Mop the kitchen floor.

What are your long-range goals?

World Domination.

Tink
05-15-2008, 02:55 AM
1. Impatient
2. I don't have the time to answer this one.
3. none............$#%^@&, this takes way too long......

Alvah
05-15-2008, 03:47 AM

Middle aged, introverted, honest, lacking self-discipline.
And I love songs and singing.

I enjoy my work a lot, but it took me several decades to find a job I like.
Hobbies? I like to cook and go for walks.

I worry about them. Many young people (not all), seem
self-centered, way too materialistic, and appear to lack interest in
anything that has moral or intellectual depth. I'm talking about
young people in the U.S. Things may be a lot different in other
parts of the world.

When I was young, most mothers did not work outside the home,
the "face" of government was almost entirely white....hardly any black
or Asian or Latino people. Back then, people had more time to
just be with one another, and chat. Now it feels like everyone
is too rushed for that.

"Life is what you make of it...always has been, always will be."
--Grandma Moses

Immediate goal: eat supper.
Long range goals: lose 30 pounds,
get some poetry and stories published,
live so that I will have few regrets when I die.

5 years ago I was doing pretty much what I do now.
No, I haven't achieved my goals. Not giving up though.

I am more realistic, less naive. I am more aware and empathetic
about other people and their feelings. I am kinder and less
dogmatic. When I look back at the kind of person I was in
my early twenties, it's embarrassing to admit I used to be such a
foolish, shallow, annoying jerk.

No, but I wish I had.

I would be more loving to my parents, much kinder to my
brothers. I would have stayed physically fit and flossed my teeth
every day. I would have focused on developing a solid career
earlier in my life, instead of just drifting with no direction, which is
what I actually did.

Growing old with my wife :^)

Marriage is a lot of hard work, but it's worth it.
Sex? I don't want to answer that one.

Children are the source of the greatest joy and the
most painful heartbreak.

I like them, but don't have any yet....maybe in a few years.

I think children need to learn to respect their parents,
and to follow their parents' guidance. I don't favor
permissiveness or authoritarianism.

I am not good at making friends, so I don't have many.
When I was young I had more, but I don't keep in touch with them.
Some of the kids I grew up with are dead now....a sobering fact.

I look forward to it, provided my body and mind both
continue to work reasonably well. I don't want to
be an invalid in a nursing home....I've seen what that's like.

I've learned to never give up on a worthwhile goal; life
is often painful, but I still can choose to be happy in spite
of that.

Elodie-Caroline
05-15-2008, 04:21 AM
1. I'm 47 yrs young. I am five feet tall exactly, I have blonde hair, blue eyes and have great skin, so don't look my age.

2.How do you feel about your work? My work is my writing and I love it, it is also my hobby. I also like photography. Working on my various internet sites; one on travel, one on Jean Reno--and I've just become an editor on an online news group about him too. I also like going out on long drives, especially in and around Canary Wharf, which is where a majority of my photos are taken.

3. They seem overly spoilt and self-centred. They also want to be treated like adults when it suits them, but as children when it doesn't, like shirking responsibility for their actions.

4. Law and order is a complete joke, no one ever seems to get punished for their crimes these days. Everyone seems frightened and the governments deliberately like to keep the populations frightened; the threats of terrorism etc.

5. I do what I want to do, so long as I know I am not hurting anyone else in my pursuits.

6. My immediate goal is to finish the novel I started around 7 weeks ago.
My long term goals are to get published and then go and spend the rest of my life living in France.

7. I wasn't doing too much, five years ago, shortly after is when I decided to start writing, I suddenly seemed to get a lot of inspiration.
Yes, I attained some of the goals, I am now on my fifth novel.

8. I care less about what others think of me, I am a much stronger minded person and am quite happy with my life. I don't give a stuff about whether I look trendy or not, I'm just me; like me as I am or bugger off out of my life. I am also married, which I didn't do until my mid thirties, actually I've just celebrated 14 years of marriage.

9. My mentor is myself.

10. I would do lots of things differently, but I don't regret anything that I have done; life's too short for regrets.

11. Getting published, hopefully.

12. Marriage is a good thing and not something to rush into, just to get a big white dress and an expensive day out.
I love sex, it's my most favourite past time :D

13. I don't regret not having children, that's how I feel about them, but I do like other people's children, sometimes.

14. My sister's grandchildren are great! I get to act like an aunty to them , they love me as much as I love them.

15. I think children should be brought up firmly and with respect for others and for the world in which they live in.

16. I don't do many friends, but do have many acquaintances. I don't believe in keeping things from the past, even my old friends, we aren't the same people that we were when we were young, we have nothing in common now.

17. I feel old age frequently, seeing as my hubby will be 60 in December :D Other than that, age is just a number, nothing to worry about.

18. Just being allowed to be myself and not letting others try and tell me what to do, it didn't work when I was a kid, so it sure won't now. Plus I will always keep my wicked and warped sense of humour.

Elodie

slcboston
05-15-2008, 04:36 AM

I got old.

:ROFL:

slcboston
05-15-2008, 04:48 AM

Boxers. Never briefs.

I want to know why my special interests never seem to pay me the kind of money that politician's special interests do.

I like to believe I am still today's youth. (Yes, I'm over 30. So what?)

Too many surveys and psychobabble questionnaires. :D

Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter.

Same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Whatever I *might* have been doing, a: the statute of limitations has run out, and b: you can't prove it anyway.

I have a beard.

Does Yoda count?

Be rich.

Flying cars. And phasers.

Like being blindfolded and handcuffed. Better with blindfolds and handcuffs.

Obviously, mine is perfect. :D

NO DATING.

Permissive AND authoritative.

No. Thank god.

Let you know when I get there.

Wait, I'm a *what* now?

Beyondian
05-15-2008, 05:36 AM

Eccentric with an inexplicable English accent and a tendency to drink gallons of black coffee.

Work is work - it exists because I need money. My hobbies are eclectic and range from playing Rachmaninov on the piano to watching the sun set over the sea.

Uh - pass.

Very little. It wasn't that long ago.

There's always another side to the story...

Finish my WIP. Get published.

I was cleaning a High School. Yes. I graduated.

No ways at all. I'm exactly the same.

My father. My mother.

Don't scare me like that.

The adventure... the change... life.

I like confetti.

I like children.

As a grandchild, I feel we are highly underrated.

Not permissive. Kids need some boundaries. But as I don't have any kids, I don't feel qualified to have much of an opinion on the subject.

Some.

Have no idea.

Pass.

Dario D.
05-15-2008, 06:14 AM

I'm big on thinking and philosophy (hence where I decided to become a "perctioneer" [see text under name, to the left]), and do lots of crap (http://www.deefrag.com/). Probably too much crap, though I'm very picky about what I do with my time. (right now is "burnout time" - too mentally tired to get to the workload at the moment. Gotta do something easy, like post on the forums)

My name is Dario D. (let's not touch my last name), and I'm 21.

I thoroughly enjoy my work, and my hobbies happen to also be my work.

Similar to my opinion of today's dog crap.

It got worse. (btw, I'm 21, so not a whole lot has happened)

Don't ask me about this.

Immediate goals: get my projects (http://www.deefrag.com/projects.htm) done.

Long-term goals: overthrow the flaws of all mankind, and rip it's failures out.

5 years ago I was running in circles, as utterly clueless about life as anyone else. No... I got rid of those goals.

I'm still in my early 20's... let's change the question to "early 10's":

[See above answers, and piece together]

Yeah. I thoroughly enjoy listening to my brain, if and when it's in the mood to serve. (which is a roll of the dice)

- Not be like everyone else sooner.
- Hang out with the nerds at school, and abandon the popular people like trash at a landfill.
- Begin homeschooling at a much earlier age.
- Treat my brother/mom better in my younger years.

Making a comedy-based video series that tackles the flaws of man from the core, in a deeply philosophical way.

Marriage: I'm quite excited about meeting my wife, whoever she is.
Sex: I'll tell her about this one... not you fools. ;)

I like children.

I'll buy them ice cream, and show them the video-games/movies/books/art/photos/music I made when I was younger.

An Alphailic manner. (better to not ask)

My friends today are the same (good homeshool friends). What I notice most is how intelligent and well-rounded they all are, compared to public school grads, who's special areas of expertise can usually be counted on the two ends of a popsicle stick.

It won't come if I stay active.

Using my noggin to think through crap that I'm presented with; not just reacting, reacting, reacting, and using the world's ideas of limitations and expectations to dictate mine.

Blondchen
05-15-2008, 07:34 AM
1.Describe yourself briefly. Peaches 'n' cream.

2.How do you feel about your work? How do you feel about your hobbies or special interests? My hobbies are my work.

3.What is your opinion of today’s youth? Probably the same as a 32 year old had of me when I was 16.

4.What changes have taken place in society since the time you were a teenager? One word - mobile.

5.Do you have any special philosophy that guides your life? Let me think. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm. No.

6.What are your immediate goals? What are your long-range goals?My immediate goal is to stop procrastinating and write my 1000 fucking words tonight. Long term? Keep laughing.

7.What were you doing 5 years ago? Have you attained some of the goals that you set for yourself since that time? Five years ago I was a professional opera singer with a temp job trying to make ends meet. I'm not sure I've attained any of my goals but they have definitely, er, shifted.

8.In what ways are you a different person than you were in your early 20’s? I'm not.

9.Have you had a mentor in your adult life? Let me think. Ummmmmmmmmmmm. No.

10.If you had your life to live over again, what would you do differently? I would have taken out less in student loans.

11.What do you look forward to most in the future? As long as the sun is still rising tomorrow, I'm looking forward to the day. Come to think of it, if the sun DIDN'T rise, that would be interesting, too.

12.How do you feel about marriage? How do you feel about sex? Optional. Necessity.

13.How do you feel about children? (Whether a parent or not.) They are fun to dress up.

14.How do you feel about grandchildren? (Whether a grandparent or not.) See above.

15.Do you think children should be raised in a permissive, authoritarian, or authoritative manner? (Whether a parent or not.) They should be raised by nannies and have as little contact with their actual parents as is humanly possible. :D

16.How do your friendships today compare to those during your teens? Do you have the same friends? I have many of the same friends and the friends I've added over the years getting along with the old ones.

17.How do you feel about old age? Botox.

18.What else do you think is relevant to your personality and development as an adult? Let me think. Ummmmmmmmmmm. Champagne.